HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If Barrie can't be useful in Montreal, don't just forget the 4th round pick, forget the whole deal.

So, would he be useful to us? More than Hoffman? Of so, how much more?
We have to have someone to pair up with Edmundson and take on tough assignments.

Barrie can't really defend all that well, but it's a role you wouldn't want to give to a rookie anyway. There is no development to be stunted or confidence to be broken in Barrie's case. He also replaces what Petry brought in terms of puck-moving ability on that pairing.

Barrie is also a legitimately good powerplay quarterback. That's important for our young forwards.

It allows us to deploy Matheson - Savard in less challenging situations, which is good if you want to maximize Matheson's impact.

I think he could be useful.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It's actually not totally crazy but Gallagher won't waive his NTC to go to Winnipeg, so why are we talking about this?
bc anything we talk about in here is speculation... it is what we do.. So if Gally waives his NTC to allow this offer to work - do you take it?

So did the Jets change the agreed-upon Dubois trade when we got Dach which is why it hasn't happened yet? Must mean that they want Dach.
my understanding is that Chevy changed the perimeter to the "agreed" upon PLD trade before the draft.. prompting Hugo to go after Dach.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That is a possibility.
I mean if Dubois was at the draft, it was surely for him to be there in front of the fans. Unless he had a little brother that was going to get drafted, it makes no sense why else he would be there.

If I were Hughes and this was true, I'd counter the Jets with a worse offer and say take it or leave it and refrain from dealing with them in the future. That's bad etiquette to change your offer when it was already agreed upon.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So did the Jets change the agreed-upon Dubois trade when we got Dach which is why it hasn't happened yet? Must mean that they want Dach.

That's my read on this as well.

From a Jets POV, I have a different read. I understand both sides will think that their guy didn't change it, but this is my scenario:

The Jets and Habs had a deal for Dubois ready. Maybe it depended on who was available at 7, but they had one.

Hughes is presented with the opportunity to get Dach. Now he has some leverage over the Jets so he says "I've got a chance at another guy for a bit less". Now the guy who was in the trade is someone the Habs don't want to give up anymore. Is it a d-man prospect like Guhle or Barron that becomes less expendable now that you've had to move Romanov?

Jets balk on the new deal and the trade doesn't go through.

I think there's an equal likelihood of both, but we know Hughes and PLD's agent have been very public about him wanting to play for you guys, and the Dach trade seemed to come together quickly, so there's support to the idea that it was Hughes who tried to change the trade at the last minute.

Could've been Chevy as well. We may never know for sure.

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
Can't wait for Dubois to fleece us for 8x11 million on free market after he puts up b2b 70 point seasons
If money's what he really wants he'll get it - he doesn't have to sign a long-term contract now if we trade for him, and if he plays disgruntled in Winnipeg next year he's unlikely to up better numbers than he did last year which may actually lower his value

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
From a Jets POV, I have a different read. I understand both sides will think that their guy didn't change it, but this is my scenario:

The Jets and Habs had a deal for Dubois ready. Maybe it depended on who was available at 7, but they had one.

Hughes is presented with the opportunity to get Dach. Now he has some leverage over the Jets so he says "I've got a chance at another guy for a bit less". Now the guy who was in the trade is someone the Habs don't want to give up anymore. Is it a d-man prospect like Guhle or Barron that becomes less expendable now that you've had to move Romanov?

I think there's an equal likelihood of both, but we know Hughes and PLD's agent have been very public about him wanting to play for you guys, and the Dach trade seemed to come together quickly, so there's support to the idea that it was Hughes who tried to change the trade at the last minute.

Not sure about that as Hughes has been trying to inquire about Dach for weeks before the draft. He said it's been in the process for weeks.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Maybe the Jets want Scheifle included in the talks ?
Both he and Wheeler got called out at the end of the season as being locker room cancers

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I mean if Dubois was at the draft, it was surely for him to be there in front of the fans. Unless he had a little brother that was going to get drafted, it makes no sense why else he would be there.

If I were Hughes and this was true, I'd counter the Jets with a worse offer and say take it or leave it and refrain from dealing with them in the future. That's bad etiquette to change your offer when it was already agreed upon.

So Renaud Lavoie might not have been that crazy after all. He was probably aware a deal for Dubois was agreed upon and would be made official at some point. But Cheveldayoff probably, as you say, ended up changing the ask.

Reactions: The Great Weal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We have to have someone to pair up with Edmundson and take on tough assignments.

Barrie can't really defend all that well, but it's a role you wouldn't want to give to a rookie anyway. There is no development to be stunted or confidence to be broken in Barrie's case. He also replaces what Petry brought in terms of puck-moving ability on that pairing.

Barrie is also a legitimately good powerplay quarterback. That's important for our young forwards.

It allows us to deploy Matheson - Savard in less challenging situations, which is good if you want to maximize Matheson's impact.

I think he could be useful.
Good. Send the 4th to seal the deal.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So Renaud Lavoie might not have been that crazy after all. He was probably aware a deal for Dubois was agreed upon and would be made official at some point. But Cheveldayoff probably, as you say, ended up changing the ask.
I'm assuming the Lavoie trade was the Petry one and the Pens were trying to complete the Marino trade before getting Petry.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
From Winnipeg? Maybe a bit.

How is it an overpay? Two huge contracts gone. Cap relief.

It's basically the rumored deal + Tuch.
Anderson can be moved for a haul without retaining a cent on his contract whether you like him or not.

Acting like just getting rid of his contract is plus value is just plain wrong. That’s not even considering that Winnipeg has no leverage, Habs don’t need to trade for him.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Except all the reports say that it was Jets that came back & asked for a player that Montreal didn't want to part with & Hughes says no. No one knows who Jets asked for, but Chevy is the one who tried to get more from Montreal. Now, it's stalemated.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Except all the reports say that it was Jets that came back & asked for a player that Montreal didn't want to part with & Hughes says no. No one knows who Jets asked for, but Chevy is the one who tried to get more from Montreal. Now, it's stalemated.
That player they want has to be Dach, doesn't really make sense for it to be anyone else

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

That's the Petry trade. Montreal had to wait til Pens moved money, so he was right. That was definitely set-up at draft, as there is a moment in Day 1 where Hughes goes over to Pens table and discusses things with Hextall.

The Dubois trade would have been a pre-trade like Romanov/Dach trade and announced at the draft with PLD in attendance.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure about that as Hughes has been trying to inquire about Dach for weeks before the draft. He said it's been in the process for weeks.

They'll always say that, but even if that's true, having Dach as an option at the draft means you might want to spend a little less on Dubois. Maybe they've been asking about Dach but Chicago didn't decide until the start of the draft to accept.

There's this theory out there on the Jets board that Dach was acquired as part of a return to Winnipeg for Dubois but I don't believe that. I think Montreal wants Suzuki/Dubois/Dach for the long-term future but maybe tried to use the Dach situation to lower the price on Dubois.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Just curious, What are your thoughts of PLD as an NHL C? How is his defensive game and ability to win key draws? It seems to me like he took shifts off when I saw him (mostly 2 years ago)... is that still the case?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

There are reports that the Jets want a player that Montreal doesn't want to give up, I haven't seen one that says the Jets suddenly asked for a player that Montreal said no to. If there is please link it. I'm just saying it's a theory - it could also be the Jets trying to exercise the little leverage they have as you suggest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad