HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I would make the move but only if the trade is not a gold mine. Dvorak, Panthers 1st, and Kidney is as high as I go.

Over the last two years, Dubois has 7 more points and 3 more goals (pro rated numbers) vs Dvorak. Dubois is better than Dvorak but overrated? Depends on who you ask and what you think the overrated thresholds are.

Dubois and Anderson types are pieces you win with. We disagree there. These guys have way more value in the playoffs than the regular season

Pro-rating numbers is dangerous though (unless the player proved he can do it in the past). The fact remain Dvorak never did 40 points in a season. His case reminds me Martin Hanzal. Lot of people wanted us to overpay for Hanzal when he became UFA because of his pro-rated numbers. I advocated back then it was stupid to overpay for a guy who had never done more than 41 points in a season. Hanzal was a big flop.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pro-rating numbers is dangerous though (unless the player proved he can do it in the past). The fact remain Dvorak never did 40 points in a season. His case reminds me Martin Hanzal. Lot of people wanted us to overpay for Hanzal when he became UFA because of his pro-rated numbers. I advocated back then it was stupid to overpay for a guy who had never done more than 41 points in a season. Hanzal was a big flop.

It's not dangerous really but it does show if a player can't stay healthy. Calling Dvorak just some 30 pts guy and negative value? That's stupid too.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Mcdonagh, Patches, and Burns got traded for nothing, so Petry likely starting with the habs this season since we're not going to give him away for nothing.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
PLD is 1 year older than Suzuki. Not saying it's a good idea to acquire him but age should not be a reason we do not. PLD is 2 years and 4 months younger than Dvorak.
Ok figured it was 2 years but it because birthday yes it is only one year with Suzuki but he basically the older player in the future core… Suzuki and CC will be part of our core but in order to be legit contender will need guy from the 22 and 23 draft to play a big role guy. The age isn’t much of a concern but we have to pay to acquire him and than have to pay big money to keep him.
We don’t have a legit goalie and we barely have 3 legit NHL D man. Dubois fit in the issue his that we have too many hole to fill before we start giving asset to acquire him.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As for overpaying to get him, of course we should not, but when people just assume in advance that the cost will not be affordable, that seems to be a wrong approach.
It's because people seem to confuse a limited leverage the Jets have with no leverage. For some reason folks assume we could trade for PLD with main piece being Dvorak and consider other scenarios as an overpayment.

Fact is, we can make an attractive offer without involvin any of Suzuki/Caufield/Slafkovsky/Guhle.

Reactions: Runner77

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
TVA Sport article mentions "a source close to the situation" said that Habs had a pretty good offer on the table for Dubois during the draft, but they still have to clear cap before getting it done.

Just hope their source is not Renaud Lavoie :laugh:

Reactions: Habs10Habs

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
He was an established 2nd/low end 1st center/winger at 23 years old (he just turned 24). He's big and he can skate. Also, he wants to play in Montréal, but that you mentioned.

Oh and he hates Matthews. :naughty:

Saying that, I'm not for or against acquiring him.

On paper there is much to like about adding such a player to your roster. But I see one glaring fault in Dubois. He tends to give inclination towards being a spoiled brat. Things are not going his was, he is unsatisfied for some reason or another....he mopeds and pouts...

When you reach the NHL, you are to be a real pro and a team-first individual. Dubois is establishing a record in the opposite direction.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot curve...

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
TVA Sport article mentions "a source close to the situation" said that Habs had a pretty good offer on the table for Dubois during the draft, but they still have to clear cap before getting it done.

I'm thinking, and this is pure speculation, that maybe HuGo feel the need to speed this up because of how quickly Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa have sped up their rebuild. Even with PLD - which makes us quite formidable but young in our top 6 - the D is really way too young, and lots of question marks with CP31. I guess they feel when a young guy who plays a premium position wants to come here, you jump at it. waiting 2 years still remains a large gamble.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

That’s possible. Seems like he wants Petry off the books first so he can get PLD. And if we can infer from today’s press conference, the first piece that has to be played is Kilngberg signing away from Dallas

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Dubois is a gamer. He's got multiple levels and his value is deeper than points. Those who think he is not that good, don't know hockey like they think they do.

* Asks for a trade out of Columbus and likely wants to go to Montreal.
* Jets intervein and offer Laine thinking they can convince Dubois to sign long term.
* Dubois looks very uninspired the rest of that regular season but was solid against the Oilers in the playoffs. However very uninspired against the Habs. Go figure eh
* Dubois sucks it up and has a very solid season last year.
* Dubois shows his potential at the WJC. 13 pts with 7 goals in 10 games and a +11. Like I said, he has multiple gears and I think he brings it if he played for the Habs

We would be very lucky if Dach turns into a Dubois type of center. Very lucky
Stopped reading after the "If you don't agree with my point of view, you clearly don't know hockey."

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Mcdonagh, Patches, and Burns got traded for nothing, so Petry likely starting with the habs this season since we're not going to give him away for nothing.
I get the Mcdonagh trade because cap space and performance… But Patch 37g in 39gp and Burns 54pts almost top 10 in the league for D playing in SJ (30th in scoring ) are still legit NHLer and the $ and term aren’t that bad… they should carry a lot more positive value than negative value… I’m guessing since the both have M-NTC they were able to dictate where they were being traded or there is a lot of team looking to than we think… KH is doing the right think by not accepting a bad deal just to get the trade done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A point that isn't mentionned enough regarding the PLD sweepstakes.

Don't forget who becomes UFA at the same time as him:
Our very own boy Seb Aho, who is expected do us a solid back for having received the contract he wanted from us :sarcasm:
Who wouldn’t rather have Aho over Dubois? Throw a pile of cash at him, he’ll be young enough to keep producing on that deal.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Looks like Jonathan Drouin 2 to me

Overrated is maybe the wrong word
I don’t think he’s very good
Drouin never wanted to become a hab on his own. Just a bad Gm overpaid for him, simple. And pld has accomplished way more then drouin did ...
I think people have ptsd from the drouin trade and it is affecting the judgment on PLD. In a way i dont blame them, however i dont see it as the same at all

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One thing that has become clear with HuGo is that they stick to their price and won't make a move just to make one. I can respect that approach, even if it means not always getting stuff done as quickly as we might be hoping as fans. It's better to drive a hard bargain in the long run IMO, especially when you have some leverage like with Petry.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Drouin never wanted to become a hab on his own. Just a bad Gm overpaid for him, simple. And pld has accomplished way more then drouin did ...
I think people have ptsd from the drouin trade and it is affecting the judgment on PLD. In a way i dont blame them, however i dont see it as the same at all
PLD quit on his team in a way I’ve never seen anyone else do
Bad attitude, and he’s accomplished nothing in this league

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Is that the real incarceratedbob? Because if a team wants Drouin, please give him to them even if it's for cheap. It free a roster spot and money for Dach this year.
Does LA have any contracts they need to get rid of?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
PDL is older than our core and will make a lot more money + you will have to give up 3 asset pick and prospect (which are all younger than PLD or our core)…
Damn I didn't know Dubois was 80 years old.

PDL is older than our core and will make a lot more money + you will have to give up 3 asset pick and prospect (which are all younger than PLD or our core)… This will be worst than Toronto signing Tavares because they got him for free has a UFA imagine the leafs without Tavares. The money they had to give out, the moves the had to make to be cap compliant and they were never able to assemble a good enough D core or goalie or dept up front because of it

JT was 3 years older than PLD at this same time when he signed with TOR. JT also signed for 11M - no way we're paying Dubois that kind of dough.

If he signs a 7 year deal that will take PLD to the ripe old age of 31. That's right at the end of his peak, and he's only one more year older than Suzuki! Perfect age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad