Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bruins only have X amount of cap space. If they cant fit him, they need to go with the Gs they already have. Unless you think they should dump someone to give him extra money?
All I’m saying is that’s not up to Swaymans agent to figure out. Whatever they feel the player is worth, that’s going to be the asking price.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is really just baseless speculation, but part of my feels like Swayman is hellbent on proving himself as a true #1 now that the tandem is gone and wants to be in contention for the Vezina. I just don't imagine him wanting to let the hold out spill into the regular season and hurt his chances there. Or maybe he cares more about money and sticking it to Sweeney 🤷‍♂️
Maybe. Maybe Sweeney wants to get passed the 2nd round this year and win a Cup for the first time. Or maybe he cares more about money and sticking it to Swayman.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
All I’m saying is that’s not up to Swaymans agent to figure out. Whatever they feel the player is worth, that’s going to be the asking price.
It's the agent's job to figure it out. Swayman doesn't have a contract. He can't sign for an NHL team other than the Bruins this year. He better have a SHL team lined up as a backup if his asking price isn't met.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's the agent's job to figure it out. Swayman doesn't have a contract. He can't sign for an NHL team other than the Bruins this year. He better have a SHL team lined up as a backup if his asking price isn't met.
It just takes two to tango. Too many people here acting like Swayman should accept whatever pennies Sweeney has to offer, and not to try maximize his value.

Not to mention Bruins still have a few bucks to spend.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It just takes two to tango. Too many people here acting like Swayman should accept whatever pennies Sweeney has to offer, and not to try maximize his value.

Not to mention Bruins still have a few bucks to spend.
I think Swayman overplayed his hand with no leverage and the Bruins are getting ready to walk.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
More BS about Swayman having "no leverage". :laugh:
What exactly is his leverage?

Holding out?
Hoping Boston's other goalies faulter?
Request a trade?
Price himself out of Boston's economic plan?
Doing so may force Boston to trade other player's hurting overall team depth just to fit the cap.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Well I hate to break it to you, but signing bergy/krejci caused an extra $4.5m in bonus overages last year which didn’t allow the bruins to offer swayman a bridge deal last year.

Yes I was against bergy/krejci signings because I said it wasn’t worth negatively impacting future rosters.

Fast forward two years later unfortunately that is exactly what’s happening.

All for a first round playoff loss.

Mistake might be a little much. But definitely a gamble that didn’t pay off and still hurting the team.
Your last sentence is probably most accurate and relevant to the current situation.

Every team in a win now mode takes those types of chances and deals with the consequences later on down the road. It's the cost of trying to win a championship.

The Bruins had a historic regular season and lost in the first round of the playoffs. If they had won the cup, would we still be having this conversation?

There are many other variables between then and now that affected the cap; nit just those two signing and bonuses. Also, during that time, Swayman grew, flushed and prospered; and happily so for Boston. Swayman, just as easily, could have faltered, falling on his face or been just mediocre.

Unfortunate events happen. Boston main objective is to stay a legitimate contender. Do what needs to be done for the present, without being totally foolish about the future, but that still may include taking calculated risks.

I am sure Boston and Sway will find their way and Boston will pay Sway a reasonable pay-day and Sway will ultimately play.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
What exactly is his leverage?

Holding out?
Hoping Boston's other goalies faulter?
Request a trade?
Price himself out of Boston's economic plan?
Doing so may force Boston to trade other player's hurting overall team depth just to fit the cap.
They traded another goalie before signing Swayman.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
They traded another goalie before signing Swayman.
I don't disagree and I did speak to that before Ullmark was traded.
Boston did bring back another, be it, a historically inferior goalie in the trade.
Boston does have a limit to how much they can realistically offer without damaging the team.
Swayman's greatest leverage would be for the other goalies to fall flat. Thus, forcing Boston's hand.
Time will tell.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Still doesn't mean I'm giving Swayman $72 million.

Oh hi Jeremy, I totally understand, and thanks for stopping in. While you're here speaking about not paying outrageous prices, I'd like to talk to you about your $60 parking for games and ridiculous prices for mediocre foods and watery beer.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Your last sentence is probably most accurate and relevant to the current situation.

Every team in a win now mode takes those types of chances and deals with the consequences later on down the road. It's the cost of trying to win a championship.

The Bruins had a historic regular season and lost in the first round of the playoffs. If they had won the cup, would we still be having this conversation?

There are many other variables between then and now that affected the cap; nit just those two signing and bonuses. Also, during that time, Swayman grew, flushed and prospered; and happily so for Boston. Swayman, just as easily, could have faltered, falling on his face or been just mediocre.

Unfortunate events happen. Boston main objective is to stay a legitimate contender. Do what needs to be done for the present, without being totally foolish about the future, but that still may include taking calculated risks.

I am sure Boston and Sway will find their way and Boston will pay Sway a reasonable pay-day and Sway will ultimately play.

It would be a different conversation about how he took a gamble and it paid off, if they had won.

Either way we would be talking about it one way or the other depending on the result.

Yes many teams take gambles to win. Very few teams (if any) have traded away two years of firsts and seconds and used $4.5 million in future cap on one roster. So it’s a bit amplified for sure.

And all of it was on rentals too. None of those draft picks or signings that used future cap were in the roster the next year.

And as a result we weren’t able to offer swayman a bridge deal and are in the current situation with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad