HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Good point, Suzuki looked like shit under Ducharme. He really stepped it up once St-Louis came over.

After Cauli-field, I believe Suzuki benefited of fhe coaching change the most.

Even Dvo picked it up after MSL. Dvo was on pace for 48 pts in that shit season.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A late 1st, some prospect and cap dump… pretty that that doesn’t get it done…
Also PLD QA offer was more than 6.5M$ so pretty sure he isn’t signing for less than 7M$.

If he really wants to walk to UFA just accept the QO each summer, or file for salary arbitration, so he guarantees himself a contract. Does anyone know if he filed for arbitration?

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Jets are in a tight spot with PLD openly telling them he’s not re-signing and campaigning behind the scenes to come to Montreal (from multiple accounts). I think by moving him now, that’s when they’ll get the most value, and I think a good old fashioned 3 way is the best way for all teams involved to get what they want, so I would propose the Jets, Habs and Stars make a deal, with the Jets acting as brokers:

To Winnipeg: Jeff Petry (Montreal retains 15%, Winnipeg then moves him to Dallas while retaining an additional 25%), Christian Dvorak, Logan Mailloux, Riley Kidney, Habs 2024 3rd round pick, Ty Dellandrea, Dallas 2nd round pick 2024.

To Montreal: Pierre Luc Dubois

To Dallas: Jeff Petry (15% retained by Montreal, 25% retained by Winnipeg).

Winnipeg gets a decent haul of an affordable center that can play right away, high end prospects and picks, the Habs get a big center/winger that fits with their new core while clearing cap space, and the Stars get a guy who’s produced like a top pairing defenseman while only paying 60 percent of his deal.

Habs then sign Dubois for 7.5 x 8 years

Lineup looks like:

Slavkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Dadonov - Dubois - Anderson
Hoffman - Dach - Gallagher
Poehling - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

Edmundson - Barron
Harris - Savard
Guhle - Wideman

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He didn't give up anything. Isn't he a UFA after this season. There is no guarantee he stays with Montreal and no way he would re sign with Winnipeg.

He gave up free agency when we signed him to his rookie contract. We were on the verge of losing his rights.

When Harris went back for his 4th year a lot of people on this board wanted him traded because they didn't believe he'd sign and would choose the UFA route. Hughes convinced him to sign an ELC with us.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Thinking about it, I think you could put serious money on the fact that Dubois has essentially been looking at forcing his way to Montreal ever since he got drafted. He knows Montreal has wanted him since 2016 and he's essentially asked for a trade every time his contract was up. Each time there was heavy smoke he wanted to come here. It really seems like he's got a one-track mind to Montreal and Montreal's interest has always been there, whether it's Bergevin or Hughes.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
At most I’d offer Dvo, maybe 2 2nd and a B level prospect. Jets say no, then fine, wait 2 yrs and make your pitch when he is a FA. By then the Habs will have accumulated more prospects and gotten a lot better.

No way should the Habs overpay for PLD.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yea, ideally we'd get him for free. But if Hugo does decide to trade for him I'm just hoping they don't include any core pieces of our rebuild (Suzuki/Salf/Caufield/Ghule).

I think two years is way too long to tell him to hold tight, especially if the interest is mutual. My bet is he gets traded here before the season starts and it's all about both teams trying to maximize whatever they can. Might actually take a while. Money needs to move and it seems like Dubois and Montreal have been playing footsie for years.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If the Jets want Suzuki, what are the giving us on top of PLD? Because Suzuki is on an upward development curve while PLD has stagnated and both are 60 pts centers at this point in their career. Except Suzuki didn't need a ~90 pts winger to reach that. He's also better at faceoffs too.

In other words, Suzuki has more value than PLD right now.
Yeah , and Suzuki would be stuck in Winnipeg for 8 years. Perfect for the Jets. For Habs? No chance. None.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I think two years is way too long to tell him to hold tight, especially if the interest is mutual. My bet is he gets traded here before the season starts and it's all about both teams trying to maximize whatever they can.

I don’t see that as a problem. Trade the vets (Andy etc) for picks, acquire more good prospects, and free up cap space.

They will be a lot better team then. They can then jump into the UFA mix or do what Ottawa did (Debrincat) or what the Canes did. So many options open up at that point. They should not be overpaying for PLD.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don’t see that as a problem. Trade the vets (Andy etc) for picks, acquire more good prospects, and free up cap space.

They will be a lot better team then. They can then jump into the UFA mix or do what Ottawa did (Debrincat) or what the Canes did.

With or without Dubois, I think the Habs finish in the basement of the Atlantic deathmatch, but it's hard to argue against the logic of acquiring him. He still has a ton of years ahead of him and at his floor, you're getting a first-rate second-line center who's taken out a playoff team almost on his own in the playoffs. Realistically, what is Montreal expecting to get with a pick that would be say, top-5 protected?

Reactions: Archijerej

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
With or without Dubois, I think the Habs finish in the basement of the Atlantic deathmatch, but it's hard to argue against the logic of acquiring him. He still has a ton of years ahead of him and at his floor, you're getting a first-rate second-line center who's taken out a playoff team almost on his own in the playoffs.

I wouldn’t give up a 1st round pick nor would I include anyone prospect named Guhle, Slaf, Mesar, Farrell, Harris, Hutson, Barron or Roy.

One of Dvo or Andy, two 2nds, and a B level prospect otherwise I wait until he becomes a UFA and keep on with the rebuild.

I bet Hugo could get a first and a prospect for Andy. At the deadline this year he needs to ship out Drouin, Allen etc for picks.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I wouldn’t give up a 1st round pick nor would I include anyone prospect named Guhle, Slaf, Mesar, Farrell, Harris, Hutson, Barron or Roy.

Dvo or Andy, two 2nds, and a B level prospect otherwise I wait until he becomes a UFA.

I get your point (especially considering where the team is at right now) but an offer that weak shouldn't be considered by Winnipeg and you have to consider what it might do to your relationship with Dubois. How aggressive Montreal should be all depends on how much Montreal wants the player, which appears to be a lot. I'm not that thirsty for him but it looks like both Bergevin and Hughes loved/love him. It's a tight rope where essentially all parties have major advantages and concerns.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
This board loves to run with narratives and stat watch, PLD is a very high upside player, not really sure where the dissing and awful comparisons are coming from. He’s a very good 2C with tons of time and tools to be a 1C.

Winnipeg is a rough spot, I think his basic stat line reflect that a lot. This is a team that can’t even get Ehlers into the elite category. The Maurice era Jets were very bad at utilizing the talent at their disposal, and even worse at surrounding it. Most Jets fans would agree with this, it’s a big reason why they went from a team primed to be a perennial cup threat in 2018, to a lottery team in 2022. Before that he had to deal with John Tortorella.

My point here is not to make excuses for him, but to state that we’re in a spot where we can give Dubois what he needs to succeed. He ambitious to be here, there’s a core in place that he can grow with, we have two of the highest upside developmental staff in the league with St. Louis and Nicholas. Considering his upside, you take that chance, no matter what roster construction stage you’re in, no matter how good you think the draft could be in 12 months.

Hughes is in a VERY good spot here, if his cards are played right we’ll have a chance to pickup a potential 1C at a discount.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I’d say it’s a 5-1 asset trade
Dvorak
Middle 6 Fwd dump (Armia or Hoffman)
Mysak level prospect
FLA 1st 23
And another piece like Norlinder/Fairbrother level close to NHL ready prospect

For

Dubois

Jets get two forwards and also can say they got good futures to allow subsequent moves if they please

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I get your point (especially considering where the team is at right now) but an offer that weak shouldn't be considered by Winnipeg and you have to consider what it might do to your relationship with Dubois. How aggressive Montreal should be all depends on how much Montreal wants the player, which appears to be a lot. I'm not that thirsty for him but it looks like both Bergevin and Hughes loved/love him. It's a tight rope where essentially all parties major advantages and concerns.

I see your point and if Hugo are high on him they will do it. My thoughts is they should ship vets out for picks/prospects and continue to stock the shelf with grade A assets.

The kids will develop and the team will get a lot better. When they do they will have cap space, and assets to go do what Ottawa and Carolina did.

Anyway, it’s up to Hugo, so far I’m really impressed with what’s been done so I’ll roll with whatever they do.

I finally feel like this org is on the right track and I can see the day they will become a serious contender.

It’s weird, they finished dead last, will finish close to there again but I have high hopes for the future. What a regime change can do, it’s so refreshing.

Reactions: SlafySZN

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
With or without Dubois, I think the Habs finish in the basement of the Atlantic deathmatch, but it's hard to argue against the logic of acquiring him. He still has a ton of years ahead of him and at his floor, you're getting a first-rate second-line center who's taken out a playoff team almost on his own in the playoffs. Realistically, what is Montreal expecting to get with a pick that would be say, top-5 protected?
A first line centre?

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I would also believe that Petry will get moved to Nashville for Fabro and a 2nd… not a dump on the Preds part, but an expensive guy who’s still finding his footing. Hard to pass up an upgrade to Petry for a team built to compete now

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
No?

I said a first-rate second line center. I.e, an excellent second pivot.
Based on this years draft and a pick between 6-10 I’d still be expecting a 1st line centre
Dubois has 5 years in the league no - I think he’s pretty much reached his peak now which is a good second line centre.
Again if he could potentially be acquired for free in 2 years why waste the assets to acquire him now?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Based on this years draft and a pick between 6-10 I’d still be expecting a 1st line centre
Dubois has 5 years in the league no - I think he’s pretty much reached his peak now which is a good second line centre.
Again if he could potentially be acquired for free in 2 years why waste the assets to acquire him now?

Because a ton can change in two years and you have to think about your relationship with the player (i.e., does he sour on you if you tell him to wait two years and essentially tell him he's not worth the assets?). It all depends on how much you like him. And it seems like the Canadiens do. A lot. This all gets into discussions where no one could have any real insight but essentially, how do you go about approaching a guy who appears to have been doing everything he can to join your team for the past 6 years? I don't even know if there's a comparable.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
• His cap hit could be a lot bigger, riskier NTC/NMC will have to be given. If he still wants a max term deal, you’ll have a larger cap hit when he’s older and in the midst/beginning of a possible decline.
• A lot can happen in two years. He has more options and leverage as a UFA.
• He’s 24, still primed for development. If you see him as a 1C and a target in two years, why would you let someone else control his fate.
• You add him to your core now, he can grow with it. Dubois can make everyone around him a better player unlike Dach/Evans/Dvorak.

All of these risks just to hang onto a huge question mark draft pick that you won’t even see for 3 more seasons, and someone who likely won’t hit Dubois’ level for even longer. The other assets like roster players and B prospects are incomparable to a 24 year old 2C. You wouldn’t even remember you had them.

(I’m talking the Florida pick here as I assume it’d be the main chip, I don’t see a world where our pick is EVER on the table)

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad