Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
cap wise, Ekholm needs 1.486 Million of cap. Edmonton has that
Have to look at the long-term picture. They have $10M space projected for next season, with only 7 forwards and 4 defensemen per cap friendly. They'll still have to send salary back to make it work (some combo of Yamamoto, Foegele, Ceci, Kulak).

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Have to look at the long-term picture. They have $10M space projected for next season, with only 7 forwards and 4 defensemen per cap friendly. They'll still have to send salary back to make it work (some combo of Yamamoto, Foegele, Ceci, Kulak).
I would not complain with Yamamoto. If the Preds are rebuilding, they need bodies to play.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I do wonder what impact playing with draisaitl and mcdavid has on a young player mentally. These are two of the best forwards in the league. If you hit any kind of stumbling block or stop producing, it has to play games with your mind. You see it all over here. "He cant produce with those two? He should be cashing in mcpoints on a daily basis". Thats two first round picks (puljujarvi and Yamamoto) that have failed next to those two. Maybe it takes a particular set of skills to really excel there?

While i wouldn't be jazzed if Yamamoto was a big part of the return, he intrigues me. Hes smaller but skilled and shifty. With all the bigger forwards we have, maybe we could use that skillset? Then again we have Evangelista so 🤷‍♂️

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I do wonder what impact playing with draisaitl and mcdavid has on a young player mentally. These are two of the best forwards in the league. If you hit any kind of stumbling block or stop producing, it has to play games with your mind. You see it all over here. "He cant produce with those two? He should be cashing in mcpoints on a daily basis". Thats two first round picks (puljujarvi and Yamamoto) that have failed next to those two. Maybe it takes a particular set of skills to really excel there?

While i wouldn't be jazzed if Yamamoto was a big part of the return, he intrigues me. Hes smaller but skilled and shifty. With all the bigger forwards we have, maybe we could use that skillset? Then again we have Evangelista so 🤷‍♂️
Evangelista is not small..

Reactions: SouthNash

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
NHL has him at 183 lbs now so maybe he's put on some weight in the last couple years?

Looking at some of his highlights in Milwaukee he's certainly not big but he's also not noticeably small like Yamamoto.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know Poile doesn’t normally retain but in this case I would. I would retain 3 million. A 5 million dollar duchene would make his value sky rocket. He had 43 goals last year and would currently be only 3 points away from you guys leading scorer. Would the retention get a 1st and morrow? If not then I would do 23 1st, drury and maybe Trikosov for duchene

It's tempting. Duchene at $5m as our 2C that can also beast on the 1st line would be huge and really help to keep our window open.

1st + morrow is certainly a fair ask. All I know is Canes org has been pretty firm on him and Nikishin not being available, but anything can change.

1st + Drury + Trikosov... damn, I think Gleb is gonna be really good but yeah, I probably do that one. Drury is primed to become a good 3C. We were talking about him being our Jordan Staal replacement but now that is probably Kotkaniemi so there's less space for him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
How attached are Carolina to Kotkaniemi?

Considering hes getting paid near 5M and his career high is 35 points.... i wouldnt think youd be terribly attached unless you are just sure hes about to break out. He is only 22 so he should still have room to grow

If Carolina wants Duchene...and the Preds need warm bodies....

We like him. He hasn't produced offensively on a consistent basis but he's has played an overall good 200ft game. He's a weird player but he does a lot things you look for... he's a big body that likes to be physical and goes to the net. He has a nice shot... he's just kind of passive when it comes to offensive instincts. Seems like maybe he thinks the game a little slow. But when he's determined and wants to make a play he's kind of a bull.

Obviously with the investment that was made on him and the fact that he's only 22 we see him growing into a bigger role on the team. Having said that, he's not a core piece like Aho, Slavin, Svech, Necas, etc. so if we can upgrade an area of need (scoring C) then ya, he's available.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We like him. He hasn't produced offensively on a consistent basis but he's has played an overall good 200ft game. He's a weird player but he does a lot things you look for... he's a big body that likes to be physical and goes to the net. He has a nice shot... he's just kind of passive when it comes to offensive instincts. Seems like maybe he thinks the game a little slow. But when he's determined and wants to make a play he's kind of a bull.

Obviously with the investment that was made on him and the fact that he's only 22 we see him growing into a bigger role on the team. Having said that, he's not a core piece like Aho, Slavin, Svech, Necas, etc. so if we can upgrade an area of need (scoring C) then ya, he's available.

Just an FYI since it seems based on your posts your imagining having Duchene play C, but he hasn't played C for us in two seasons and we tried him there when we first started it went poorly.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Broberg and 1st. In Trotz we Trust.

How disappointed would everyone be if the return were just Broberg? Or Broberg and a 2nd (2023). I have a feeling we aren't properly discounting the negative aspect of the back end of that contract.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How disappointed would everyone be if the return were just Broberg? Or Broberg and a 2nd (2023). I have a feeling we aren't properly discounting the negative aspect of the back end of that contract.
I honestly don't feel like there is ANY negative aspect at the back end of that contract. I don't know exactly when people started thinking players at 34-35 years old are anathema, but I think that's a little extreme. Ekholm is a rock solid citizen for us, and I have no qualms whatsoever keeping him for 3 more years, no negatives whatsoever. And really, if we're rebuilding/retooling we are never going to be desperate for Cap space in that time. So who cares. Keep the ones that we brung to the dance, he's a proper Pred.

That said... yes, I would ultimately accept Broberg and a 2nd. I think Broberg is the more key asset to push for in such a trade than any 1st. He has size, skating, he's a little gentle, but there is a good player in there who we could transform into a top-4 D for us. Saving 10+ years on age is also attractive, even though it will take a little luck for him to ever hit Ekholm's level. But we have entered that era, it seems.

Reactions: Soundgarden

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Id personally take just broberg but im very high on him
Same here if we can get broberg and a 2nd i would be great with the trade. I’d even take Yamamoto or ceci back for cap reasons. Broberg will be a solid top four maybe even a top pairing in his prime. Problem with Edmonton they can’t wait their window is now

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm really iffy on the only return being any d-man drafted and "developed" by the Oilers. It's also really hard to see them dealing him if he's already breaking into their lineup at 21.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Same here if we can get broberg and a 2nd i would be great with the trade. I’d even take Yamamoto or ceci back for cap reasons. Broberg will be a solid top four maybe even a top pairing in his prime. Problem with Edmonton they can’t wait their window is now
I see broberg in ekholms mould. Give him a couple years and he will catch up. Can edmonton wait for that? I dont think so but they probably dont subscribe to the tampa bay lightning school of thought. They still have most their draft picks for the next 3 seasons after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad