HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's exactly what I said. The PLD to Montreal rumor is similar to the Trouba to the Rangers rumor.

Trouba was an RFA also and only wanted to go to the Rangers. Like PLD now, Jets had no obligation to send Trouba to New York. But despite it all, they ended up trading him to the Rangers for Pionk + a 1st. Trouba was not going to sign with anyone else. So that worked in Trouba's favor because teams might not have been willing to give up more to get someone who had no intention of staying there.

Difference is that was a 2019 pick. I do not want to give up a 2023 pick at all for Dubois not even Florida's. It's a generational draft.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Respectfully I don't see how a podcast and confirmed reports of him being at the draft, which are definitely true, lead to the Jets changed the deal. Either side could still have done that.
Not likely. Hughes has a lot of guys to move. He is not going to hinder those moves by reneging on a deal. But I bet HuGo wouldn't take another team changing a deal kindly. Backing out maybe but changing a deal No.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
You're right - the Dach theory makes no sense.
Jets owned the 14th pick and could've added another pick of their own to acquire him as opposed to adding the complexity of having us acquire him to flip him to them
Crazy theory time.

Hughes tried to make a deal to get the Jets 14th pick + Dubois, but Chevy decided to ask for more since it was in Montréal and he believed he could force Hughes's hand. But Hughes found a cheap deal to get #13 instead.

Reactions: ReHabs

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
Crazy theory time.

Hughes tried to make a deal to get the Jets 14th pick + Dubois, but Chevy decided to ask for more since it was in Montréal and he believed he could force Hughes's hand. But Hughes found a cheap deal to get #13 instead.
More plausible than Dach being part of the Dubois trade

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not likely. Hughes has a lot of guys to move. He is not going to hinder those moves by reneging on a deal. But I bet HuGo wouldn't take another team changing a deal kindly. Backing out maybe but changing a deal No.

I don't see how it's out of the realm of possibility that Hughes may have tried to get the price lowered a bit. GMs are trying to maximize their value. And from 11 years of experience with Chevy backing out of a deal last minute like this would be the first time he's done it. His MO is having a price and not changing it. It's not unusual to think that Hughes said we're not moving X now why not take Y and Chevy said no we're not doing it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Add in Stamkos and Crosby, who both could have got more as well on the open market (although PLD is clearly not in their tier).

I’m just hoping if Montreal signs PLD it’s not because they outbid every team, it’s because PLD accepted a fair contract because he wants to play in Montreal.

I also believe a player taking less than what he could have got on the open market is a discount.
Exceptions don't make the rule...you're pointing out a tiny percentage of players.

Could Dubois take a discount to sign in Montreal?

Maybe

Not sure it should be expected of him though.

Players want/should get paid....good for them when they raise the bar.

Habs are not giving a top 5 upcoming first pick for a guy that wants to go to Montreal and that Jets won't be able to keep.

That would incredibly dumb to do that because that draft is absolutely top notch. Dubois value is not worth that much. We are talking a second line player and not a player like Seider
Who said anything about giving up a top 5 pick?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What was wrong with Rogers? Do they have online streaming? I watched a bunch on the Sportsnet App.

Rogers was down that day. So anyone who had Rogers on their TV, Internet or phone had no service that day. It was a country wide system breakdown. And since Rogers owns Fido, anyone who had a phone with Fido was also down.

Thanksfully, I have Bell TV and Internet so I didn't miss out on anything regarding the 2nd day of the draft.

I do have a Fido phone so my cell was useless that day. I actually had to use the house phone to make calls. I had forgotten how to hold a house phone. My hand was cramping from that. :laugh:

Top 10 protected only.

Top-16 protected. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This is intriguing

Brisson might be forcing their hands so the Jets elect themselves to go for arbitration.

And this is the big difference if the club decide to move to arbitration because the player refuse to sign his QO which seems to be the case right now, the player ends up deciding the terms for their arbitration, either it's one year or 2 years AND the team can't place the numbers lower than the qualifying offer on the table (In this case it's 6M$) so they are not starting at a good numbers here for negotiations, teams usually lowball their offers in arbitration and it usually ends up near the middle.

If Dubois decide the arbitration is going to be for 2 years.....the team can walk away but compare to when it's the player that elect to go to arbitration, even if the team walks away of a 2 years arbitration case, they are still force to give him that contract for one year and the player is UFA at the end of the season.

Well at minimum he's getting his Q.O. Not sure what the dates are for club elected arbitration. If Jets don't take him to arbitration, PLD should sign his QO and go back to Jets.

Reactions: Milhouse40

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Well at minimum he's getting his Q.O. Not sure what the dates are for club elected arbitration. If Jets don't take him to arbitration, PLD should sign his QO and go back to Jets.

Club Elected Salary Arbitration eligibility (second window):

• For the 2021-22 off-season, due to the extended season schedule (originally intended for the Olympics), the second window spans Jul 17, 2022 at 5:01pm ET to July 18, 2022 at 5:00pm ET

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
PLD is not coming here, not in the short term anyways.

HuGo is busy figuring out ways to shed salary, making sure the Habs finish last for years. Yesterday's trade was brutal. HuGo's off season moves have been subpar, apart from the Dadonov deal. Moving Romanov and acquiring Dach was a step backwards. I must say tearing apart BargainBin's mess is quite challenging.

The french media is at it again, conspiring and fooling us fans. PLD is a slight upgrade over Drouin. He hasn't exactly moved the needle for the Jets. The Habs are rebuilding, why the heck would Dubois want to join? It makes no sense giving up assets from the Habs' perspective.

I rather see HuGo get creative and rid himself of Price, Drouin, Byron, Armia and Gallagher.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't see how it's out of the realm of possibility that Hughes may have tried to get the price lowered a bit. GMs are trying to maximize their value. And from 11 years of experience with Chevy backing out of a deal last minute like this would be the first time he's done it. His MO is having a price and not changing it. It's not unusual to think that Hughes said we're not moving X now why not take Y and Chevy said no we're not doing it.
Has Gorton been known to go back on deals? If not he wouldn't let Hughes do it either. It is possible Habs backed out of the deal although i don't see it with Dubois in attendance.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Has Gorton been known to go back on deals? If not he wouldn't let Hughes do it either. It is possible Habs backed out of the deal although i don't see it with Dubois in attendance.

I think the more likely explanation is that the Habs needed something for the Dach deal that they'd include in the Dubois deal and Chevy said no, and they couldn't agree on a replacement.

I doubt either GM flat out said "I've changed my mind we're not doing that". Something changed and the deal fell through.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
PLD is not coming here, not in the short term anyways.
HuGo is busy figuring out ways to shed salary, making sure the Habs finish last for years. Yesterday's trade was brutal. HuGo's off season moves have been subpar, apart from the Dadonov deal. Moving Romanov and acquiring Dach was a step backwards. I must say tearing apart BargainBin's mess is quite challenging.
The french media is at it again, conspiring and fooling us fans. PLD is a slight upgrade over Drouin. He hasn't exactly moved the needle for the Jets. The Habs are rebuilding, why the heck would Dubois want to join? It makes no sense giving up assets from the Habs' perspective.
I rather see HuGo get creative and rid himself of Price, Drouin, Byron, Armia and Gallagher.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Here what would be my offer for PLD
Dvorak + 2nd 2023 + 2nd 2024 and Byron for cap.
Take or leave it or see you in 2 years Dubois.
They'd probably hang up right away. I'm willing to wait 2 years also, it's not a big deal. Knowing PLD wants to leave, and wants to specifically go to Montreal really sours his trade value to other teams as he's only seen as a 1-2 year rental at most. So you're essentially paying for 2 years of RFA years for PLD. Clearly, none of the young key players are going to be included as both teams know it's not worth it. Right away, they're going to ask for a few picks, probably 2-3 mid tier(2-3 Rd) picks. Then they'll ask for a centre to replace PLD. Dvorak is the only sensible option. Then they'll probably ask for a mid winger in the vein of a Gallagher, Armia, etc. Habs would want to alleviate cap so I could actually see them giving away Anderson if Armia is also combined. A B-level prospect will probably also be included.

So I can see PLD for:

Dvorak, Anderson, Armia, 2nd, 3rd, B-Prospect

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Rogers was down that day. So anyone who had Rogers on their TV, Internet or phone had no service that day. It was a country wide system breakdown. And since Rogers owns Fido, anyone who had a phone with Fido was also down.

Thanksfully, I have Bell TV and Internet so I didn't miss out on anything regarding the 2nd day of the draft.

I do have a Fido phone so my cell was useless that day. I actually had to use the house phone to make calls. I had forgotten how to hold a house phone. My hand was cramping from that. :laugh:

Top-16 protected. :sarcasm:
Ah I remember that happening but I have nothing through Rogers so I didn't remember which day it happened lol

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad