Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn’t trade Fabbro for less than a 1st or equivalent top prospect. Well, I wouldn’t trade him at all actually… I still see him as our best right shot D, and he’s got the mobility and youth we need moving forward. Nothing I’ve seen from him so far makes me think he’s worth any less to us than the draft pick we used to get him, which was what #17? He has developed well and gained quite a lot of experience at such a young age already.

There’s only one problem with Fabbro… initials JH…

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The trade seems a little light on draft pick valuation. A 2024 pick seems meh, especially a solo second rounder to Winnipeg at that. It isn't terrible, but it is on the lower end of expectations.

With that said, it does clear some space for cap space this year. Maybe we won't use that as the excuse to waive our first round picks anymore.

You

Jul 1, 2010
I wonder if there was a gentleman's agreement when Nino signed to trade him if we weren't in a playoff spot on X day? Probably not, but my guess would have been that we would stand pat this deadline, and we traded him earlier than we needed to for an underwhelming return.

Maybe the injuries moved the needle on selling, and maybe Poile decided risking having the $4 million against next year's cap was unacceptable?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The only report on the trade(the Dreger tweet) says the Blues are getting a "prospect"

Not sure how you will apples to oranges the differences in this trade to be able to use it to compare the Nino trade

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Barbashev’s contract is less than Nino’s and ends at the end of the season.
Which, in past years would have been a big plus to Nino. This year could be an anomaly on that front. 20 games of a player being worth more than a whole extra season? It's counterintuitive, but a flat(-ish) Cap could make it so, indeed.

The only report on the trade(the Dreger tweet) says the Blues are getting a "prospect"

Not sure how you will apples to oranges the differences in this trade to be able to use it to compare the Nino trade
I don't think it's that difficult to peg the pick value of a prospect. If they traded just a single prospect for Barbashev, it's going to be a really good one, probably.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

And Barbashev is an expiring contract, so even more difficult to compare--nobody has cap space for players on multi-year deals.

Reactions: PredsV82

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Dean's a forward (former 30th overall) and is not exactly progressing brilliantly in D+2. I do think it's a better return than Nino got but it's not that massive of a gap.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Dean's a forward (former 30th overall) and is not exactly progressing brilliantly in D+2. I do think it's a better return than Nino got but it's not that massive of a gap.
Problem being, Nino is the better player between the two of Nino>Barbashev. So we got the lesser return while trading the better player. That's poor management of assets. Nino and Barb have had a somewhat comparable season this year, though Barb tends to take a lot more penalties and doesn't help on the PP unit much. Barb does have an easier contract to get out of but Nino's isn't a break the bank contract and we could've retained 25% of it to make it more appealing if it got us a 1st + a B prospect or something rather than settling for a late 2nd to have extra cap space. Extra cap space to do what? Sign guys that may be traded next deadline? Sign young forwards we need to keep? Great, maybe play those guys more so we actually know if we need to keep them and not have them locked into 3 year contracts that we realize half-way through they aren't good enough. Hard to find out what you have if you stuff it down in MIL for the entire ELC and never give it a shot.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Problem being, Nino is the better player between the two of Nino>Barbashev. So we got the lesser return while trading the better player. That's poor management of assets. Nino and Barb have had a somewhat comparable season this year, though Barb tends to take a lot more penalties and doesn't help on the PP unit much. Barb does have an easier contract to get out of but Nino's isn't a break the bank contract and we could've retained 25% of it to make it more appealing if it got us a 1st + a B prospect or something rather than settling for a late 2nd to have extra cap space. Extra cap space to do what? Sign guys that may be traded next deadline? Sign young forwards we need to keep? Great, maybe play those guys more so we actually know if we need to keep them and not have them locked into 3 year contracts that we realize half-way through they aren't good enough. Hard to find out what you have if you stuff it down in MIL for the entire ELC and never give it a shot.
Barbashev put up 60 points last season, better than any season Nino has had, is 3 years younger and requires no future salary commitment. Even if Nino is a better player, those factors likely make Barbashev a more valuable one for this deadline.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Thuiking that the difference in trade returns in these two cases is significant enough to be labeled "poor asset management " is just ridiculous hyperbole. Seriously the only argument to make is if that return is bad enough that we should have kept Nino and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. We are gonna miss the playoffs this year, and that's with or without Nino, and probably miss next year, with or without Nino. So the option is keep him for no appreciable effect on the teams fortunes for the next two years, or get what you can for him and use the cap space to retain other assets that are going to have a much longer effect on the franchise's fortunes.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
This. Dean isn’t really producing like an NHL 1st round pick in a D+2 year in the Q. I know he projects more as a scrappy defensive style player though. But even still, guys usually kill junior at that age. Some St. Louis scout must have had a special liking for him.

I would peg his value more like a high 2nd…. Which is still a little better than what we got with a mid-late 2024 2nd. I would have been underwhelmed as a Blues fan. :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
They said in the Radio earlier this morning that it was Hughes skate that cut him deep enough to warrant surgery to repair stuff. The extent of the damage and injury isn’t being reported but they are estimating a Long recovery process and one he may never come back from. He might be done from hockey if the surgery doesn’t go well. LTIR until retirement is possible here
As a kid, I was a Cincinnati Reds fan. In 1971, Center Fielder Bobby Tolan tore (ruptured) his Achilles tendon while playing basketball in the off season. That was specifically against his player contract. He sat out the entire 1972 season. In 1973, he was the NL Comeback Player of the Year. In 1974, his BA plummeted 100 points. He had issues with management and teammates and was traded.

Tolan's injury was probably worse and he had a complete recovery. I think that Joey will be fine and back for next season.

Larry Bird had surgery on both Achilles tendons. He was out for a year and came back to the Celtics after being replaced by Jim Paxson of the U of Dayton and the Portland Trailblazers. At the end of Bird's career, his back was the problem.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
So many of you aren't realizing how hard it is to move a player with term at this stage of flat cap. Don't forget, Nino was a late addition from a FA perspective, that wasn't paid very much on not a very long deal...are we sure he's got all this value only our HFboard seems to be convinced of?

Reactions: LCPreds

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Like I said on the main boards they have full NMC's and we have no way of knowing but they may be untouchable because they said so not Poile.

Saros isn't going anywhere because Poile at a min will want him to help protect Askarov much like Rinne did with Saros.
I’m just assuming what we were referring to is accurate. All I’m saying is poile should not have anyone that is untouchable. if the players won’t waive then it is what it is.

Anyone above the age of 27 should be shopped is really my stance. The kids have shown more get up and go & guts on a nightly basis than I have seen from our core in several seasons.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
So many of you aren't realizing how hard it is to move a player with term at this stage of flat cap. Don't forget, Nino was a late addition from a FA perspective, that wasn't paid very much on not a very long deal...are we sure he's got all this value only our HFboard seems to be convinced of?
If the extra year is the deal-breaker then why not move him in the summer or at next year's TDL?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No. Hardly anyone was interested in adding him in free agency, so why is it that surprising there wasn't a robust market for him at the deadline. And, again, as far as Barbashev goes, he's got kind of a Jeannot element based on his big season last year--Nino is never going to be more than exactly what he is...a ~20g, 40-45p guy. We won't balk if Jeannot gets more in a trade than Nino did, even though one could reasonably make the argument Nino is the better player.

Reactions: Soundgarden

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Lets assume Poile canvased the league and Jets 2024 2nd was the best return. Other alternative is to keep him until this time next year when he has no term left and trade him. Would that approach yield a 1st? Probably not. Maybe we would have gotten a slightly better return. but we would have spent another $4m of cap space.

Real questions is, if we retained 50%, could we have had a 1st? And how much retention money can the Preds stomach to yield a better pick. Guess we'll never know but opening a clear lane for our kid forwards is worth it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Thuiking that the difference in trade returns in these two cases is significant enough to be labeled "poor asset management " is just ridiculous hyperbole. Seriously the only argument to make is if that return is bad enough that we should have kept Nino and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. We are gonna miss the playoffs this year, and that's with or without Nino, and probably miss next year, with or without Nino. So the option is keep him for no appreciable effect on the teams fortunes for the next two years, or get what you can for him and use the cap space to retain other assets that are going to have a much longer effect on the franchise's fortunes.
How is it hyperbole? Hyperbole doesn't base itself in rooted facts, my friend, look at the facts. We signed a guy to play 2 years that didn't even make it to his FIRST trade deadline before having to be traded away. WE GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, he didn't hold us up at gun point. We decided, full well, knowing we'd have to re-sign others come next year that we would sign him to get to the cap. We could've gone younger at the beginning of the season and not had Nino to shuffle around, kept the cap space and been fine.

While on the same hand as that, we then took that contract that wasn't a hefty contract in terms of cap and traded it away to a team in the division who we will have to play and took a mediocre return for them to take him. It was like we signed a guy and took a shit return for a cap dump. Imagine if the Preds got a 20+ goal scorer for only a 2nd rounder, we'd be over the moon and laughing at those idiots who traded him off. Especially if it was in the division.

So yes, terrible asset management, we could've easily waited 1 more TDL, since we're likely shopping more than Nino at this point. Sold him higher if he wasn't going to fetch enough with term on his contract or we could've just not signed him and had 20-30 more games of Tomasino and Parrssinen in the lineup with the top 6 for more seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad