HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Jets are in a tough place with Dubois. His camp has made it clear that he wants to play in Montreal, and isn't interested in signing long term in Winnipeg.

This achieves two things;

1) Turns other teams off of acquiring Dubois. Why would a team trade a premium package for a player when it's clear he has an other destination in mind? This lowers the demand for Dubois.

2) Habs have the luxury of waiting up to 2 years to acquire Dubois via trade. After that 2 years they can simply sign him as a UFA. The longer this drags out, the lower his trade value will be as the Habs will be more inclined to just wait it out. As time goes by, the pressure on the Jets to move him increases, weakening the Jets negotiation position.

It's in the Jets best interest to trade Dubois as soon as possible, both the Jets and the Habs know this. The return for Dubois will be lower than many expect because of this situation.

They can forget about getting a cornerstone player like Suzuki or Caufield in return. Not happening. It will likely be a package including a roster player(Anderson/Dvorak), Florida's 1st, and an okay prospect or 2nd/3rd round pick.

Star players just don't get the jackpot returns anymore. We see this time and time again. The returns are almost always underwhelming.

Also by having gotten Dach, we're like f*** you, we're set at center, we're fine. If they want to trade Dubois to us, they'll have to freaking beg.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

BurningEyes.gif

boxofshame.gif

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yeah agree on that. If Dach reach his full potential, Dvorak can go. Habs have solid prospects C with Owen Beck, Riley Kidney and Oliver Kapanen (underrated).

Dach can make this C depth better if he reach his full potential... very talented young player.
+ Mysak who is a pretty good bet to become a potent 3/4C. in 2 years.
Then yeah Beck, more in 3-4 years.
Kidney is a winger in the NHL
Kapanen is also a winger in the NHL.

Getting a 4C free agent or small trade is trivial anyway.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You’re acting like PLD is 28-29. He’s not, he’s a proven young asset down the middle. The fact that we’re just like “nah” makes no sense to me whatsoever. He has plenty of room to hit his prime and gore with the core
It's more like NON. Some people here bitterly don't want "entitled Québecois". I'm not making this up, it was actually posted here.

I suppose they'd be ok with entitled Swedes, lol.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Today at 5PM ET is the deadline for players with the right to file for arbitration.

No word yet on if PLD will or won't file for one. But we can get an answer by 5PM.
Can you trade a player who is en route for Arbitration ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Honestly, that I don't know.

I know you can sign a contract before then. You can even sign a contract after you met with the arbitrator but before they give their ruling. Because once they give their ruling, that is the deal that the team and player must sign to, unless the team opts not to accept it. In which time the player becomes a UFA.

I imagine you can trade them, too. But I can't say with 100% certainty if you can.

Because if he's on his way to arbitration and is traded, does the new team have to go to arbitration with that player if they don't come to terms on an extension?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So question for you guys.

Would you rather trade assets for Dubois right now, or wait till the end of the season to sign Huberdeau as a UFA. This is all hypothetical obviously, and yes I realize that Dubois is currently 24 and Huberdeau 29 and that there's no certainty that Huberdeau would sign here, but he has said in the past that he'd love to play for MTL. Some of you guys see Dubois as a centre, others as a winger.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Would you rather trade assets for Dubois right now, or wait till the end of the season to sign Huberdeau as a UFA. This is all hypothetical obviously, and yes I realize that Dubois is currently 24 and Huberdeau 29 and that there's no certainty that Huberdeau would sign here, but he has said in the past that he'd love to play for MTL. Some of you guys see Dubois as a centre, others as a winger.
Huberdeau is coming next year as a ufa? Keep the assets and wait guys.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
On the main board, someone posted Barzal in the case the Islanders can't resign Barzal. Thought this deal seemed fairly reasonable.

To Canadiens
* Pierre-Luc Dubois

To Jets
* Christian Dvorak
* Matthew Barzal
* Luke Tuch
* 3rd Round Pick, 2024 (NYI)

To Islanders
* 1st Round Pick, 2023 (FLA)
* Josh Anderson
* Chaz Lucius

Personally, I don't really care about getting Dubois or not... but if he wants to play here, I guess that's a huge bonus especially if he'd sign a more team friendly deal than he would otherwise.

It's pretty expensive for MTL in this scenario, but it also gives us some cap relief which is important. And while Tuch is still a solid prospect, he's not a can't miss prospect so I don't mind including him considering how deep our prospect pool is.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
That would be our Panarin..... pipe dream but those are fun....
Fitting Huberdeau under the cap would be so god damn hard unless we want to cripple being able to sign our young players for years.

Price, Gallagher, and Anderson eat up over 27% of the salary cap for an extended period of time.

Harris and Caufield will also be up for extension next year.

It would just be very hard to make it work.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There is no restriction to trade a player who has filed for arbitration as far as I know. Most players who fill for it get traded in the next 2 years too.

Huberdeau is too old for the rebuild window, he's going to be mid-30s by the time the rest of the team is ready. He would take most of the cap space left too.

Reactions: sampollock

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Fitting Huberdeau under the cap would be so god damn hard unless we want to cripple being able to sign our young players for years.

Price, Gallagher, and Anderson eat up over 27% of the salary cap for an extended period of time.

Harris and Caufield will also be up for extension next year.

It would just be very hard to make it work.
Feasible...just next year we're clearing almost 19m off the cap. We could literally sign Caufield to 7mx8 depending on the year he has and get Hub for 9m and we're still under this current cap year.

Also, cap is bound to go up soonish....

If he really has any interest in signing as a UFA you just do it and figure the cap gymnastics after...

Reactions: Tuggy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No. Opting for arbitration also prevents a player from being offer sheetfed, I believe.

Once a ruling is made the team can choose to walk away making the player ufa,or like what the ducks did with Wizniewski, trade him to the Islanders.

Reactions: ReHabs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
On the main board, someone posted Barzal in the case the Islanders can't resign Barzal. Thought this deal seemed fairly reasonable.

To Canadiens
* Pierre-Luc Dubois

To Jets
* Christian Dvorak
* Matthew Barzal
* Luke Tuch
* 3rd Round Pick, 2024 (NYI)

To Islanders
* 1st Round Pick, 2023 (FLA)
* Josh Anderson
* Chaz Lucius

Personally, I don't really care about getting Dubois or not... but if he wants to play here, I guess that's a huge bonus especially if he'd sign a more team friendly deal than he would otherwise.

It's pretty expensive for MTL in this scenario, but it also gives us some cap relief which is important. And while Tuch is still a solid prospect, he's not a can't miss prospect so I don't mind including him considering how deep our prospect pool is.
Barzal alone is worth more than anyone of those players and picks. Habs completely hosed in this trade proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad