HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
100%, he would be a core piece to our young forward group and will be integral to our future success.

Plus, there is a ton of unknowns about the future. What if he gets a huge injury in the next two years? Breakouts into a PPG player and chases a huge payday.

It's a much much safer option to trade for him now and lock him up long term.
Like Drouin?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Barron will be at least second pairing (3/4) for sure.

Thats why I wouldnt trade any 1st round picks, this team needs to keep filling the cupboard. In a few years when they develop and the team has cap space they will reap the rewards. These guy will eventually play and/or they can move some of them to fill needs. They are only a couple of years from being such a spot.

Hope Hugo is patient and stays the course. Do this right and this team will be good for a long time.
I think Hugo is in it for the long game.
No way they divert off course.
Finally a professionally run organization

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You can get PLD and still tank if it’s your desire. Trade Allen and give lots of games to montembeault/Primeau. Trade Pretry. Bingo, your back end sucks even more, Dubois instead of Dvo doesn’t tip the scale.

Having a 27-28 y/o prime PLD as 1B center when we enter contention in 3-4 years would be a difference maker. Good possession player, reasonable production last year despite career low S%. He’s underrated.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I think Hugo is in it for the long game.
No way they divert off course.
Finally a professionally run organization

Yep, and if does so, we the fans will get to watch a very good team for a long time.

I think he will avoid the temptations to rush this along. I know there is a segment of the media and the fanbase that want to sign this guy, that guy which would be a big mistake.

I finally feel we are on the right track and can a better future.

Hugo has accomplished a lot in a very short time.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yep, and if does so, we the fans will get to watch a very good team for a long time.

I think he will avoid the temptations to rush this along. I know there is a segment of the media and the fanbase that want to sign this guy, that guy which would be a big mistake.

I finally feel we are on the right track and can a better future.

Hugo has accomplished a lot in a very short time.
Absolutely and the one thing he has shown me and it's very important....Competence

I trust him

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe this gets done one way or the other and it gets done this summer.

There is a lot of smoke, the parties were close at the draft and talks resumed this week for a reason.

I believe Dubois’ camp are trying to force the Jets’ hand however, I was never a fan of players who openly discuss plans or hopes of playing for another team. It is clear in this instance that it’s not the Jets who leaked Dubois’ preference for Montreal but Dubois himself:

"Here is what I believe to be true about Dubois. I believe he quite sincerely does hope to test the UFA market in 2024. I believe he would like to play in Montreal in the long run and has not been shy about expressing that within team circles. I don’t think telling the Jets about his UFA plans is posturing in the slightest; I think it is the truth."

Quote comes from an Athletic article by Murat Ates from June 24th that was already mentioned here and that’s behind a paywall: Ates: Jets' uncertainty about core's future won't be solved by new coach

Couldn’t Dubois just have chosen to keep it between himself, his agent and the Jets? I think the Jets lose some leverage here — how could they want someone in their dressing who is openly stating that he wants to play for another team?

I’m not saying the Jets are going to give him away but they may just have to trade him before the start of the season, whether it’s to the Habs or someone else.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

There is a lot of smoke, the parties were close at the draft and talks resumed this week for a reason.

I believe Dubois’ camp are trying to force the Jets’ hand however, I was never a fan of players who openly discuss plans or hopes of playing for another team. It is clear in this instance that it’s not the Jets who leaked Dubois’ preference for Montreal but Dubois himself:

"Here is what I believe to be true about Dubois. I believe he quite sincerely does hope to test the UFA market in 2024. I believe he would like to play in Montreal in the long run and has not been shy about expressing that within team circles. I don’t think telling the Jets about his UFA plans is posturing in the slightest; I think it is the truth."

Quote comes from an Athletic article by Murat Ates from June 24th that was already mentioned here and that’s behind a paywall: Ates: Jets' uncertainty about core's future won't be solved by new coach

Couldn’t Dubois just have chosen to keep it between himself, his agent and the Jets? I think the Jets lose some leverage here — how could they want someone in their dressing who is openly stating that he wants to play for another team?

I’m not saying the Jets are going to give him away but they may just have to trade him before the start of the season, whether it’s to the Habs or someone else.
hes smart he doesnt want the Habs to pay much for him we need to keep our best assets :)

Reactions: jrom and jaffy27

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
What if Dach or Mesar (or both) turn out to be top 2C? What if we draft Bedard in 2023? What do we do with a PLD that we don't need with a massive contract? What if he busts and we can no longer trade him away?

If he really wants to play in Montreal, I'd say we get him for free in two years, IF we need him then.

Getting him at a decent price now would be fine. Overpaying for him now does not make sense.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm fine with plan B.
I'd prefer to give Dach a look than do anything for PLD. I'm not a huge fan of PLD and locking him into a long term deal north 0f 7million is the type of decisions that led us to the current cap mess situation we are in. Overpaying for good, not great players. I pass on PLD, let him quit on another team, somewhere else.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd prefer to give Dach a look than do anything for PLD. I'm not a huge fan of PLD and locking him into a long term deal north 0f 7million is the type of decisions that led us to the current cap mess situation we are in. Overpaying for good, not great players. I pass on PLD, let him quit on another team, somewhere else.
Why not both?
Suzuki PLD and Dach gives them all the best shot at success. Slots everyone nicely and spreads out responsibility

Reactions: Hannibal

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What if Dach or Mesar (or both) turn out to be top 2C? What if we draft Bedard in 2023? What do we do with a PLD that we don't need with a massive contract? What if he busts and we can no longer trade him away?

If he really wants to play in Montreal, I'd say we get him for free in two years, IF we need him then.

Getting him at a decent price now would be fine. Overpaying for him now does not make sense.
Centers can be converted to wing, and it's irrational to plan on the Habs drafting Bedard.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It sounds nice and all but I don’t expect to get PLD for a dime on the dollar. If we do, then I’ll definitely come back and give you the shoutout.

Tough one, Barron is the better defenseman now but Mailloux is like our Slaf on Defense. He’s a physical specimen with great skating that has the potential to be a 1D. Having said that, I still think Barron has barely scratched his surface. Tough one.

I'm not expecting it but that's the leverage play. Otherwise, let them drown with Dubois until UFA. I don't deserve props if it happens. I'm just talking about the circumstance. Some fans think I know it will happen. Not really the case.

I think I probably say no to trading either or Barron or Mailloux. But then a part of me wonders... We would have said the same about Beaulieu and Tinordi when our D was thin back when. Not saying they turn into them but something to ponder. Very risky to trades guys that early though. Sergachev factor

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc5

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Another angle. Dvorak, Mailloux, Kidney and a cap contract to equal $7M in and $7M out. Laugh at it all you want, it's a leverage offer.

Who would move Mailloux and who would not? RD is thin
I think I would rather ship out FLA 2023 1st than trade any of our prospects - especially our RD ones.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You can get PLD and still tank if it’s your desire. Trade Allen and give lots of games to montembeault/Primeau. Trade Pretry. Bingo, your back end sucks even more, Dubois instead of Dvo doesn’t tip the scale.

Having a 27-28 y/o prime PLD as 1B center when we enter contention in 3-4 years would be a difference maker. Good possession player, reasonable production last year despite career low S%. He’s underrated.
He's overrated imo. We can do better than him, I'm out unless we can Fleece Winnipeg and since the deal didn't go down t the draft I believe that their asking price is more than I'm willing to give for a meh center, borderline winger.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Based on some articles I have read the Jets lockeroom is not a very good one. Laine wanted out because of the treatment he received from Wheeler and Shitfly.

Reactions: jrom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn’t. RD is thin as you said, and Mailloux has a massive ceiling and his value is as low as it’s going to be.

I'm leaning that way too. For as much as I like Dubois, I rather use pieces like Dach, Panthers 1st, and Kidney. Dvorak is in the package regardless.

Norlinder might be the better play but they won't value him that high.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I disagree with this thinking.

A good young player wants to be traded to the Habs. He has the physical profile, the age profile, and production/skills to instantly become a serious contributor.

You turn your nose down at that because you prefer to keep a first round pick or two? Why is that exactly — because we hit on our first round picks so often, or because we have too many productive, big hitter, local players?
Capped league…

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hes smart he doesnt want the Habs to pay much for him we need to keep our best assets :)
We’ll see how smart he really is. Assuming he gets here, if we follow his usual pattern, he’ll find something that bothers him by his second season on the team and will leak it to the Franco media. Maybe he can’t help himself. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad