HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
There's no way Islanders are trading Barzal for Anderson. Didn't you say yesterday that Anderson isn't a big piece for Dubois? But, now he goes for Barzal? :huh:

Centers are way more valuable than wingers, which is why Dvorak was in the trade.
I think Anderson sucks. So much. Everyone else here or there, including insiders, all insist he has a ton of value. So I take their word for it. Obviously Bergevin thought he was next coming of greatness.

I don't think they'd take the trade either, it was just based off what the Isles fan asked for on the main board. 1st + Roster Player + Top Prospect. It was under the thought if Barzal refused to sign.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We don't hold all the cards......that's a false assumption.

Dubois also never said the Habs was the ONLY team he would like to play with........and as we just saw with Gaudreau, we shouldn't make those assumptions on where he wants to play, NJ and NYI thought they had a huge advantage.

As a rental, knowing full well he was going UFA, Claude Giroux cost a 1st round pick + Owen Tippett + 3rd round pick. Jets can sign Dubois for 2 years, wait until this year or next year TDL and get a similar return for him if not more.

Sure as hell if Dubois ends up in Tampa or NYR, he won't wait to go UFA just to come in Montreal.....

So Montreal doesn't hold all the cards at all....it would only be the case if Dubois was under contract with a full NMC, then Montreal would be the only option for a trade. This is not the case.
Not to mention we now have the opportunity to sign him until a very reasonable age of 31 and using Nick Suzuki's salary as an internal ceiling.

Not going to be the case if he hits the UFA market.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think he misunderstood you and thought you meant to add more 1st round picks to the deal, whereas you meant we might add more 1st rounders to our stock by moving assets at the TDL.
Correct!

Perhaps the original post was misleading.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
So, we give you Anderson, Dvorak, Floridas first and Tuch for Dubois?
Give me? You realize I'm a Montreal fan and I've been here since like 2005, right?!

Getting rid of the $10M in cap space is just a bonus to getting PLD for Tuch and a 1st.

And it seems like we'll end up with PLD anyway, so might as well get him now and lock him up a bit cheaper than in two years.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Dubois also never said the Habs was the ONLY team he would like to play with........and as we just saw with Gaudreau, we shouldn't make those assumptions on where he wants to play, NJ and NYI thought they had a huge advantage.

As a rental, knowing full well he was going UFA, Claude Giroux cost a 1st round pick + Owen Tippett + 3rd round pick. Jets can sign Dubois for 2 years, wait until this year or next year TDL and get a similar return for him if not more.

Sure as hell if Dubois ends up in Tampa or NYR, he won't wait to go UFA just to come in Montreal.....

So Montreal doesn't hold all the cards at all....it would only be the case if Dubois was under contract with a full NMC, then Montreal would be the only option for a trade. This is not the case.
All the reports say he specifically wants to go to Montreal and intends to sign there in 2 years. There’s no mention of other teams. It’s not a report of wanting out of Winnipeg and throwing the Habs name out by his agent like many others do. Habs hold the cards

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Well said...I said it yesterday, if I put myself in the shoes of the Jets GM for a second.

There's almost zero incentive in sending Dubois to the Habs right now.

They're not obliged to yield to his preference, especially not when they know the Habs aren't going to pressed to send an overwhelming offer.

Reactions: Milhouse40

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He clearly wants to play. Ultimately it'll be his decision and the sucks for us.
What makes you think he wants to play? I’ve never seen a player procrastinate so much from an injury. It’s not like he tore his ACL and we waited. He was practicing on ice for months then was pretty quick to stop playing again. He’s toast.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I was hoping we could trade for Samuel Girard. A trade with the Avs would’ve been difficult though with our salary cap situation.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Where is this rumor?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought it was rumored that the deal was Anderson + Dvorak + 1st but Chev tried to get more since the draft was in Montreal and Hughes ended talks.

Maybe that was just speculation by one of the insiders.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hard to comment on what happens behind the scenes. I feel like he’s made it very clear to two teams that he wants to be in MTL. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s been a trade request in WPG since he was moved there.

Personally, it doesn’t really bother me. We don’t know the whole story as to why he wants to be in MTL. All we know is that he wants to be here, he’s willing to risk his reputation to do it, and we can be fairly confident he’ll sign a long term contract here. If his love for the CH is enough to go through two major contract disputes and get dragged in the media just to play here, that’s a lot more than can be said for many of our players.
I don’t have an issue with him wanting to be here but while he’s under contract with another team, seems to me it’s unprofessional for any player to openly divulge and discuss information that is detrimental to a team that he owes allegiance to.

How would we feel if we kept hearing that Suzuki wants to play for the Leafs or that Caufield would much prefer a US-based team and did so repeatedly. Would that not undermine the character component that Hughes has so often reiterated, is important to his team building strategy?

Smacks of a spoiled child syndrome. I wonder how his teammates in Winnipeg are taking it. Imagine he’s still on the team in October — who’s going to want to go to war with someone like that?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All the reports say he specifically wants to go to Montreal and intends to sign there in 2 years. There’s no mention of other teams. It’s not a report of wanting out of Winnipeg and throwing the Habs name out by his agent like many others do. Habs hold the cards
Not really...even with the knowledge that the Habs are going to sign him in 2 years.

The Jets could trade Dubois to another team today and still get what *should be* a better offer than the Habs *should* give up.

Even if that team knows Dubois is bouncing in 2 years.

The best offer the Habs *should* give centers around a 1st round pick + salary (I.e. Dvorak) + B level prospect (just speculating here)

There's no freaking way the Habs should sending more than that with the knowledge they can sign him for "free" in 2 years.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That doesn’t make sense lol. Hughes made a deal for the islanders 13th specifically to get Dach, he was searching for a team willing to trade a high pick because that was what chicago was asking. He said it himself. Kinda funny how people make scenarios with things Hughes already talked about. :help:
For sure. I don’t think Dach has anything to do with a PDL trade. If anything they want them to pair together.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well said...I said it yesterday, if I put myself in the shoes of the Jets GM for a second.

There's almost zero incentive in sending Dubois to the Habs right now.

They're not obliged to yield to his preference, especially not when they know the Habs aren't going to pressed to send an overwhelming offer.
Chevy can play other cards, like making PLD a draft deadline deal. Or trading him now to a destination team that can try to convince him. What are the odds Dubois says no to LA, NY or Florida?

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought it was rumored that the deal was Anderson + Dvorak + 1st but Chev tried to get more since the draft was in Montreal and Hughes ended talks.

the actual report was 3 players for Dubois from Martin Leclerc (Radio Canada)

then I read from the athletic speculating it as Dvorak + Anderson + prospect

Reactions: Natey and morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

The rumored/speculated deal was 3 players: Anderson + Dvorak and mostly likely a prospect (I suspect it was Norlinder) and Chev either wanted more or he wanted to swap one of the player for another one.

Reactions: Natey

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not really...even with the knowledge that the Habs are going to sign him in 2 years.

The Jets could trade Dubois to another team today and still get what *should be* a better offer than the Habs *should* give up.

Even if that team knows Dubois is bouncing in 2 years.

The best offer the Habs *should* give centers around a 1st round pick + salary (I.e. Dvorak) + B level prospect (just speculating here)

There's no freaking way the Habs should sending more than that with the knowledge they can sign him for "free" in 2 years.
So they hold the cards in terms of the price to acquire him. If he didn’t want out, the price to acquire a 24 year old 60 point two-way centre would be huge. But now we are talking about Dvorak + other random pieces. Another team might trade for him but it won’t be a massive price.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chevy can play other cards, like making PLD a draft deadline deal. Or trading him now to a destination team that can try to convince him. What are the odds Dubois says no to LA, NY or Florida?
We see teams bend over for pending UFAs at the trade deadline every year.

It would be foolish to think that teams won't pay up for 2 years of Dubois, even if they know hes walking straight to Montreal after.

My initial reaction was the same...that the Habs hold the big stick here, but more I thought about it, the more I realized it's not quite the case.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I don’t have an issue with him wanting to be here but while he’s under contract with another team, seems to me it’s unprofessional for any player to openly divulge and discuss information that is detrimental to a team that he owes allegiance to.

How would we feel if we kept hearing that Suzuki wants to play for the Leafs or that Caufield would much prefer a US-based team and did so repeatedly. Would that not undermine the character component that Hughes has so often reiterated, is important to his team building strategy?

Smacks of a spoiled child syndrome. I wonder how his teammates in Winnipeg are taking it. Imagine he’s still on the team in October — who’s going to want to go to war with someone like that?
You’re not wrong! We really have to rely on HuGo to do their due diligence on how he is in the room. Seems to me like once he’s here and under contract that there won’t be an issue, but it’s hard to say.

DailyKaizen

Thanks for that clockwork orange dose of reality.

This PLD affair has Hossa's gloves spotted at the airport all over again. A new saga is beginning, the game is afoot.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Who cares? There are 5 better centres than him in the 2023 draft. He either comes cheap or he can go somewhere else.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...why is this place soo set on giving up a bunch of quality assets for a guy that:

1. Isn't any more than a good (not fantastic or phenomenal) #2C
2. Has bailed on his draft team already and plans to do the same to The 'Peg
3. Can be as mercurial as Armia on the ice - when he's on, great; when he's not, he's piss poor
4. Seems a bit too, oh let's say, entitled...

...seriously, if his last name was Douglas or Dewar or Dvorsky, would there be such a hardcore push from a good portion of this fanbase??...we are gonna TANK this season and more than likely the next...we will not be a truly competitive team for a few years...why give up a shyte-ton of our quality young assets for this guy right now??...in two years, if he truly wants to be here, sign here...that's it...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So they hold the cards in terms of the price to acquire him. If he didn’t want out, the price to acquire a 24 year old 60 point two-way centre would be huge. But now we are talking about Dvorak + other random pieces. Another team might trade for him but it won’t be a massive price.
Teams give up more than that at the deadline for players they know might play 18is regular season games and a playoff run.

What makes you think they won't for a guy they have 2 years of control over and the ability to perhaps convince him to stay?

There's kind of a beautiful dichotomy to this trade because...

On one hand, the Habs should absolutely not give up significant assets for a player they know they can sign for free in 2 years

On the other, the Jets should not assume another team wouldn't give up significant assets to land Dubois even if it is for only 2 years.

I think both of these elements = ain't nothing happening any time soon. They'll continue to play chicken until the next pressure point.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Teams give up more than that at the deadline for players they know might play 18is regular season games and a playoff run.

What makes you think they won't for a guy they have 2 years of control over and the ability to perhaps convince him to stay?

There's kind of a beautiful dichotomy to this trade because...

On one hand, the Habs should absolutely not give up significant assets for a player they know they can sign for free in 2 years

On the other, the Jets should not assume another team wouldn't give up significant assets to land Dubois even if it is for only 2 years.

I think both of these elements = ain't nothing happening any time soon. They'll continue to play chicken until the next pressure point.
But those guys are motivated to play for another contract and to win a Cup. Plus there’s a chance they re-sign with the team that acquired them. Different circumstances.

Reactions: Habs13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad