HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Think of it this way, at one point Molson will ask them to find a local top6 player.

Already seeing boomers on French social media talking about trading for Samuel Girard since “we need a D like that”. Ugh

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
When's the last time a local player of PLD's caliber tried this hard to force his way to the Habs? Did it ever even happen? Feels surreal.
He isn’t forcing us way to MTL… He is forcing us away out of Winnipeg or to a monster contract. Is agent specifically says Montreal is ONE of the city we would like to play in (but it isn’t the only city…) no one is ever going to said I don’t want to play in MTL, as long as Montreal is in the mix there 200% more media coverage which is what he really want.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Trading for PLD now make sense... the question is what is the asking price and where does the cap flexibility from from to sign him this summer??

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I love the proposals here for Dubois 🤣🤣

Dvorak + Drouin + Norlinder type of trade ?? What the hell guys...

Let's move all our cap dumps + failing prospects for a star PPG player LOL

There is no way they trade PLD if it's not against a 1st round pick and another strong prospect like Guhle to even start the discussion

I agree some proposals are preposterous.

However, PLD really tied their hands with his statements about Montreal (public). I'm sure some teams won't give a flying F and maybe still trade for him but he's taken away any leverage for Winnipeg with his statements.

That said, Winnipeg can always just hold on to him since their cap situation isn't as dire as ours.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
And you're living a fantasy ignoring that Dubois is on record at saying he will force his way to UFA in 2 years. And then a few weeks later, his agent says he does want to play for the Habs.

You clearly don't believe in leverage and a declining value asset as he heads towards UFA. You say we we are living a fantasy but how would you feel if we said you were ignorant?
Other teams will trade for him and risk it. Never sees to amazing me how much people here want to trade for goid players and give nothing back

Sebastien

May 1, 2022

Dvorak + Drouin + Norlinder type of trade ?? What the hell guys...exactly

There is no way they trade PLD if it's not against a 1st round pick and another strong prospect like Guhle to even start the discussion

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I got laughed out of the Peg thread for making an offer like that lol
You’d get laughed out of the Vegas threads for proposing a Pacioretty for nothing cap dump. And San Jose for the same with retention on Burns.

Turns out we are all homers and tightwads and don’t see the bigger picture: a player who is not under contract and up for renewal has a lot of subtle power and though limited in real affect, he can flex it if he must.

From his debacle in CBJ he knows he can’t take a hockey organization at their word and he knows that as a (R)FA be shouldn’t give up his future leverage as a UFA by committing to that city or club.

They can throw stupid money at him (9+) or they can respect that he’s looking for a two year deal. The third option is a trade to another team — he has no obligation to sign with that team for longer than he wants either. So his value isn’t sky high, it’s rather cagey and based on a lot of back room conversations and hints between his agent and other clubs.

There is no benefit to the Habs in waiting for two years. A lot can happen and change in two years that isn’t worth risking. When a 60pt power forward on the right side of 25 wants to join you, you don’t turn it down.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Trouba was a 50 point defenceman the year he was traded for Pionk and a mid 1st. Rangers fans were laughing at the trade. Guhle+1st to start is way off.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Those are a lot of IFs you got there. Not sure it's wise to pass on players like PLD for reasons like this.

I'd rather grab all the value we can if there is an opportunity for it. Worst case if Dach and Mesar hit their ceiling, then we just flip them for needs. Very good problem to have.
Well sure. If the cost to acquire is a first plus a sweetener, and the cap hit will be $6.5M, that could be value. We would have to be able to navigate the cap for this year, but it might be worth the effort.

If we have to send two firsts or equivalent, and pay $9M in salary, to me that is not grabbing value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love it that for once a player is forcing his way here if true. A lot of players don't want to play in Canada to begin with because of the weather, the media pressure and in our case in Quebec you can add the language issue. Our pool of professional players is already probably one of smallest in the nhl. And now we should even avoid going after local players that want to play here because some here don't like the way he's forcing his way out of another team? Like how much more of the pie should we cut out?? If there is any chance of landing him for anything that is not crazy I say do it without hesitation. No brainer!!

Last edited:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If you’re not sure if you have the assets to acquire him or if you able to fit him under the cap, does it really make sense…

Well, in a vacuum, it make sense to add him to the roster: young, big and talented local player. There is no reason not to be interested in him. Where the wheel fall off is when you look at the acquisition price and the cap hit he may have. And until you know how MTL can manage this, you can't dismiss the notion of getting him being a good thing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Think of it this way, at one point Molson will ask them to find a local top6 player.

Already seeing boomers on French social media talking about trading for Samuel Girard since “we need a D like that”. Ugh
It’s not just “boomers”. There are several Franco media pundits who have bought into that type of thinking and they run the gamut in terms of age. It’s not age, it’s mentality. Demagoguery is not age-specific.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You have to give to get, obviously, but there are some players like Ghule who can be tagged as being off limits. Just cause Ghule is not in the discussions doesn’t mean a palatable offer can’t be made.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Looks like the Dubois saga is going to be my hockey entertainment this summer.

I'm now hoping a team offersheet him for 2 years for max drama from Winnipeg...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you’re not sure if you have the assets to acquire him or if you able to fit him under the cap, does it really make sense…
If Winnipeg wants to get assets for PLD but are willing to tread water on cap hit, they can get the assets agreed to and take expiring contracts back.

Dubois for Florida 1st plus B+ prospect plus Byron and Drouin (40% retained) for the year.

Dubois 7 years $6.5M

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
Name some similar trades and what the package looked like.

It’s funny to see people overvalue trade values and be proven wrong time and time again. Pacioretty was dumped for ZERO return. It’s a buyer’s market.

Why are we comparing:

33 year old Paccioretty, last year of contract, on a team in trouble with salary cap

to

24 year old Dubois, RFA, on a team in no hurry to trade him.

Name some similar trade?

I don't know man, Mantha got Vrana back + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick.

Mantha was older and had pretty much a similar production.

There is no way we land Dubois with the proposals in this thread

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Why are we comparing:

33 year old Paccioretty, last year of contract, on a team in trouble with salary cap

to

24 year old Dubois, RFA, on a team in no hurry to trade him.

Name some similar trade?

I don't know man, Mantha got Vrana back + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick.

Mantha was older and had pretty much a similar production.

There is no way we land Dubois with the proposals in this thread
You realize Dubois is unsigned and doesn’t want a long contract and went public with his desire to hit UFA in two years

He has zero obligation to sign anywhere if he doesn’t want to

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad