GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I, for one, am shocked a young defencemen isn't dominating in his first preseason game when paired with Ceci!
I, personally, love to complain about an 18 year old defenseman paired with Cody Ceci and playing behind the Sturm line for being a little behind the play and having trouble against a notoriously heavy Vegas forecheck.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
This feels like an overreaction. And this coming from me who just made a post about a season prediction based on this game.
Just saying what I am seeing. He has several years to develop so I am just hoping he is able to work on it. I feel he definitely should not be rushed and stays in the OHL until he is eligle to play in the AHL and let him play a full season there until we even think or talk about him playing in the NHL

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’ve only seen the 2nd period and Cagnoni, Eklund and Celebrini look good. They also all look like they’re still learning to play together.

Cagnoni genuinely looks like Dan Boyle out there, it’s actually quite exciting. Kid is smart, smooth skating, calm as f***… really like his play. I think we may have something there.

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
Canada
Sharks are getting cooked by the B team, season is over before it even started. Mack is going to go home and find all his shit on Jumbo's front lawn.

• Haha

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
To be honest if Sharks can be a little more confident with the puck this season it will help a lot entertainment wise.

But now they need to wake up and score in the third period! Comeback Sharks all the way!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Just saying what I am seeing. He has several years to develop so I am just hoping he is able to work on it. I feel he definitely should not be rushed and stays in the OHL until he is eligle to play in the AHL and let him play a full season there until we even think or talk about him playing in the NHL

He is SO young and so obviously nervous. Some players take a bit to adjust to the speed of the pro game. Give him more than 2 periods.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Been impressed with Cagnoni, Celebrini, Granlund, Eklund, Graf to some extent.

Dickinson and Musty have been not great. Dickinson will make a great play then chain it with an ungodly bad turnover. Just not confident in reading the ice at this speed right now. Musty is trying to forecheck, he's trying to be physical, but he gets caught puckwatching and waiting too often. He also stops moving his feet and looks for the puck, then he either gets the puck and is immediately attacked and loses the puck cause he stopped moving, or he never gets the puck because the would-be passer recognizes that he's being a stump.

Anyways. All that's to say this is just the critical eye. There are lots of good things with Musty and Dickinson under the surface. It's also game one of preseason and things can change on a dime. Hell Musty could have a hatty next period lol

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Been impressed with Cagnoni, Celebrini, Granlund, Eklund, Graf to some extent.

Dickinson and Musty have been not great. Dickinson will make a great play then chain it with an ungodly bad turnover. Just not confident in reading the ice at this speed right now. Musty is trying to forecheck, he's trying to be physical, but he gets caught puckwatching and waiting too often. He also stops moving his feet and looks for the puck, then he either gets the puck and is immediately attacked and loses the puck cause he stopped moving, or he never gets the puck because the would-be passer recognizes that he's being a stump.

Anyways. All that's to say this is just the critical eye. There are lots of good things with Musty and Dickinson under the surface. It's also game one of preseason and things can change on a dime. Hell Musty could have a hatty next period lol
The story of this game from my perspective is that outside of Celebrini, if you thought any of the other young guys on the roster were close to being NHL ready, this game will disabuse you of that notion.

Reactions: Munnyro and vortexy

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I don't know if you watched the rookie scrimmage, but he looked kind of bad there, but then bounced back for the rookie tournament last week and was pretty much a stud. I'm thinking it's as much nerves as anything having watched those games.

And yeah, he's a kid who just turned 18 this summer and no one expects to play outside of juniors this year, so even if he has these foibles it's a good experience for him to take from and learn from.

But I can't help but feel that there are still some fans (not saying you and that handsome cat face of yours) who get off on rubbing it in the organization's face over the draft pick when there's even a hint of struggles, since it wasn't their preferred prospect.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Thanks for giving voice to my observations on Musty. Something was lacking from his game and you nailed what it was.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
The story of this game from my perspective is that outside of Celebrini, if you thought any of the other young guys on the roster were close to being NHL ready, this game will disabuse you of that notion.
I dunno. Cardwell is close to getting some games this year. He's molding his game into what he will be at the next level. Cagnoni looks comfy offensively with a bunch of skilled players around him on the PP. He's been good. Isn't being eaten alive physically. Graf I think got significantly faster and he looks to be at least keeping pace.

Celebrini is just plug and play though so I get the point.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
I don't know if you watched the rookie scrimmage, but he looked kind of bad there, but then bounced back for the rookie tournament last week and was pretty much a stud. I'm thinking it's as much nerves as anything having watched those games.

And yeah, he's a kid who just turned 18 this summer and no one expects to play outside of juniors this year, so even if he has these foibles it's a good experience for him to take from and learn from.

But I can't help but feel that there are still some fans (not saying you and that handsome cat face of yours) who get off on rubbing it in the organization's face over the draft pick when there's even a hint of struggles, since it wasn't their preferred prospect.
This is fair, he did struggle in the first rookie face off game but played much much better in games 2-3 and it did seem like a confidence thing to his game. This performance definitely could be nerves, hope to see improvements in the following preseason games

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Musty looked terrible at the rookie faceoff thing too. History is littered with major junior point compilers whose offense never translated to the NHL. Hopefully he isn't one of them.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
This team is overthinking the game right now, they need to go to simple hockey. You can see that Vegas is just playing naturally, Sharks have all the pressure. Shoot the puck, help a teammate out and enjoy. We need one goal for the game to open up.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
We haven't seen Smith tonight, and really, other than Mukhamadullin (also not playing), I don't think anyone would have thought the other kids would have any realistic expectation of playing in the NHL this year (Musty would fit in the AHL as a learning experience, but that's not possible, which is the only reason anyone has mentioned him and the Sharks in the same breath for this season.

Musty looked terrible at the rookie faceoff thing too.
This feels like some bizarre revisionist history, but the problem is that was just a week ago so you can't fool people so easily.

• Haha
Reactions: Star Platinum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad