Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It will be interesting to see if teams start to get into an arms race, especially in the East. If TBL was willing to leverage that kind of capital for Jeannot who knows what a competitor might do to counter.
This is a great point. All it takes are a couple of desperate teams and who knows...Granny? Joey? Duchene?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If we trade Ek to EDM, I want Pool Party and a first at least coming back the other way.

I'd also look at Toronto's Knies
To me, Puljujarvi is just a dump I take back to help make the Cap work... I don't "want" him. Hynes isn't going to do anything useful with him, that's for sure. We won't have any real choice but to just let him walk after this season anyway, so it's just going to be money lost.

Give me a 1st+Broberg. If not, just Broberg. We need that D more than we need more picks.

Knies is worth a look, although I feel like Toronto fans are over-hyping him to some extent. He's an intriguing PF type of prospect, but he looked quite pedestrian in the WJC. There are some really good players on his team, and Cooley and Snuggerud drive things a lot more than he does, he's very complementary IMHO. I mean, I would still take him of course. Just I would rather Broberg, by a lot.
:dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we trade Ek to EDM, I want Pool Party and a first at least coming back the other way.

I'd also look at Toronto's Knies
Poolparty likely has to come back for cap purposes and then someone like kulak or foegele as well.

Id want broberg + a 1st but likely get talked down to broberg + mid round pick plus other cap ballist. Either way broberg is my target.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It will be interesting to see if teams start to get into an arms race, especially in the East. If TBL was willing to leverage that kind of capital for Jeannot who knows what a competitor might do to counter.
I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more movement in the West. There isn't a dominant team so it would make sense to try and bolster your chances.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If we're blowing it up it'll be worth it. His contract is large and we probably aren't moving a Duchene/Johansen anytime soon.
Plus he'll likely get a decent haul.

I was just thinking about Duchene. He keeps getting lumped in with the bad contract crowd but is it really that bad? He had a great season last year and is just off a ppg pace this year. He's actually outperforming FF9 on a ppg basis.

Duchene: 56 games 18 goals / 31 assists / 49 points (0.875 ppg)
Forsberg 50 games 19 goals / 23 assists / 42 points (0.84 ppg)

Duchene makes less than Forsberg as well.

Not advocating this as some bash on FF9. Just that I think if we're lumping Duchene in with the bad contract crowd that we should perhaps reflect on that a bit.

Duchene might also be more movable than we think given last season + this season's performance.

Reactions: Myopinionsarewrong

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I was just thinking about Duchene. He keeps getting lumped in with the bad contract crowd but is it really that bad? He had a great season last year and is just off a ppg pace this year. He's actually outperforming FF9 on a ppg basis.

Not advocating this as some bash on FF9. Just that I think if we're lumping Duchene in with the bad contract crowd that we should perhaps reflect on that a bit.

Duchene might also be more movable than we think given last season + this season's performance.
Yeah, I'm certainly happy keeping Duchene with his production. I just think if we looking at moving a big contract many across the league would be opposed to him and Johansen even if just based on past reputation.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Totally agreed. Duchene came here and gave us 2 seasons of looking like Turris. That was a big shock and maybe set some minds a certain way. But last season and this one, he has found a way to bring things back on track, thankfully. I have no issues with him or his contract right now.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Totally agreed. Duchene came here and gave us 2 seasons of looking like Turris. That was a big shock and maybe set some minds a certain way. But last season and this one, he has found a way to bring things back on track, thankfully. I have no issues with him or his contract right now.
He did have a poor start to this season as well but is now earning his money. The fact he's catching up to PPG pace even with that bad start probably means he's playing above his money lately.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think Ekholm and fabbro will be moved at this point. Trotz is being schooled on how to make the trades as well.

I personally would like both to stay, but I understand the need to move some players.
Lol i can actually envision poile and trotz sitting there and trading off anyone they can. This is a pretty quick crash course though. If we trade both of them, this is more cutting into the team then i ever thought would happen

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think Ekholm and fabbro will be moved at this point. Trotz is being schooled on how to make the trades as well.

I personally would like both to stay, but I understand the need to move some players.
I don't think there's a NEED to move players, still.

We don't lose anything by not taking a deal on Ekholm or Fabbro. If they are on our blueline next season under a different coach, it's not like their value should deteriorate at all, in fact Fabbro's might go up significantly.

So I'd pump the brakes on NEEDing to trade anybody. But the Trade Deadline is when some teams are offering, and I do not believe it is going to get better in the off-season at all. Not this off-season anyway. So sure, if somebody is ready to pay The Right Price, like on Jeannot, we're in a position to do it. But it still really must be The Right Price IMO. We don't NEED to trade anybody.

Reactions: weeze

You

Jul 1, 2010
I don't think Ekholm fits into what my opinion is of our next competitive window. I'm not sure anyone on their current contract does.

On the other hand, I could be convinced that we still mostly have last year's team that was 2nd in the Central though January or the ASB or whatever it was, and a new coach could conceivably turn things around. But the return for Jeannot is pretty weighted towards the distant future, which seems to indicate where this is headed.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I never want to move Ekholm. With that said, the possibility of him being moved is still quite high. Reason: He is still very good and he is expensive.
More reasons:
1) defense is Getting older and we are officially "retooling" by the time we get out of "retool" he likely wont be the player we need him to be
2) we have so much cap and money invested in aging dmen
3) only aging dman with no trade protections so likely easiest to move. Mcd would be my first option but with his ntc can we find a buyer where he is willing to go. We got him for essentially free due to those circumstances.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think Ekholm fits into what my opinion is of our next competitive window. I'm not sure anyone on their current contract does.

On the other hand, I could be convinced that we still mostly have last year's team that was 2nd in the Central though January or the ASB or whatever it was, and a new coach could conceivably turn things around. But the return for Jeannot is pretty weighted towards the distant future, which seems to indicate where this is headed.
Part of that is Tampa traded away all their high draft assets for the years prior to that already. In our favor, they may hit a bit of a downturn that far out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad