Confirmed with Link: Trade: Pierre-Luc Dubois to Washington for Darcy Kuemper… the trade is one for one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Block

Feb 14, 2005
If it's true that the cap hit on the buyout would be 1.1 mil for 14 years, do that.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Watching some of the very same posters who repeatedly dragged Kuzy and Mantha for their efforts levels try to justify this trade is utterly bewildering.
I am one of those, and again, this trade could really blow up.

He was the third overall pick, like Strome. He has been passed on by three teams, Strome two.

His talent is undeniable.

Add in, Darcy Kuemper. Who isn’t an NHL goaltender anymore.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Dubois is 25 on his 4th NHL team.

Basically if you average it, he spends like 1.5 years with one team. Obviously there’s something wrong with the player or else he wouldn’t be traded 3 times in the last 3 years. 7 more years at 8.5 mil is a lot. Could have make offer for Lindholm. A player who has much better producer.

Reactions: Block

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Pretty big bet on the value of a change of scenery for both sides. I like it. Seen enough of DK and think PLD has obviously underperformed but has also been scapegoated disproportionately by coaches, GMs and fans of shitty to average teams.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A 7 year deal at 8mil for a player who has requested 2 trades and is on his 4th NHL team at the age of 25. Who’s been called selfish and soft.

Whether it happens this year or in two years this is going to get BMac fired. And hamstring the team for years.

Reactions: Block

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
A 7 year deal at 8mil for a player who has requested 2 trades and is on his 4th NHL team at the age of 25. Who’s been called selfish and soft.

Whether it happens this year or in two years this is going to get BMac fired. And hamstring the team for years.
That talk isn’t allowed around here. Don’t you know this is all hail GMBM land!?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Teams don’t give up on young talented C prospects after a year unless there are major issues.

Columbus, he forced his way out.

Winnipeg, he informed them he wouldn’t sign long term and they wanted to change up the room.

Los Angeles is perplexing from the Kings perspective. I assume Byfield’s ascension has something to do with this.

Either way. What’s the issue? Washington isn’t rebuilding. They have multiple players over the next few years taking up cap space and simply swapped them. In four years the PLD contract will be fine.

He’s also the exact player type that has had success within the Capitals model the past 15+ years. Fedorov, Riberio, Ovi, etc. The selfish, entitled type that has thrived in the environment. Would be surprised to see PLD to hit a career high next year tbh.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Columbus, he forced his way out.

Winnipeg, he informed them he wouldn’t sign long term and they wanted to change up the room.

Los Angeles is perplexing from the Kings perspective. I assume Byfield’s ascension has something to do with this.

Either way. What’s the issue? Washington isn’t rebuilding. They have multiple players over the next few years taking up cap space and simply swapped them. In four years the PLD contract will be fine.

He’s also the exact player type that has had success within the Capitals model the past 15+ years. Fedorov, Riberio, Ovi, etc. The selfish, entitled type that has thrived in the environment. Would be surprised to see PLD to hit a career high next year tbh.
The contract is crushing.

Comparing PLD to Ovy and Fedorov is just laughable. Neither of those guys were soft or selfish. And both are HoFers.

Ribeiro was short term fix. He wasn’t here on an anchor contract.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Watching some of the very same posters who repeatedly dragged Kuzy and Mantha for their efforts levels try to justify this trade is utterly bewildering.
You'll get over the shock of not everyone thinking like you someday.

We literally just traded the exact same thing away
Kuzy is 7yrs older, seems to hate hockey and DC, has barely topped 20 goals twice in the six seasons since the Cup, and has a rap sheet a mile long.

Not the exact same thing at all.

How do you know DK didn't ask to be let out after being demoted? He was a huge waste of cap space and we needed another C to replace Kuzy and probably Backstrom.

This move may not work out and the contract is long but I understand why they did it. If it fails you may get your wish and GMBM may be fired in a year or two after his own quasi-version of the Forsberg/Erat debacle. So you should be happy!

That talk isn’t allowed around here. Don’t you know this is all hail GMBM land!?
1718832586870.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The contract is crushing.

Comparing PLD to Ovy and Fedorov is just laughable. Neither of those guys were soft or selfish. And both are HoFers.

Ribeiro was short term fix. He wasn’t here on an anchor contract.

8.5 is not an anchor deal with today’s cap increase.

It’s not a player skill set comparison, it’s the fact players that are me first tend to have success in this iteration of the Capitals.

Either way, I guess we will just wait and see, but this PLD is awful narrative strikes me as the typical hockey hive mind making a decision without any backup.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Holy shit. Kuemper was terrible.

PLD had good years in Winnipeg. He didn’t want to sign there, so they got a ransom for him.

Yes, it didn’t work out in LA. Like it didn’t work out for Strome in Chicago.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Let's look at the upside... PLD settles in and performs to his potential with a good mindset... current youth improve... Miro and Leonard excel...we make smart additions and trades... some good draft picks this and next year... could all turn out pretty decent.

Last edited:

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I see this basically as PLD for 3 years at 3.250M$ (his AAV - Darcy's AAV)
Salary cap will continue to rise in future years. He's still 25.

Motivation is his issue? I think playing with Ovi should motivate him. + other Vets (Oshie, Carlson, Wilson) should let the guy know that he needs to give a f.
Agree with this take. For the next three years, which is probably all we have left with Ovie, we add 3.25M towards the cap and a center who's just a year removed from a pair of 60 point seasons where he centered a top line and fed an elite sniper on his left wing. Have him center Ovie and Wilson and tell them to go out there and be wrecking balls. That'd have to be the biggest top line in the NHL.

It's a major gamble, but there was no path to contending while Ovie's still here that wasn't going to require them to hit big on some major rolls of the dice. With this gamble they're leveraging their cap space in the post-Ovie years that'll probably be a rebuild anyway. I'll take this over alternatives like gutting the system to pry Zegras out of Anaheim or trying to win the bidding war for 29 year old Lindholm who's coming off a season almost as bad as PLD's and is still gonna get a massive contract cause he's the only decent center on the market. If Carbery can work some magic like he did with Mantha this year this could be huge. At the very least I'm pretty excited to see what they do with the rest of their cap space at this point. No way this is the only significant move of the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad