Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I see broberg in ekholms mould. Give him a couple years and he will catch up. Can edmonton wait for that? I dont think so but they probably dont subscribe to the tampa bay lightning school of thought. They still have most their draft picks for the next 3 seasons after all
They are the anti-Lightning, and with Draisaitl and McDavid up in 2 and 3 years it seems they are hedging their bets one or both are unlikely to stick around.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
They are the anti-Lightning, and with Draisaitl and McDavid up in 2 and 3 years it seems they are hedging their bets one or both are unlikely to stick around.
I mean... if i was a world class player that any team would likely move the cap possible to give me what i want and i saw the management of my current team basically shuffling deck chairs... id consider moving

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm a little worried for Ekholm if he is dealt, to be honest. He's a total "warrior" but a very low-key one. Could you imagine him having to go to Edmonton with that media circus and costing whatever ridiculous package he goes for and then they continue to flame out? Dude doesn't deserve that type of scrutiny.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I honestly don't feel like there is ANY negative aspect at the back end of that contract. I don't know exactly when people started thinking players at 34-35 years old are anathema, but I think that's a little extreme. Ekholm is a rock solid citizen for us, and I have no qualms whatsoever keeping him for 3 more years, no negatives whatsoever. And really, if we're rebuilding/retooling we are never going to be desperate for Cap space in that time. So who cares. Keep the ones that we brung to the dance, he's a proper Pred.

That said... yes, I would ultimately accept Broberg and a 2nd. I think Broberg is the more key asset to push for in such a trade than any 1st. He has size, skating, he's a little gentle, but there is a good player in there who we could transform into a top-4 D for us. Saving 10+ years on age is also attractive, even though it will take a little luck for him to ever hit Ekholm's level. But we have entered that era, it seems.
It's not that nobody can ever sustain a high level of play till 35-36. But the large majority of players see a significant dropoff. Ekholm has mostly avoided that so far but as a GM you have to kind of play the percentages.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm a little worried for Ekholm if he is dealt, to be honest. He's a total "warrior" but a very low-key one. Could you imagine him having to go to Edmonton with that media circus and costing whatever ridiculous package he goes for and then they continue to flame out? Dude doesn't deserve that type of scrutiny.
Flip side, he's with 2 of the best forwards in the game, he might win a Cup if they get their house in order, he will put pucks on their sticks that go in the net, and his career might also have a bit of a rejuvenation and land him another nice contract after this one... which riding peacefully into the sunset with us probably won't ever get him.
:dunno:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Edmonton’s issue was an inability to build a solid team with all of those top draft picks over the span of a decade … so much firepower up front but no blue line or consistent goaltending. Sitting at $71mil committed for next season with 14 players is why they just traded a pending FA who they wanted to take a couple million below his QO number.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's not that nobody can ever sustain a high level of play till 35-36. But the large majority of players see a significant dropoff. Ekholm has mostly avoided that so far but as a GM you have to kind of play the percentages.
Let's just say I think "playing the percentages" is exactly what we're doing if we're asking for 2 1sts. It's the right threshold. Set the bar high to play those percentages, don't budge, don't feel any pressure whatsoever if nobody wants to meet that threshold.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
dude is getting paid like 6.25M, I would gladly deal with all of that (including living in Edmonton) for 1/2 that.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm for - 2023 1st, broberg, 2023 3rd and Yammamoto (for cap help next year) - make sense?
That's even more than I am asking for. And I'm stingy on Ekholm. Definitely don't need the 2023 3rd. Yamamoto is up to how the Oilers see him, but if he's "zero value" in that trade and just a Cap dump, fine. 1st+Broberg is already at the top of what we can hope for, I wouldn't stretch past that. Settling for something a smidgin lower would be a better level to calibrate expectations to.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just an FYI since it seems based on your posts your imagining having Duchene play C, but he hasn't played C for us in two seasons and we tried him there when we first started it went poorly.
Meh. I still take him. Canes need top 6 scoring either way. Teuvo is likely not re-signed after next year, or if he is it's in a diminished role. Aho, Svech, Necas, Jarvis is a good core for the top 6 and maybe Kotkaniemi works his way in there as well. I guess the only issue is that Duchene typically plays RW and we already have that in Necas and Jarvis.... and also TT. Ideally would want a LW.

Svech - Aho - Jarvis
Duchene - KK - Necas

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
That's even more than I am asking for. And I'm stingy on Ekholm. Definitely don't need the 2023 3rd. Yamamoto is up to how the Oilers see him, but if he's "zero value" in that trade and just a Cap dump, fine. 1st+Broberg is already at the top of what we can hope for, I wouldn't stretch past that. Settling for something a smidgin lower would be a better level to calibrate expectations to.
Yea it was more shaking out as

broberg and 2023 1st = Ekholm

2023 3rd = taking yammamoto contract dump

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yea it was more shaking out as

broberg and 2023 1st = Ekholm

2023 3rd = taking yammamoto contract dump
I will add for posterity that I see Broberg + 2nd > 2 1sts, fwiw. Broberg is that important a component to all this.

I don't care one bit if Yamamoto is seen as positive or negative value... if Trotz let that part of things get in the way of anything, I would be disappointed. I do like the "vision" I have of Trotz sitting across a table from an agent negotiating contracts, or on the end of a phone with a rival GM, though. That's quite a different picture in my head than the refined and polite picture I have of Poile. :)

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I will add for posterity that I see Broberg + 2nd > 2 1sts, fwiw. Broberg is that important a component to all this.

I don't care one bit if Yamamoto is seen as positive or negative value... if Trotz let that part of things get in the way of anything, I would be disappointed. I do like the "vision" I have of Trotz sitting across a table from an agent negotiating contracts, or on the end of a phone with a rival GM, though. That's quite a different picture in my head than the refined and polite picture I have of Poile. :)
Well, if Yammamoto is included, (I value him negatively as a cap dump) I'd suspect we should get a 3rd to take on the contract

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
After the Jeannot trade and the blow up in the front office, if the team said, "we are taking the TDL off." I honestly can't complain. You can trade Ekholm in the summer and Jesus the picks.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad