Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Cool. Other than the standard picks type stuff, what are the Preds looking for in prospects or players?
i would be thrilled with getting a 1st round pick back. preferably this year. as far as prospects, all positions really except for goalie. i would like prospects around the 20-22 age so there is a good blend of picks in upcoming drafts but also kids developing in the next 2-3 years as well. if a 1st round came back for Duchene, i wouldn’t expect a teams blue chip prospects coming back by any means.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Cool. Other than the standard picks type stuff, what are the Preds looking for in prospects or players?
Duchene's a tough one to evaluate for sure. He's been real good for us the last two years but he still carries a lot term and dollars with him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
i would be thrilled with getting a 1st round pick back. preferably this year. as far as prospects, all positions really except for goalie. i would like prospects around the 20-22 age so there is a good blend of picks in upcoming drafts but also kids developing in the next 2-3 years as well. if a 1st round came back for Duchene, i wouldn’t expect a teams blue chip prospects coming back by any means.
This seems pretty fair. I'd be basing this on no retention which I think you all have mentioned in the past is not really your thing, and I can understand that with there being multiple years left on the deal. The Canes are in a decent position to take on full salary of Duchene. at least for this year. We have *some* bigger decisions to make in the next 2 years so theoretically if we were able to get $1-2 retained and up the offer.

But as is I'd say 1st + 3rd/4th + prospect(s) would work.

Morrow and Nikishin are off limits for us, but Drury, Suzuki, Rees, Honka, Bokk, Gunler, etc. are up for grabs. We've got a pretty good array of forwards. I'd say less so for D, just because Morrow and Nikishin are our two best prospects and they are both D so it falls off more after that.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
This seems pretty fair. I'd be basing this on no retention which I think you all have mentioned in the past is not really your thing, and I can understand that with there being multiple years left on the deal. The Canes are in a decent position to take on full salary of Duchene. at least for this year. We have *some* bigger decisions to make in the next 2 years so theoretically if we were able to get $1-2 retained and up the offer.

Morrow and Nikishin are off limits for us, but Drury, Suzuki, Rees, Honka, Bokk, Gunler, etc. are up for grabs. We've got a pretty good array of forwards. I'd say less so for D, just because Morrow and Nikishin are our two best prospects and they are both D so it falls off more after that.
i think there is plenty there to make a deal. I won’t pretend to know a ton about other teams prospects unless they are highly regarded.

but a 1st + mid round picks + B-C prospect would probably be enough for Duchene imo. Retention is unlikely but that was with Poile. who knows if trotz would be open to it. Or maybe that’s just a no go from ownership. No one really knows as of now.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, obviously not that we can do anything about it but cool to come to a consensus on fit and value on HF.

1st + 3rd + B prospect works for me

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Do you need cap help with a trade?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Well, obviously not that we can do anything about it but cool to come to a consensus on fit and value on HF.

i personally would welcome some retention. even if it just bumps a pick up a round or 2. or that B-C prospect to an A grade.

I don’t see us having any cap trouble with our recent trades and I expect ekholm to be traded by the deadline as well.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Just a mathematical thought. If Johansen is done done, his contract is insured and the cap hit is LTIR. You theoretically can package him with Duchene and the cap hit is cancelled till the last yr of Duchene's contract and only have to pay 8 mil a yr because Johansen's contract would be insured. To break it down,

Cap wise you only have to pay 8 million cap on the last year of Duchene's contract in 3 yrs

Cash wise, you have to pay Duchene, Johansen might be done for the career. IF he is done done.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Do you need cap help with a trade?

Not for this year but next year and the year after. Aho, Necas, Jarvis, Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, TT all need deals. Probably can't/won't want to keep them all but having extra room will help with raises. Staal is likely getting re-signed this off season but he's making $6m so he will probably get a pay cut to the $3-4m range.

i personally would welcome some retention. even if it just bumps a pick up a round or 2. or that B-C prospect to an A grade.

I don’t see us having any cap trouble with our recent trades and I expect ekholm to be traded by the deadline as well.

I don't see Canes org willing to bump up to A prospect level but definitely would add in more/higher picks or a second mid tier proscpect.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I'm doubtful on this. The Oilers and the Kings are the two teams most in need of a player like him and I definitely see Holland cheaping out on the stated price--and the Kings going Chychrun.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I'm doubtful on this. The Oilers and the Kings are the two teams most in need of a player like him and I definitely see Holland cheaping out on the stated price--and the Kings going Chychrun.
I thought I had read Caps (after their trade, yes), hurricanes, and sabres as 5 after chychrun. i think it makes a lot of sense to shop ekholm aggressively now with our recent trades and seeing ellis, subban, weber etc break down at certain ages.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

I know Poile doesn’t normally retain but in this case I would. I would retain 3 million. A 5 million dollar duchene would make his value sky rocket. He had 43 goals last year and would currently be only 3 points away from you guys leading scorer. Would the retention get a 1st and morrow? If not then I would do 23 1st, drury and maybe Trikosov for duchene

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Ekholm’s a player who should have a bunch of value in the summer as well.

It really depends on how others view the value of that contract. I personally am not a fan of it* and imagine most GMs will feel the same in the offseason. To me the time to move him, if that is the plan, is now while teams are most desperate and potentially willing to do things they might not otherwise do.

*I'm saying this mainly in the context of an assumption that we might be a few years out from anything meaningful so having so much money tied up in aged/aging D men does not seem conducive to a retool.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

So clears Puljujarvi’s cap off the books. I think it could mean an Ekholm or Chychrun deal is close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad