Confirmed with Link: Trade: Pierre-Luc Dubois to Washington for Darcy Kuemper… the trade is one for one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I have NEVER advocated for such a god awful move. There isn’t a single reason you can call this trade a better move VS signing the lines of Reinhart or Guentzel. Or a move for Necas or Ehlers etc etc etc.
Who said those moves are out? We took on like a net of 3 mill cap space this season. Lots of moves could still be made.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Question is that 40 point season an one of or the new standard. Contract of course looks very bad on 5-6 Mio USD we would celebrate that deal. .
Need 70 points plus to get the relevant value. given our current Team we nee to go ways like that to improve the team. Just on UFA or trades market no chance.

Reactions: Block

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'll wait & see what other trades come in before making full judgment. What else was out there? They needed a top 6 center to truly compete (which was promised) and I don't think there was another Strome available. 25's still young, and he's obviously got the tools. Worst case scenario he can still put up points playing with talent, even if the overall game isn't there. Isn't that what was missing from this team? 8.5 isn't horrible long term if the cap keeps going up, and this team will have money in spades post-8.

It's a big gamble and likely BMac's job I would imagine.

Last edited:

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have NEVER advocated for such a god awful move. There isn’t a single reason you can call this trade a better move VS signing the lines of Reinhart or Guentzel. Or a move for Necas or Ehlers etc etc etc.
Last I checked they still have all of their assets left and the cap space to go after those types of players…..

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Carolina isn’t trading Necas to us?

What does Ehlers cost?

PLD is cheaper than both Guentzel and Reinhart, but I won’t pretend they aren’t better players.

If you add in losing Kuemper, PLD value gets better. Kuemper is a terrible backup. LA should buy him out.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
For over 8 million he needs to be a 75+ point guy who plays some D. Otherwise he's just another bad contract.
Not super excited about the trade but also not sure I completely agree with that either. The cap keeps going up and we're about to enter some dark sad times where we might struggle to hit the cap floor. In 2-3 years 8.5 probably looks reasonable for a 30-30/25-35 top six center, especially on a team with plenty of cap room. This is all dependant on him producing and not throwing a temper tantrum cause he wants to leave for team #5. It really all hinges on how he's deployed, how he fits in with the culture and if he's going to grow up during the length of this deal.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This is worse than Mantha. I question the competence of the pro scouts. A guy who bitched his way out of his previous two teams and is still on a massive long term deal with full NTC.

Good luck lol

Reactions: RandyHolt and Block

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We need to stop lumping Jimi and CMM together.

I would be all for trading CMM for a goal scorer, and agree, not Laine. Konecny would be my top choice.

Can we go live?
No we really dont. Both of those players are young and play the same position and I don’t foresee one of them playing 4C long term if Dowd is moved. We also can’t assume that Jimi is going to definitively be a top 6 center based off of 50ish games played. He’s a gamer, but he needs to consistently produce until he’s penciled in that role. I would ageee that I would rather move CMC as he seems to have less upside overall

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
No we really dont. Both of those players are young and play the same position and I don’t foresee one of them playing 4C long term if Dowd is moved. We also can’t assume that Jimi is going to definitively be a top 6 center based off of 50ish games played. He’s a gamer, but he needs to consistently produce until he’s penciled in that role. I would ageee that I would rather move CMC as he seems to have less upside overall
These players have different ceilings.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
The cap keeps going up and we're about to enter some dark sad times where we might struggle to hit the cap floor.
And I'd still rather barely hit the floor with guys who play hard than someone like this, because at least they'd be interesting to watch. A less skilled version of Kuzy would literally make me tune out.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015
Ill step in and go on record saying i actually really like the dynamics on this trade.

Getting rid of Darcys contract weighs in a lot for me. He was washed up here (hope he gets back to form with a change) and just waste of cap space.

We added 3,5 mills of cap space while acquiring a 25 year old player who should be good enough for top6, 20+40. Upgrades the roster immediately. There was no free agent or trade target who would have been avaivable without giving significant assets and more cap space in short term.

And that comes with the risk we all recognize. It also comes with potential upside noone likes to mention. Dubois is very talented, and most of 25 year olds havent got it all figured out yet. Ill give him a chance before ill start throwing stones.

And what goes down if Dubois fails like everyone expects him to? Its a long contract for sure, but i have no clear vision what Caps
were going to look like after Ovie hangs em up. The vision isnt much of clearer now, but i think we atleast can see this move as some sort of line in the sands. We are putting a lot of our chips in the middle here. If Dubois succees here we dont need to go down the hard way, but can rebuild on the fly. If he fails, who cares about his contract years 4-7, as we are going to suck hard those years anyways.

Meanwhile he is an upgrade for our top6 for next year and ill just take that for now. Short term we get better. Long term its high risk high reward. Keep evaluating this trade year by year, i guess. And it costed us nothing atleast :)

didnt we lose cap space? or am i thinking of the contracts wrong? We are bringing in 8.5M and sending out 5.25?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
And I'd still rather barely hit the floor with guys who play hard than someone like this, because at least they'd be interesting to watch. A less skilled version of Kuzy would literally make me tune out.
I don't disagree with you at all buddy, just trying to put the most positive spin I can on a potentially terrible trade. lol

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I can't imagine a bigger swing this offseason other than Guentzel, but that probably wasn't happening.

A bunch of minor acquisitions wouldn't really move the needle, they needed someone who could impact the game at an elite level.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ted is really putting his money where his mouth is on this one….

PLD makes this the next 3 years in terms of real cash…vs an $8.5 cap hit…

His last 4 years are 6.8 mil in real cash which could make him a bit easier to move later in the contract if things go poorly and they go full on rebuild.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Need 70 points plus to get the relevant value.

Depends on how you look at it. We paid $3.25m to get rid of a 5.25 guy who likely wasn't going to play 35 games for us next season and may have been a liability in those games, and we added a guy that makes us immediately stronger up the middle for all 82, potentially freeing up assets to make another move.

If PLD plays well, he makes himself tradable. If he continues to sputter, that's tomorrow's problem. Unloading Kuemper was going to cost us, or we just let him take up space. If they think they can do something with PLD, fine. It's a tough pill for sure on the money side, no question. But on the hockey side, our team just got better. Some addition by subtraction, plus a piece we might be able to polish up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad