Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
I think 2 will
If I were Eck, I'd be nervous about Barry's trigger finger -

Oct 21, 2011:

When you cross Barry Trotz and you happen to be on his team when you tick him off, you’d better get out of the way. After Nashville’s 5-1 loss to Vancouver last night, Trotz sounded off in a big (and pretty hilarious) way to the press afterward.

The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper dodged the insults and got the quotes we all desire.

On the play of rookie Mattias Ekholm, Trotz was brief.

“I thought he was horrible, just horrible.”

When it came to the host of younger guys he’s playing and having them deal with the likes of the Sedins and Ryan Kesler, Trotz was dead-nuts direct.

“You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league, if you’re scared of that, get a dog.”

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
The 2025 1st for Jeannot reads to me like it's a trade piece if we look competitive after a retool. If we weren't aiming for that, then Josi and Saros should be on the table as well.

I've been an active advocate for trading Ekholm and keeping Fabbro, but with the acquisition of Foote...screw it, trade em both. I feel okay rolling with:

Josi - Foote
McD - Carrier

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The 2025 1st for Jeannot reads to me like it's a trade piece if we look competitive after a retool. If we weren't aiming for that, then Josi and Saros should be on the table as well.

I've been an active advocate for trading Ekholm and keeping Fabbro, but with the acquisition of Foote...screw it, trade em both. I feel okay rolling with:

Josi - Foote
McD - Carrier
If Foote develops you could do that. He's not ready for that role right now. He trails in almost every defensive category for Tampa, and only played in 26 games.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Josi - Foote
McD - Carrier
There's no need to force anything here, and we can bridge Fabbro if the timing isn't right but we're not sure on his long-term status. If the value we want isn't there then you sit tight and wait til somebody has a D need they have to overpay on. In the meantime we maintain a pseudo-competitive environment for the younger players to develop in.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We probably need to set the expectations on Cal Foote down some.

From Cal Foote, Tampa Bay Lightning, D - News, Stats, Bio
Foote has been a healthy scratch eight times in the Lightning's last 10 games, including the last three.

Foote and Haydn Fleury remain on the outside looking in more often than not, but they do play for one of the best teams in the league. And one with a strong top four or five guys. They've both been passed by first-year defender Nick Perbix. Foote is still just 24 and there's still time for him to grow into a more consistent bottom-pair defenseman. But even then, his fantasy contributions will likely be limited to hits and blocks.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
We probably need to set the expectations on Cal Foote down some.

From Cal Foote, Tampa Bay Lightning, D - News, Stats, Bio
TJ was a healthy scratch. ET had been a healthy scratch how many times? Not saying Foote is is one of those players but Coaches sit players for odd/wrong reasons. Lavy and Fiala for example. Maybe Foote needs some time in Milwaukee to get seasoned like Glass,Tomasino and Jusso did. Heck look at Novak. Some seasoning with the right coaches can do wonders for some players.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
TJ was a healthy scratch. ET had been a healthy scratch how many times? Not saying Foote is is one of those players but Coaches sit players for odd/wrong reasons. Lavy and Fiala for example. Maybe Foote needs some time in Milwaukee to get seasoned like Glass,Tomasino and Jusso did. Heck look at Novak. Some seasoning with the right coaches can do wonders for some players.
Wait are you comparing Jon Cooper's decisions to John Hynes decisions?

I jest. You are correct. I think Foote likely is a later bloomer and 24 is young for a big physical defenseman but the person I was responding too had Foote in the top pairing. Right now, he's likely closer to a 7 than he is a 2.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
As always with players at Foote's age it is possible the light will go on and he'll become a useful player (examples exist) but the odds are very long at this point.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well, Foote is in his 5th contract year already, he has long since used up his waiver exemption, so you can't send him to Milwaukee.

But in theory it should be a different environment for young players here soon. Maybe right now. Definitely next season, right? Young players shouldn't have to be walking on eggshells and afraid to make mistakes here anymore. That could help him too, since I'm sure there was always a lot of pressure to perform in Tampa.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Well, Foote is in his 5th contract year already, he has long since used up his waiver exemption, so you can't send him to Milwaukee.

But in theory it should be a different environment for young players here soon. Maybe right now. Definitely next season, right? Young players shouldn't have to be walking on eggshells and afraid to make mistakes here anymore. That could help him too, since I'm sure there was always a lot of pressure to perform in Tampa.
Didn't know he was not really a candidate for the Ads so my bad. But with Trotzy coming in and we all know he knows Defense better than most, he had to have some sort of approval for this trade. So maybe he thinks he can work with him and bring him around, I guess. I wonder if Mitch Korn is still available as a goalie coach? I also wonder what changes BT will make organization wize.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I mean carrier didnt really have it click till age 24. Thats why im weary of the idea of trading fabbro. Dmen typically take a while

I'm all in on trading Ekholm, McD, Fabbro I was thinking is on the chopping block because of value of having a 24 year old 1st rder on the 3rd pairing...

If it was me, no....unless you get Jeannot'ed. Then BAI!!!!!!!!!!!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
How many 6'5" 24 year old or younger defensive defensemen are excelling in the NHL right now?
Most of them seem to go the Tyler Myers/Ristolainen route, early success on the offensive side but then stumbling hard when that dries up and they haven't had the defensive side rounded out. Myers, for example, while not a great d-man by any means, has developed that defensive side more over the years. Maybe it has something to do with their size/strength being overeffective in juniors and there is a hole in their defensive development as a result. I'll say though, Phillipe Myers aside, there aren't many front office types I trust more when it comes to talent recognition on the D end than Poile and Trotz, so am cautiously optimistic on Foote.

I'm all in on trading Ekholm, McD, Fabbro I was thinking is on the chopping block because of value of having a 24 year old 1st rder on the 3rd pairing...

If it was me, no....unless you get Jeannot'ed. Then BAI!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the things that will quickly become clear is whether items like this are because of a unified organizational view or a Hynes thing. There's no reason Lauzon should be on a higher pairing than Fabbro.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What I am waiting for...

Ekholm trade

Lanky trade

1677537320211.png

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Oh....really?

EDIT for perspective, AA's trade was AA for Sam Gagner and 2 2nds. and Oilers are aiming to offer more.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd also look at Carolina. They need a left handed D.

I could see Ek to EDM. McD to Carolina. Fabs to San Jose depending on the pieces that come back.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Do you guys have a general consensus on a price for Fabbro and/or Trenin? I feel like both would be positive adds for where the sens are but they're not gonna give up that 1st with lottery potential I doubt.

Bernard-Docker, Thomson, Jarventie, Lodin, Sokolov, a pair of 2nds next year... Anything there of interest? We have one of Tampa's picks next year, maybe you guys could collect the whole set?

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I mean, I don't know if the front office was inspired by cocaine bear and they have a hidden MT of coke to fuel their trading but young cap dump + 1st & a 2nd. I'd be happy.

Reactions: herzausstein

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Yamamoto may not be huge value but you could certainly do worse as a throw-in

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I dont mind Yamamoto but i dont want a return centered around him. Maybe if the deal is bigger like including sissons and Yamamoto swap but even then not sure we gain anything there

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I dont mind Yamamoto but i dont want a return centered around him. Maybe if the deal is bigger like including sissons and Yamamoto swap but even then not sure we gain anything there
No; he probably shouldn't really even factor into the value of the return. With where Edmonton is at, he's more of a necessary cap dump in all reality. I'm just saying that as cap dumps go he's at least got some history of producing despite a pretty bad year so far.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No; he probably shouldn't really even factor into the value of the return. With where Edmonton is at, he's more of a necessary cap dump in all reality. I'm just saying that as cap dumps go he's at least got some history of producing despite a pretty bad year so far.
His two good seasons he spent 60%+ of his shifts with either McDavid or Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad