HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
So the 'rumours' from various Mtl and 'Peg sources are that Jets are insisting on a particular player. I don't think it's Anderson as they'd like to pair him with PLD, and then posted this am it was revealed that it appears to be Dach. I don't think I'd like to, but in the end, i'd move Dach in the deal + Fla's 1st BUT not much more. Jets would also need to take a salary back like armia or hoffman. We can then move Dvorak in a separate deal at some point for a younger 3C or whatever.

Slaf/suzuki/caufield
anderson/PLD/ ?

is exciting to me

at C..u have suzuki/PLD/Dvo/Evans
Why exactly are you so eager to give up 1st round picks and 20 year old NHlers for a 2C in the middle of a rebuild?

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
For PLD, a legit 1st line C or LW. And a 1st in 23, which could very well be a top 5, with some luck Bedard.

Sure CC is a star (as is PLD) but you have to offer something of value to WPG to accept. Gallagher would be a huge win to get rid of, imo PLD (who wants to play his whole career in mtl) will produce more with suzuki, we get bigger, and a 1st next year.

This is not a step backwards. I would say a perfect sidestep of talent, with massive upside and a cleansing of our books.
Just hang onto Gallagher for now. There should be better opportunities to move him down the road. It would be insane to give away a talent like Caulfield to dump that contract.

I cannot see the Habs finishing outside the bottom 5 next season. That 2023 first, in a stacked draft with its cost control, is too valuableto give up for PLD. Just because he wants to play here doesn't mean the Habs should overpay to acquire him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well, if we can ship CC + Gally (worst contract on our books) for PLD + 1st 23 (very possible to be a lottery pick)

Habs would be crazy not to accept it.

PLD slots in on the wing with Suzuki. We get wayyy bigger, and have a kings ransom of Cs to choose from for the next decade: Suzuki-PLD-Dach-Dvorak-Evans (all of which can play wing if needed)

Caufield won't go anywhere. Even if it helps rid yourself of Gallagher's contract. If anything, I see them prefer to hold onto Gallagher even if his contract is heavy because the leadership he brings and the mentorship is valuable.

Even if Hoffman and Armia are the contracts they want to offload, they will never include Caufield in a deal to do that.

If Suzuki or Caufield are names Cheveldayoff brings up in trade talks, I tell him to keep PLD.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Discount? Why?

He's hitting free agency in his prime at 26...that ain't happening.

As for the culture...im sure this kind of stuff is common
Because he specifically wants to come to Montreal. Why would he gouge them? Montreal would hold some leverage there too.

Anyways my point isn’t that the Habs will get PLD for a 7th rounder. But the price will be lower than Jets fans expect.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
On the main board, someone posted Barzal in the case the Islanders can't resign Barzal. Thought this deal seemed fairly reasonable.

To Canadiens
* Pierre-Luc Dubois

To Jets
* Christian Dvorak
* Matthew Barzal
* Luke Tuch
* 3rd Round Pick, 2024 (NYI)

To Islanders
* 1st Round Pick, 2023 (FLA)
* Josh Anderson
* Chaz Lucius

Personally, I don't really care about getting Dubois or not... but if he wants to play here, I guess that's a huge bonus especially if he'd sign a more team friendly deal than he would otherwise.

It's pretty expensive for MTL in this scenario, but it also gives us some cap relief which is important. And while Tuch is still a solid prospect, he's not a can't miss prospect so I don't mind including him considering how deep our prospect pool is.
Fairly reasonable? The Islanders give their 1st line center for Anderson, a late first and an average prospect? How the f*** does that make sense?

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm really curious who the 3 pieces of the deal the Habs offered and was ready to be accepted by the Jets, who then turned and asked for someone the Habs weren't willing to move.

You imagine one of them is Dvorak. I doubt Jets would give up PLD and not get a center back. Especially one who still has 3 years left at a really good cap hit.
Poehling was probably one. IF there was an offer as reported (which I doubt)

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If they can make a deal that doesn't involve:
Slaf
Suzuki
Cole
Guhle
Habs 2023 1st
Then fine, do it. Otherwise it is stupid to lose valuable assets and IMPROVE on a critical draft year where we need another top pick.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Fairly reasonable? The Islanders give their 1st line center for Anderson, a late first and an average prospect? How the f*** does that make sense?
Must be a Jets fan. Jets make out like bandits trading guy they have to move.

Must be a Jets fan. Jets make out like bandits trading guy they have to move.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because he specifically wants to come to Montreal. Why would he gouge them? Montreal would hold some leverage there too.

Anyways my point isn’t that the Habs will get PLD for a 7th rounder. But the price will be lower than Jets fans expect.
Because players want to maximize their earning...especially as first time free agents.

His agent nor his player association wouldn't let him take a discount.

It's not about gouging, it's about raising the salary floor for players who willl come after.

I do agree that price will be lower from the Habs...hence why I think they're better off finding a better deal elsewhere or just wait it out.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
All the reports say he specifically wants to go to Montreal and intends to sign there in 2 years. There’s no mention of other teams. It’s not a report of wanting out of Winnipeg and throwing the Habs name out by his agent like many others do. Habs hold the cards

So out of 32 teams, there's only one he wants to play with?
But nevermind that, in what world that force the Jets to deal with us only?

There was no mention of Columbus either before Gaudreau went ufa neither.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So out of 32 teams, there's only one he wants to play with?
But nevermind that, in what world that force the Jets to deal with us only?

There was no mention of Columbus either before Gaudreau went ufa neither.
Yes, that’s what the report is alluding to. The language would be completely different if he just wanted out. But this is hammering home “Montreal in two years anyways”

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Chevy: our guy PLD says he really wants to play for you guys. He says he won't sign with us.

KH : Oh! That's great...

Chevy: So we want to trade him to you.

KH: Oh really?

Chevy:. Yes and he's really good so you have to give us a 1st and your center who's cheaper and about as good as him and some of your best prospects...

KH: Ah, but we're sort of in the middle of a rebuild and we kind of suck so that wouldn't make any sense for us. Besides, didn't you say he won't sign with you and wants to play here?

Chevy: I hate you Kent Hughes. Goodbye!

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Chevy: our guy PLD says he really wants to play for you guys. He says he won't sign with us.

KH : Oh! That's great...

Chevy: So we want to trade him to you.

KH: Oh really?

Chevy:. Yes and he's really good so you have to give us a 1st and your center who's cheaper and about as good as him and some of your best prospects...

KH: Ah, but we're sort of in the middle of a rebuild and we kind of suck so that wouldn't make any sense for us. Besides, didn't you say he won't sign with you and wants to play here?

Chevy: I hate you Kent Hughes. Goodbye!

...maybe HuGo should use a 3rd party to make it interesting...call Chuck Fletcher and tell him he has to take all the risk & all the crap back, but it's BIG crap, so he'll like it...we give up very little, the Jets give up PLD and get a bunch of stuff from Philly, and Fletcher gets MOAR BIG!!...and fleeced out of his skivvies...and Peace settles across the Galaxy again...:laugh:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I fully expect a Hoffman/Barrie swap to happen at some point. Contracts are the exact same. Oilers only have 9 forwards signed and Hughes specifically said he wants a RD (and the Habs need a PP QB). It makes too much sense.
I’ve been proposing this for a while now. Habs got way too many wingers and Oilers will try to accommodate a Poolparty trade and need a replacement.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I just try to keep it real.. i dont think WPG would accept this offer, specifically bc of the 23 1st unprotected.

Fans are wayyy too enamoured with CC. He'll have a fine career, and i do like his positive personality.. but cmon here.. hes 5'6", and basically a perimeter scorer. I'm not thinking of regular season stats, im thinking of Stanley cup, and PLD is who id prefer to have lined up come playoffs.
And yet the year they both were in the playoffs, Caufield outperformed Dubois easily.

Reactions: SlafySZN

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, if we can ship CC + Gally (worst contract on our books) for PLD + 1st 23 (very possible to be a lottery pick)

Habs would be crazy not to accept it.

PLD slots in on the wing with Suzuki. We get wayyy bigger, and have a kings ransom of Cs to choose from for the next decade: Suzuki-PLD-Dach-Dvorak-Evans (all of which can play wing if needed)
Did you not read the part about Gallagher's no trade clause?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Because players want to maximize their earning...especially as first time free agents.

His agent nor his player association wouldn't let him take a discount.

It's not about gouging, it's about raising the salary floor for players who willl come after.

I do agree that price will be lower from the Habs...hence why I think they're better off finding a better deal elsewhere or just wait it out.

There have been lots of UFAs who took less to sign with a team they want to play for. For example Tavares could have got a lot more in San Jose but wanted to play in Toronto, Gaudreau could have got more in Calgary. Hopefully PLD is the same if he wants to play for the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad