Confirmed with Link: Trade: Pierre-Luc Dubois to Washington for Darcy Kuemper… the trade is one for one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Necas, Ehlers, Guentzel, etc whatever other forward we’ve been rumored to be sniffing around all make this team slightly better, but we don’t have that luxury.

We either need to suck baaaaaad or be elite, Du Bois affords us both possibilities.

The worst outcome would be us being a fringe playoff team again.

So either we got a 30/30 guy or we’re going to the lottery for the next few years. Win/win

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Kings fans coming in peace- If the Caps manage to get PLDs compete level to the minimum needed to play in the NHL he may be a solid player. Problem here is was traded to the Kings with that reputation and did nothing to dispel it and actually bolstered the claim. Happy to see him and his contract gone that said- he wasnt a bad guy or primadonna. People who interacted with him all had good things about him as a person...but on the ice he really looks like a guy who doesnt like his job. Hope he turns it around for you guys but watching PLD last season made me wish we had simply traded for Nic Dowd.

Sidenote- Caps are one of my favorite Eastern Teams back to the early days of Langway, Stevens, Hatcher, Johannson. Hope Ovechkin can hang around long enough to break the record for you guys and good luck next season.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Necas, Ehlers, Guentzel, etc whatever other forward we’ve been rumored to be sniffing around all make this team slightly better, but we don’t have that luxury.

We either need to suck baaaaaad or be elite, Du Bois affords us both possibilities.

So either we got a 30/30 guy or we’re going to the lottery for the next few years. Win/win
So now we are in a complete rebuild lol? We are 6 seasons removed from the cup. Haven’t won a playoff series since. And now we are talking tanking/rebuild. How the eff is GMBM still here if we are talking now 10 years from the cup and not a single series win.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
More likely I'm guessing Lapierre plays wing, mostly because of face-offs. That said, McMichael remains RFA so it'll be interesting how this changes their sorting. Do they look to make further moves, particularly if Leonard returns to BC? For full entertainment value they definitely need Leonard in the mix. C'mon, man.

One thing on Dubois last season is he was more or less relegated to the bottom six. A role that was earned but it's not like he had amazing linemates much of the time either. In DC he'll be thrown into a prominent role you'd think and...we'll see.
Yeah, acquiring him was curious for LA, as they didn't really need a center, and had holes in other places.

Reactions: um

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Strome - PLD - Leonard
Ovi - Lappy - Miroshnichenko
Milano/Cristall - CMM - Wilson
Beck - Protas - Sgarbossa/Frank/other

Fever- JC
AA - Montour
Sandin - Ioiro

Chuck/Clay

Trade Dowd, Jensen, and TVR before/at the Draft for picks.

Moving Strome to the wing will NOT ruin him - he is "comfortable at both positions" and I contend his increased effectiveness and output will persist at LW. He says so here...

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I don’t think being a fringe playoff team is the worst thing if it’s because our young players take a step forward.

Let’s face it, last years team had no business making the playoffs. If this years team has some business making the playoffs, that’s an improvement.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Strome does not move

He’s killing it at center. You keep him there

PLD - Strome - Leonard
Ovi - Lappy - Miroshnichenko
Milano/Cristall - CMM - Wilson
Beck - Protas - Sgarbossa/Frank/other

Fever- JC
AA - Montour
Sandin - Ioiro

Chuck/Clay

Maybe PLD is good with that for a while.

Either way it allows this group to all play together for at least a while and then you can decide if you need to trade a Forward out. Too many people want to trade CMM right now... I think either of the two scenarios deserves a good long try before throwing away CMM just like Siegs, Stevenson, Forsberg...

And how does this move affect Leonard's decision for next year. I have to think they speak to him again. That's why I included him in both scenarios I just posted.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’m really surprised by how many people are optimistic on this one. 4th team in 7 years is not exactly a ringing endorsement and 7 years left at that cap hit is scary.
I mean, you can bitch and moan about it or you can try to figure out how to build the best team for the future cause there’s no trade backs in the NHL

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
buying out Kuemper or trading him at 50% retained would equate to getting PLD at 7x$7.1-7.375 if you don’t factor in cap space depreciation, slightly lower if you do, 25 year old 6’4” centers aren’t usually free, upside doesn’t compare to Kuzy

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
We literally just traded the exact same thing away

DK is done and has a cup on where PLD is potentially going to be good or most likely the next in the lineup for bitchfest by fans. I look at it as DK lost his job and it returned a need in the lineup in terms of skill and age.
I’m really surprised by how many people are optimistic on this one. 4th team in 7 years is not exactly a ringing endorsement and 7 years left at that cap hit is scary.

We'll see. I give it to November and he leads this board with complaints and game threads about his coasting. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Jun 15, 2007
More time to process this trade and I still like it

Kuemper....he has one good eye. He's not realistically getting any better or living up to his contract. I don't even think Lindgren is that good but Kuemper is never gonna be the answer.

PLD. He's at rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up.

It's a gamble but a gamble that makes sense.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I mean, seriously. 2 of the franchises were CBus and the ‘Peg. 2 bottom 5 places to want to go play NHL hockey. Peg had a decent enough team…..Winnipeg and winters are not a great combo.

The LA washout scares me some, but sounds like PLD and spotlight maybe don’t mix. Bad years happen to everyone. And I mean that. EVERYONE.

This is his time, or he’s going to be highly paid fodder. His career is on the line. DC is a great place to live and play.

With the price being a 5m backup G?

Go back one year. We could get PLD for Kuemper. Everyone on here would be crapping their pants for that.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Watching some of the very same posters who repeatedly dragged Kuzy and Mantha for their efforts levels try to justify this trade is utterly bewildering.
Mantha played great hockey under Carbery and Kuzy played better with a change of scenery

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
If the justification for acquiring PLD is that his 2023-24 season is an outlier and they're hoping for a bounce back so that he can help them win games (and a 40 point player eating $8.5M in cap hit is not going to help them win games, see Kuznetsov), then the same logic can be applied to Kuemper.

First of all, I don't think it's as simple as "hoping" anything. You don't make a deal like this without talking to your coach and arranging to talk to the player. If you're going to make a commitment like this, you wanna look a guy in the eye, so to speak. I sincerely doubt they're going into this blind.

And second, the "same logic" can't be applied to Kuemper. Kuemper is 34 and has one eye. ;)

PLD is 26 and came into the league putting up 50 and 60 points. One guy has real potential future in the NHL and the other guy is on a plane to LA.

It's a risk, no question. But MacLellan's gotten us out of bad contracts before. Every time so far, in fact. This one's a doozy for sure, but there's enough possibility and time in our current situation to let that be tomorrow's problem.

This was a way to offload Kuemper without giving up futures. We have the cap space, and if PLD busts, then GMBM has his work cut out for him. Groaning about that now is putting the cart before the horse.

Let’s face it, last years team had no business making the playoffs.

Exactly. Carbery got blood from a stone last year, and BMac's had a nose for worthwhile reclamation projects. We've got the right recipe here to rehab PLD if it's possible, so there's no overwhelming reason to be optimistic OR pessimistic at the moment. Let it play out.

There's going to be A LOT of turnover the next few years. No sense getting our knickers in a twist over this one...

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We all made fun of the Flyers for overpaying for Kevin Hayes when they signed him to a $7m/7year deal, yet this board is now bending over backwards to justify PLD's $8.5M/7years. This is gonna be the same thing, a couple years of decent-ish production (accompanied by a big body loafing) followed by being forced to eat 50% of his deal for multiple seasons when the team is supposed to be turning the corner into contention.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Far as moves that can still be made?

Let’s just say the Caps resign CMM & Malenstyn for 3.5m combined. They promote Lapierre, Miroschnichenko, and one of the Hershey G’s.

Those 5 players give them 22 skaters (13/7/2). Which would leave them with 7.1m (ish) to play with.

Were I in charge, I’d do whatever I could to add a top 2D. Using Jensen’s (or TVR’s) salary slot. That gives you 10-11m to use. In some form or fashion, and needing a D-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad