Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’m just assuming what we were referring to is accurate. All I’m saying is poile should not have anyone that is untouchable. if the players won’t waive then it is what it is.

Anyone above the age of 27 should be shopped is really my stance. The kids have shown more get up and go & guts on a nightly basis than I have seen from our core in several seasons.
Like I said we don't know what conversations have been had. There are 3 guys that can determine if they are movable, Josi, Forsberg, and McD. 2 of the 3 are untouchable which very well could mean Forsberg and Josi told him no and McD told him yes.

Now he isn't going to move Saros because outside of him we have exactly 1 NHL level prospect in the whole organization and if you trade Saros and Askarov fails you have nothing. Go look at how many teams have put themselves in that situation and they have spent countless picks and bad cap trying to find one.

Saros very well could bring a big return, and if we were going full rebuild I'd move him, but we really can't so I tend to agree with Poile on not trading him.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Barbashev put up 60 points last season, better than any season Nino has had, is 3 years younger and requires no future salary commitment. Even if Nino is a better player, those factors likely make Barbashev a more valuable one for this deadline.
Yea, so did Kyle Turris before we traded for him. I get that the value in the rental option though, which is why at least we should've held out on Nino until next year when he might've fetched more value as another 20+ goal scorer with no term left.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I would of liked a 23 2nd round but the 24 draft is supposedly still a good draft class. And let’s not forget the the jets was not a playoff team last year with basically the same team. They could very well fall off again and that 24’second could be a higher 2nd

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How is it hyperbole? Hyperbole doesn't base itself in rooted facts, my friend, look at the facts. We signed a guy to play 2 years that didn't even make it to his FIRST trade deadline before having to be traded away. WE GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, he didn't hold us up at gun point. We decided, full well, knowing we'd have to re-sign others come next year that we would sign him to get to the cap. We could've gone younger at the beginning of the season and not had Nino to shuffle around, kept the cap space and been fine.

While on the same hand as that, we then took that contract that wasn't a hefty contract in terms of cap and traded it away to a team in the division who we will have to play and took a mediocre return for them to take him. It was like we signed a guy and took a shit return for a cap dump. Imagine if the Preds got a 20+ goal scorer for only a 2nd rounder, we'd be over the moon and laughing at those idiots who traded him off. Especially if it was in the division.

So yes, terrible asset management, we could've easily waited 1 more TDL, since we're likely shopping more than Nino at this point. Sold him higher if he wasn't going to fetch enough with term on his contract or we could've just not signed him and had 20-30 more games of Tomasino and Parrssinen in the lineup with the top 6 for more seasoning.
And in the meantime we dont have 4 mil extra to sign Carrier, Fabbro, Jeannot and lose one or more of them? Would that not have been worse asset managment? If we were having a better year, and a legit shot at a playoff run, then having Nino would be great and we could have still moved him the summer for cap relief. But with a decent offer in the table and our playoff prospects looking dim, I agree with trading him now rather than risking him getting injured or declining performance and getting little to nothing for him after this season

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
And in the meantime we dont have 4 mil extra to sign Carrier, Fabbro, Jeannot and lose one or more of them? Would that not have been worse asset managment? If we were having a better year, and a legit shot at a playoff run, then having Nino would be great and we could have still moved him the summer for cap relief. But with a decent offer in the table and our playoff prospects looking dim, I agree with trading him now rather than risking him getting injured or declining performance and getting little to nothing for him after this season
If we're trading off Ekholm or Jeannot or both, then we still have plenty of cap space to sign people. We also have to remember Joey will be on LTIR and will have medical exemption vs the cap to start next season with his return timetable. So we have much more than 4m in cap space already.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If we're trading off Ekholm or Jeannot or both, then we still have plenty of cap space to sign people. We also have to remember Joey will be on LTIR and will have medical exemption vs the cap to start next season with his return timetable. So we have much more than 4m in cap space already.
First, who says we are trading ekholm? That's a pretty huge assumption to make.
Second, trading Jeannot doesnt save any cap space since he basically makes league minimum right now.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
LTIR?? I mean I would love that, Joey stinks. But isn’t his timetable just 12 weeks?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How is it hyperbole? Hyperbole doesn't base itself in rooted facts, my friend, look at the facts. We signed a guy to play 2 years that didn't even make it to his FIRST trade deadline before having to be traded away. WE GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, he didn't hold us up at gun point. We decided, full well, knowing we'd have to re-sign others come next year that we would sign him to get to the cap. We could've gone younger at the beginning of the season and not had Nino to shuffle around, kept the cap space and been fine.

While on the same hand as that, we then took that contract that wasn't a hefty contract in terms of cap and traded it away to a team in the division who we will have to play and took a mediocre return for them to take him. It was like we signed a guy and took a shit return for a cap dump. Imagine if the Preds got a 20+ goal scorer for only a 2nd rounder, we'd be over the moon and laughing at those idiots who traded him off. Especially if it was in the division.

So yes, terrible asset management, we could've easily waited 1 more TDL, since we're likely shopping more than Nino at this point. Sold him higher if he wasn't going to fetch enough with term on his contract or we could've just not signed him and had 20-30 more games of Tomasino and Parrssinen in the lineup with the top 6 for more seasoning.
I always thought Nino played a lot nastier AGAINST us when he was with Carolina than he did FOR us. Some games he was really grinding our gears when we had that Covid division. So yeah, if he goes back to doing that for Winnipeg next season, that could be annoying. But maybe it will matter less if we suck?

I figure we weren't going to be able to sign him if we had offered just a 1-year deal. He had already fallen through the cracks in the Free Agent Frenzy last year, he probably had a few bargain-shopper teams offering him 1-year deals, and we broke the tie by offering the 2nd year. So I don't feel like we really robbed him of anything, we probably also only really wanted to sign him for 1 year.

Waiting another TDL would have made it really difficult to re-sign our RFAs Glass, Jeannot, Fabbro, and Carrier. Of course, if Poile turns around and trades any of those guys or has trouble signing them even still, that will mitigate the value of that part of the Nino trade. Let's see how that goes.

Retaining on Nino to get a better return, as suggested above makes sense to me. But by now I think we all understand the Preds' business philosophy, and they have a fixed hockey ops budget that doesn't allow for such things. So it's nice to wish we could play that game like some other teams do, the reality is that just isn't on our bingo card. Maybe new ownership will change that eventually, but that's likely a few years off.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I mean he could've waited at least to see if there was market for McDonagh or Granny who are lesser pieces anyway. He didn't have to pull the trigger already last night on a weak offer.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
You really think the team is better overall without Joey?
Well, I do think so. At least, better than if we get the Joey that we get 60% of the time. We aren't better the other 40% of the time, maybe. But the way Parssinen, Novak, and Glass stepped up this year, that's 3 centers for less than a third of what Joey makes, who are each arguably better than he is. So yes, if we play 3 better players than him, and pay them combined 1/3rd the money, we can be better overall without Joey.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Well, I do think so. At least, better than if we get the Joey that we get 60% of the time. We aren't better the other 40% of the time, maybe. But the way Parssinen, Novak, and Glass stepped up this year, that's 3 centers for less than a third of what Joey makes, who are each arguably better than he is. So yes, if we play 3 better players than him, and pay them combined 1/3rd the money, we can be better overall without Joey.

You can’t do anything about the money. That is a sunk cost so is not even the point.

To rephrase, given the current roster and contracts is the team better without Joey playing?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
You can’t do anything about the money. That is a sunk cost so is not even the point.

To rephrase, given the current roster and contracts is the team better without Joey playing?
i believe the team would be better without johansen, duchene, or granlund. Obviously not all 3’s production taken out at once (as spotty as that is) but you could take any of the 3 out of the lineup, i would think the team is better. Vegas odds haven’t moved at all from what it was before johansen’s injury FWIW.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
i believe the team would be better without johansen, duchene, or granlund. Obviously not all 3’s production taken out at once (as spotty as that is) but you could take any of the 3 out of the lineup, i would think the team is better. Vegas odds haven’t moved at all from what it was before johansen’s injury FWIW.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not trying to advocate that Joey is the kind of guy that moves a needle like Vegas odds at this point in the season (I’ll bet if we lost all 3 you referenced it wouldn’t be that impactful to those odds either). But I do think he’s better than whoever is going to have to replace him.

But here’s the great thing. We get to find out.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not trying to advocate that Joey is the kind of guy that moves a needle like Vegas odds at this point in the season (I’ll bet if we lost all 3 you referenced it wouldn’t be that impactful to those odds either). But I do think he’s better than whoever is going to have to replace him.

But here’s the great thing. We get to find out.
agree with you for sure. I’m about as pessimistic as it gets to our whole core that we have here. I’m definitely guilty of valuing picks, prospects, and kids way higher than I should. Trenin and Jeannot’s production this year as great examples on why that’s not always wise.

and another FWIW, the odds did jump pretty high after the Nino trade. Assume Vegas knows more moves could be coming? From about +7500-8000 to win the cup ($10->$750-800) to +10000 ($10->$1000). I know you know how odds and all that works. Just throwing that out there.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Yes, I do think so.

I wouldn't have said it 2 months ago. I kept on the fence like you are doing right now. But the young kids have convinced me.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Apparently Poile is basically gone now so where will the rage be directed!? Hynes is probably right behind him absorbing the impact of the door.

My vote is for the next obvious choice: Gnash.

• Haha
Reactions: GeauxPreds1

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Apparently Poile is basically gone now so where will the rage be directed!? Hynes is probably right behind him absorbing the impact of the door.

Probably Josi to be honest. His play tends to open him up to criticism and he has wore the C over the most disappointing tenure of preds hockey to date.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

The cool thing is, a new GM and coach means we all get to push "reset" on all the biases and expectations we've piled up over the years. Where will the "rage" (it was NEVER actually rage, just us shooting the shit on a message board though) be directed? Who knows!!! We will watch what happens and something new will rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes of our old biases and expectations. That's going to be a lot of fun, I say!
:handclap:

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Dude, nobody knows until warm ups. Give it a f***ing rest with your fantasy team. Nobody cares.
We have also invested in other ways here sire. It'll be an intersting night for surely. Also because yall have so much info of your own team and sometimes even family members or friends and relatives posting at some boards, knowledge has been shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad