HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We can be stubborn too, which is why Brisson is freaking out right now. Frankly, I wouldn't trade Dach either.
I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to ask for Dach, assuming we're re-signing Dubois long term.

It should, however, substantially reduce the quality and amount of other future pieces to be included in this deal. So, no Barron, for example.

I would make this trade if Dach is the main piece.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
The Leafs already has a bunch of top tier players. We have none. We have nothing remotely close to a Huberdeau level player anywhere in our system or pipeline either.
In Florida Huberdeau is surrounded by top tier talent as well, if he comes here we'll see a significant production fall off. If we give him a boat load of money and he produces around a 70 point pace for example, then any young player we have that comes anywhere close to 70 points will be asking for the same payday

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well, if we can ship CC + Gally (worst contract on our books) for PLD + 1st 23 (very possible to be a lottery pick)

Habs would be crazy not to accept it.

PLD slots in on the wing with Suzuki. We get wayyy bigger, and have a kings ransom of Cs to choose from for the next decade: Suzuki-PLD-Dach-Dvorak-Evans (all of which can play wing if needed)
That deal is insane. No way Cole should be traded at all. He’s an elite talent. I’d rather just live with Gallagher and hope PLD signs in two seasons. This trade is a massive step back.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
This dogmatic obsession with a rebuild that the team never agreed was even a thing is getting out of hand. There is more to building a team than being shit for years and only drafting. You need to adjust for things that come along. If you have a chance to get a guy like Huberdeau for free it would be beyond stupid to pass that up.

So far, the HuGo regime has only made rebuild moves.

However it is entirely possible they go for patchwork approach still. Mediocre team is the easiest thing to build. Bergevin could do it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd be reluctant to give a 2023 1st in a deal for PLD. I wouldn't be fully against it, but I'd rather offer the 2024 1st round pick.
Depending on what else the Habs would be required to send, I'd have no issues sending our 2023 1st round pick for Dubois.

As long as that's the best part of the return for the Jets.

The Habs have 2 1st round picks...and the ability to add more as well.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Better question is when is his arbitration hearing
It is too late for Winnipeg to choose arbitration. The QO was 1 year at $6.5M. If PLD chooses arbitration, Winnipeg can decide if the award will be for one year or two. I assume they will pick two years, so there could not be a deal with Montreal until July 2023. Even if there is a one-year award, or PLD accepts the QO, PLD can't be extended before January 1, which will also hold up any trade. The deadline for Dubois to decide whether he accepts the offer or goes to arbitration is today. If he does neither, a trade of his rights is still possible, and if PLD chooses arbitration, only a sign and trade (on terms acceptable to Montreal) prior to the hearing date could get him to Montreal this coming year, assuming Montreal will not trade for him without being able to extend.

If an arbitrator gives Dubois Josh Norris money $8M, does Winnipeg pay or walk away?

If they pay, do Habs still want that trade or will they want retention? Or will the one year salary be accepted and a LT contract negotiated at an acceptable value or no-go?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
In Florida Huberdeau is surrounded by top tier talent as well, if he comes here we'll see a significant production fall off. If we give him a boat load of money and he produces around a 70 point pace for example, then any young player we have that comes anywhere close to 70 points will be asking for the same payday
If Huberdeau only puts up 70 points in 2 years playing with Suzuki and Caufield then better bank on another rebuild forever and ever because those guys are not good enough, clearly.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
We’re in contract hold out territory for a guy that’s shown he’s willing to take a bullet to get a move done. He’s got an agent willing to work the media and he’s made it very clear in two different contract disputes that he wants to be in Montreal. WPG is dreaming if they think they’re going to get multiple A-level assets for Dubois from the Habs or any other team.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean...not sure what's shocking about that.

If the Habs want Dubois, they're going to have to include one of their 2023 1st round picks.

It goes without saying that you build protection around that 1st round pick.

Doesn't seem like breaking news...but I guess we here now.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to ask for Dach, assuming we're re-signing Dubois long term.

It should, however, substantially reduce the quality and amount of other future pieces to be included in this deal. So, no Barron, for example.

I would make this trade if Dach is the main piece.
If Dach is included he better be the ONLY piece.

If the Habs want Dubois, they're going to have to include one of their 2023 1st round picks.

Because Hughes isn't a moron. Only an idiot like Fletcher would even consider that. The Habs are tanking to get a good player in the 2023 draft who will vey likely be better thn Dubois. Why the hell would they give that to Winnipeg.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Probably but there is a big difference, value wise, between the Habs pick and Florida’s. I can see them including Florida’s pick in a trade but not their own.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Feasible...just next year we're clearing almost 19m off the cap. We could literally sign Caufield to 7mx8 depending on the year he has and get Hub for 9m and we're still under this current cap year.

Also, cap is bound to go up soonish....

If he really has any interest in signing as a UFA you just do it and figure the cap gymnastics after...
I would obviously be thrilled to have him. But God, our cap situation is so bad lol

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Because Hughes isn't a moron. Only an idiot like Fletcher would even consider that. The Habs are tanking to get a good player in the 2023 draft who will vey likely be better thn Dubois. Why the hell would they give that to Winnipeg.
I suspect you will be disappointed if you're expecting another top 5 pick in 2023.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why move Dach when we hold all the cards? They get Dvorak + and that's us being generous given the way this is unfolding with Dubois telling them he doesn't want to be there. Other teams are not going to offer more than what we are for a guy that says he intends to join the Habs as a UFA in two years anyway.

Bergevin would have creamed himself and given whatever was asked, but not Hughes - Hughes is smart and patient. I think this gets done and on Habs terms.

We don't hold all the cards......that's a false assumption.

Dubois also never said the Habs was the ONLY team he would like to play with........and as we just saw with Gaudreau, we shouldn't make those assumptions on where he wants to play, NJ and NYI thought they had a huge advantage.

As a rental, knowing full well he was going UFA, Claude Giroux cost a 1st round pick + Owen Tippett + 3rd round pick. Jets can sign Dubois for 2 years, wait until this year or next year TDL and get a similar return for him if not more.

Sure as hell if Dubois ends up in Tampa or NYR, he won't wait to go UFA just to come in Montreal.....

So Montreal doesn't hold all the cards at all....it would only be the case if Dubois was under contract with a full NMC, then Montreal would be the only option for a trade. This is not the case.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We’re in contract hold out territory for a guy that’s shown he’s willing to take a bullet to get a move done. He’s got an agent willing to work the media and he’s made it very clear in two different contract disputes that he wants to be in Montreal. WPG is dreaming if they think they’re going to get multiple A-level assets for Dubois from the Habs or any other team.
I only have two questions:

Why did Dubois not keep it between himself, his agent and the Jets’ GM? What does it say about a player who openly campaigns to be with another team while his rights are still owned by said team?

There is no doubt that it was Dubois who leaked his desire to play for another team. That is not a good look.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Well, if we can ship CC + Gally (worst contract on our books) for PLD + 1st 23 (very possible to be a lottery pick)

Habs would be crazy not to accept it.

PLD slots in on the wing with Suzuki. We get wayyy bigger, and have a kings ransom of Cs to choose from for the next decade: Suzuki-PLD-Dach-Dvorak-Evans (all of which can play wing if needed)
That's an awful deal for the Habs to get rid of Gallagher's contract. I wouldn't trade Montreal's unprotected 1st alone for PLD. You are basically trading Caulfield to get rid of Gallagher's contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Probably but there is a big difference, value wise, between the Habs pick and Florida’s. I can see them including Florida’s pick in a trade but not their own.
Well I don't think I was suggesting the Habs send their own unprotected 1st round pick.

As I said, it goes without saying that you build some kind of protection around that 1st.

You can make it conditional like the Dvorak trade...(I.e. Jets get the "worst" of one of our 1st round picks).

But obviously, if the Habs want Dubois...a 1st round pick is going the other way. I didn't think that was a controversial statement lol.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Again...if the Habs want Dubois.

They're going to have to have a 2023 1st round pick going back the other way.

Do you think they're going to get Dubois for Drouin and a 2023 3rd round pick?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I think he misunderstood you and thought you meant to add more 1st round picks to the deal, whereas you meant we might add more 1st rounders to our stock by moving assets at the TDL.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I only have two questions:

Why did Dubois not keep it between himself, his agent and the Jets’ GM? What does it say about a player who openly campaigns to be with another team while his rights are still owned by said team?

There is no doubt that it was Dubois who leaked his desire to play for another team. That is not a good look.
Hard to comment on what happens behind the scenes. I feel like he’s made it very clear to two teams that he wants to be in MTL. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s been a trade request in WPG since he was moved there.

Personally, it doesn’t really bother me. We don’t know the whole story as to why he wants to be in MTL. All we know is that he wants to be here, he’s willing to risk his reputation to do it, and we can be fairly confident he’ll sign a long term contract here. If his love for the CH is enough to go through two major contract disputes and get dragged in the media just to play here, that’s a lot more than can be said for many of our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad