HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
PLD - Dach - Anderson

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - PLD - Anderson
Armia - Dach - Gally

Pretty good lines. With some players off the books in the next 2 years, some spots could be replaced withbetter talent.
If we do get PLD, I'd expect him to center the 2ndd line and Dach move to the 3rd to continue to develop in more sheltered minutes. Also gives Habs 3 solid lines to roll and each center the best chance of success. I like you have reunited Anderson and PLD who had great chemistry in Columbus and Slaf with Suzi and Caufield. Build chemistry for years to come! Slight change for me though would be:

Slaf Suzuki Caufield
Anderson PLD Dadonov
Drouin/Hoffman Dach Gally

Reactions: GalHabsGal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dach could surpass Dubois's level but I don't think I'd bet on it at this point - regardless of whether he breaks out or not Dach will always be more of a playmaker while Dubois is more of a well-rounded power forward style.

I wouldn't make the trade right now - just don't want to give up assets equivalent to 2 1sts for a player that could potentially be had for free in a couple years, even if the contract signed at that point may cost a little more.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why not?

If he's determined to hit the market then no one can stop him. He'll take two 1-year arbitration deals and walk.
No player does that, put all his eggs in one basket two years in advance. Winnipeg gets more for him now than they will in two years, and suitors will offer PLD a long-term deal. If he turns all these down, he is leaving money on the table in the hope that in two years we need him and want to make a big offer.

Maybe in two years Dach has broken out and needs a big contract, Kidney is in the race for AHL rookie of the year, and Farrell just won the Hobie Baker.

The chances of any one player getting to UFA at his 7 year mark is pretty low. Just don't count on a specific player being available, and for the player, he just can't count on one team being aligned for him two years from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
There's an incentive for players to sign early if they can: safety.

That's why most good players never become UFA.
Right, but he's made it quite clear what his desire is: to hit UFA in 2024.

I'll always question the desire to be a Hab, as that's often a tactic for leverage, but getting to pick the best destination for you as a UFA is also a huge incentive to walk like Gaudreau just did.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Then you play Dubois on the wing and have the luxury of either having Slafkovsky and Dubois split across two lines, or using Dubois at C to run three top 6 C's on your top 3 lines in the playoffs if you need to. "What if we have too many good C's" is probably the single best problem to have in hockey.

What? He's an established 24 year old with 239P in 361 NHL games and three 20G+ seasons in his career already.
If you pay your 3rd C 9M+, you will have a serious problem with the salary cap and will have holes elsewhere.

That's the whole issue.

So yes, there are a lot of ifs, but in the whole picture, if he really wants to come to Montreal, let's get him for free in 2 years IF we need him at that point, with the salary he will be asking.

I just don't see the point of trying to grab him now. Not only will he costs a lot, but getting the cap space to accomodate him (dumping Petry or Drouin for example) will also cost a lot.

That being said, Brisson is certainly a very cunning GM, who never been afraid to leak stuff or say stuff in the interest of his clients. I would be cautious with this too!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
When's the last time a local player of PLD's caliber tried this hard to force his way to the Habs? Did it ever even happen? Feels surreal.

Watch out when Huberdeau becomes a UFA at the end of this season....

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Dont gorget Farrell, 1-2 more years in NCAA, and he can MAYBE jump to NHL, and become in 2-4 years a good 2C in NHL!
Farrell I would like to keep if I'm being honest. I feel very stingy about all our prospects lmao.

I'd be willing to give up some combination of Dvo/FLA 2023 1st/Poehling/Kidney.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
No player does that, put all his eggs in one basket two years in advance. Winnipeg gets more for him ow than they will in two years, and suitors will offer PLD a long-term deal. IOf he tturns all these down, he is leaving money on the table in the hope that in two years we need him and want to make a big offer.

I'm not saying he does it for us, but getting to see and pick between up to 32 offers is very attractive.

Whether for best financial offer, best family situation, best chance to win a cup, etc. Getting to UFA gives you the best chance to be the happiest and/or most successful for 7 prime years.

He's about to bail on his second team already, and has shown little loyalty. I don't doubt for a second that even if someone trades for him, he'll stick to his guns and walk in 2024.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If you pay your 3rd C 9M+, you will have a serious problem with the salary cap and will have holes elsewhere.

That's the whole issue.
He's not going to be the 3rd C though, he'll be a top 6 winger or a top 6 C. Splitting up your forwards in the playoffs in a niche matchup situation to run three balanced lines is not the same thing as him being a 3C.

I can't see the number being 9 with Suzuki's contract already signed either.

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
I know he said he'd like to play for the Habs but I'd just expect us to be used in a bidding war if he goes UFA. The timing is good however.. If by some miracle we get both PLD and Huberdeau I don't think my body could handle it..

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I really doubt Hughes and Gorton are dumb enough to give a big money long term contract to a guy who will be 30. They'll have cap space, but not THAT much cap space.

Hopefully he re-signs in Florida and we can avoid the debate.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
A sort of recap of the Trouba trade request, which looks very similar to what is happening now with Dubois (he demanded to be traded out).

Of interest the author thinks that in the end the Jets won that trade even if initial outlook was bad.

Reactions: Takeru

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All this talk about Dubois but as one poster put it, Aho is due to become a UFA the same year that Dubois is. And Aho owes us. :naughty:

Pretty sure Dundon will not sleep on him like the last time.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
A sort of recap of the Trouba trade request, which looks very similar to what is happening now with Dubois (he demanded to be traded out).

Of interest the author thinks that in the end the Jets won that trade even if initial outlook was bad.
That's why a deal around Baron + 1st should be considered fair.

Reactions: Destopcorner

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
All this talk about Dubois but as one poster put it, Aho is due to become a UFA the same year that Dubois is. And Aho owes us. :naughty:

Pretty sure Dundon will not sleep on him like the last time.
At one point the Habs will become an intriguing destiny for players. I like the youth core of Cauf, Suzuki, Slaf and Dach. Added in with this years 1st and 2nd rounders and pre-existing youth we are 2-3 years away from entering the window I think.

Wonder what aging cap strapped teams look like ala Tampa for example.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
What would it realistically take to land Dubois? Dvorak + Anderson + a B prospect like Harris or Mysak maybe?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would it realistically take to land Dubois? Dvorak + Anderson + a B prospect like Harris or Mysak maybe?

There is no realistic part to this. Jets want top value and Habs have leverage due to Dubois wanting to play in Montreal and forcing his way to UFA with two more RFA years.

I feel that the Jets will hold their ground but at some point you got to shit or get off the pot.

I'd rather keep Dvorak/Anderson/Harris and it's not close.

I rather keep Anderson and Harris too but Dvorak? I value him but come on man.

Reactions: Sebastien
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad