HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The trade would make sense if we can extend him and keep him around at a cap hit we like. My problem with him is:

- Lack of intensity (seems to be getting more consistent)
- Faceoffs - can he learn to win the big draws? This is so important if we want him at C moving forward.

Lack of intensity is related to him wanting out of Columbus and now in Winnipeg. Jets offered Laine with the intentions they can convince him to sign long term. If failed. People say he quit on two teams... well yeah, he wants to play for the Habs and that was likely the case when he asked out of Columbus. Look at his uninspired play for the rest of the season after the trade. Then was better against the Oilers. Then not so much against the Habs.

Faceoffs are not a strength yes. He's not horrible but not great either. Dvorak is better in that area and people have the nerve to call Dvorak a negative contract where his point totals are 7 less points and 3 less goals over the last two seasons compared to Dubois. Dubois is still worth more when you sum everything up IMO but Dvorak+ futures is a good offer.

This is buy low opportunity for a player that clearly wants to play for the Habs. We can use him at center for now and possibly on wing later if we find another center. Look at his numbers at the WC's. It's a situational thing and it's kind of like how Anderson is different when we plays with Suzuki and Caufield vs 3rd line players. You see different versions.

Dubois for the playoffs? That's the real value. He brings it and he's effective. I don't say no to players like this in their prime. Not because we have a low % at Bedard.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Leclerc, the reporter who broke the story about the Habs pursuing Dubois, added a couple more details on a RadCan podcast:

"In the week of the draft, I know it was a tough negotiation. I was told that the Canadiens offered a consideration of three players to get their hands on Pierre-Luc Dubois. I don't know who the players are, but they want to liquidate salaries."

“Dubois attended the draft. The belief was that his trade would be announced during the draft. When it was announced that the Habs had traded for the 13th OA pick, there were people within Dubois’ entourage who thought that was the missing key piece for the Habs to acquire Dubois. It was believed that the Habs were close to their objective.”

Clearly, one of Leclerc’s sources is within Dubois’ entourage.

Leclerc adds that talks have resumed this week. There may have been a correlation with Hughes postponing his presser.

Yikes yikes yikes. Ready to lose all hope.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
I'm not sure I understand the big rush to trade Petry at a negative value. Just tell him that the best way out of Montreal is to show up on the ice.

If he puts out any decent numbers, any contenders with injuries at the D will probably come knocking at the trade deadline. Or maybe even before if his numbers look good at the start of the season. His value can only go up.

Montreal is fine with cap space. There are several players that are questionable for the start of the season (Byron, Drouin, Price). If any of them misses a month or so, everything is dandy!

A big mistake would be to trade him now with 30% retain, and regret it for the next 3 years.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I can’t imagine Winnipeg is easy to negotiate with but on the other hand literally zero players want to play in or for Winnipeg so they better accept that they’re gonna need to trade for NHLers

Anderson+ for Dubois is certainly the core of it

The plus is not Petry. It can be Dadonov but I think it would be maybe something else. Hmm 🤔

Look at it from Winnipeg’s POV: they want players who have good attitude and long term. Anderson fits, who else?

Habs need to dump at least 9m in this trade.
Anderson and Dvorak and Ylönen

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why would a lack of a Petry trade with another team hold this up if it's already 3 players for 1? Surely PLD doesn't make more than these 3 combined. Would it have also included whatever we get back from the Petry deal?

Maybe. I doubt it has anything to do with that though. Its pretty clear that Hughes is trying to trade Petry because Petry asked for a trade. He's not going to move him just to clear his cap, because even from a rebuilding perspective, a D-core of Edmundson, Savard, Wideman, Schueneman, Bowey + Rookies is a terrible idea. He'd need another vet to plug in there.

Reactions: Archijerej

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I can’t imagine Winnipeg is easy to negotiate with but on the other hand literally zero players want to play in or for Winnipeg so they better accept that they’re gonna need to trade for NHLers

The plus is not Petry. It can be Dadonov but I think it would be maybe something else. Hmm 🤔

Look at it from Winnipeg’s POV: they want players who have good attitude and long term. Anderson fits, who else?

Edit: Poehling is thrown in there too.

Dubois for Anderson, Poehling, and a capdump [Armia, Hoffman, Drouin, Byron]?

Xx - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dach - Dadonov
Xx - Dvorak - Gallagher
[spares]

?
I do that trade in a heart beat which means the Jets would probably hang up real quick. If we can get Dubois without giving a first and a top prospect, I’m all for it but don’t think it’s realistic.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That's really interesting. Makes me wonder if perhaps Dach ended up being the back-up plan because the Dubois deal didn't work out?
If we are going to trade for Dubois, Dach is almost certainly going the other way. So, in that sense, he's simultaneously a backup plan and a facilitator.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Edit: Poehling is thrown in there too.

Dubois for Anderson, Poehling, and a capdump [Armia, Hoffman, Drouin, Byron]?

Xx - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dach - Dadonov
Xx - Dvorak - Gallagher
[spares]

?

Nope. Keep Anderson. They prefer D and C anyways. We don't need to up our offers and if the Jets don't budge, let them drown with Dubois.

Hate to trade Dach but Dach and Dvorak after Dach is signed is around $7M which is what I would give Dubois. Rather the Dvorak, Panthers 1st, and Kidney offer though, but you're not wrong with the cap space issue

The goal here is to have players like Anderson and Dubois for the playoffs once the youth matures.

If we are going to trade for Dubois, Dach is almost certainly going the other way. So, in that sense, he's simultaneously a backup plan and a facilitator.

I hate to trade Dach but I agree. Lets asks ourselves this question... What are the changes Dach is as good as Dubois?

Dvorak and Dach. If they want a prospect, offer Fairbrother or Norlinder (grade B type max). If they still say no, hang up the phone. They'll call back

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
That's really interesting. Makes me wonder if perhaps Dach ended up being the back-up plan because the Dubois deal didn't work out?
Hughes is starting to reveal that he is the man.

This was his flex to Peg. He said oh ya? I got a Plan B I don't need you. You need me, you are the one with the player that wants out. Call me when you are done bluffing and want to negotiate in reality.

Dach as plan B means a guy like Dvorak can buh bye lah. Dubois comes in and helps on second line with Dach. Kinda in a similar way that Thornton and Pavelski had a hybrid center role on a line in SJ.

Habs are in good hands with this management team

Reactions: OneCupTwoFour

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do that trade in a heart beat which means the Jets would probably hang up real quick. If we can get Dubois without giving a first and a top prospect, I’m all for it but don’t think it’s realistic.

You're not thinking about leverage. You're thinking this is just some trade where you have to give full value. Think Trouba return. 20th and Pionk. Seems low eh? But that's the narrative cause the Jets don't have leverage.

Who's going to be the team to trade for his 2 RFA rights if it's not the Habs? Try to convince him to sign long term? How did that work out for the Jets? Dubois wants to play for the Habs (Fact) and no other GM is going to offer top value knowing he might be uninspired on their team as well.

They can ask for the Panthers 1st and Guhle all day long. Not happening

Reactions: Doc5

ohiohabsfan29

Mar 16, 2022
Hughes is starting to reveal that he is the man.

This was his flex to Peg. He said oh ya? I got a Plan B I don't need you. You need me, you are the one with the player that wants out. Call me when you are done bluffing and want to negotiate in reality.

Dach as plan B means a guy like Dvorak can buh bye lah. Dubois comes in and helps on second line with Dach. Kinda in a similar way that Thornton and Pavelski had a hybrid center role on a line in SJ.

Habs are in good hands with this management team

Not sure that trading for someone dramatically worse in Dach constitutes a flex.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
They would need a Dubois replacement and then forward depth.

At this point, we just need to increase the top 6 talent... we have tons of forward depth. I would give up our best signed assets to land another legitimate, young top 6 player who fits the HuGo mold.

Dvo + Anderson + another piece. They have the cap space to take that on, and both those players can compliment their current core quite well. For us, it allows us to sign Dubois long term and maintain a cap cushion in case we can't move anyone else.

Would you guys do this?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Another angle. Dvorak, Mailloux, Kidney and a cap contract to equal $7M in and $7M out. Laugh at it all you want, it's a leverage offer.

Who would move Mailloux and who would not? RD is thin
I would and it's pretty certain one of Barron/Mailloux would have to be included, especially if the center the Jets are asking for is Dvorak.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would and it's pretty certain one of Barron/Mailloux would have to be included, especially if the center the Jets are asking for is Dvorak.

Not sure if they are after D or C. I think they need both. Dvorak is going the other way if the trade happens. I'm sure of it.

Would you be OK with trading Mailloux in the package? I'm not sure

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
You're 1st rounders need to be quantified. And no, I'm not trading two 1st rounders. Panthers 1st and Kidney yeah.

I rather not trade futures but Dubois is not some 30+ asset and the Panthers 1st and Kidney are not likely to be as good as Dubois.

I value a younger Dubois with $2M in cap savings.
We paid a first and a second for Dvorak so we're not counting him as a first?
Dach was just obtained for 13th overall so him/Panthers first would also count as one?
That makes 2 firsts according to my math.....

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Not sure that trading for someone dramatically worse in Dach constitutes a flex.
Dach is coming up. I like it, buys us time. We have zero intentions of making the playoffs this season and Dubois is RFA.

So he wants to go to UFA which is 2 years. We have 2 years of patience to see who Dach can be. Boy is a 3rd overall with hype not long ago. Funny how fast we turn on the young players in this generation. His stumbles and falls in Chicago don't define his future.

He has the tools, and now a place to restart and thrive. I'm high on Dach. He wants to be in Montreal now. He is ecstatic. Dubois doesn't want to be in Peg. That is not good for the future or the lockeroom.

They must of been playing hardball.

My guess, Take it or leave it, Dvorak, Byron (Cap), Mesar, 2nd 2024

The whole Dubois trade likely is hinging on Montreal moving out Petry too. There is no money on the books right now to acquire Dubois.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
You're not thinking about leverage. You're thinking this is just some trade where you have to give full value. Think Trouba return. 20th and Pionk. Seems low eh? But that's the narrative cause the Jets don't have leverage.

Who's going to be the team to trade for his 2 RFA rights if it's not the Habs? Try to convince him to sign long term? How did that work out for the Jets? Dubois wants to play for the Habs (Fact) and no other GM is going to offer top value knowing he might be uninspired on their team as well.

They can ask for the Panthers 1st and Guhle all day long. Not happening

It sounds nice and all but I don’t expect to get PLD for a dime on the dollar. If we do, then I’ll definitely come back and give you the shoutout.

Tough one, Barron is the better defenseman now but Mailloux is like our Slaf on Defense. He’s a physical specimen with great skating that has the potential to be a 1D. Having said that, I still think Barron has barely scratched his surface. Tough one.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I love the idea of getting Dubois without blowing up the core.

Dvorak, Byron/Drouin(cap), Florida’s 1st, any prospect not named Guhle/Slafkovsky/Farrell/Roy.

Reactions: blarneylad

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some are saying that Dach was indeed the back-up plan.

The contention was the the Habs tried very hard to land a top 7 pick (Ottawa’s was the most likely), which would have then become the key piece in a Dubois deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad