Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Looks like, with Forsberg, Johansen and Parssinen ailing, Preds have 10 forwards, so Forsberg and Parssinen must be ready.????

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I mean, if you get a Bergeron in the 2nd round, a Marchand in the 3rd round, and a Pastrnak at #25, you have won the lottery. It's almost not even astute drafting at that point - it might be, but more likely you just got lucky.

Pretty much the same with Tampa for Point, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy.

How nice it would be to win the lottery. I dream of that everytime Powerball goes insane. Still waiting...
I call BS. It's not luck. If that's the case, are you saying Poile was lucky when he drafted Weber and Josi in the second round, Saros in the 4th and where ever Rinne went, 5th or 7th, I can't recall. Poile has drafted some amazing D and goalies over the years. He just hasn't done it up front.

Great teams find gems in the later rounds because they spend the money on scouts because there is no limit there. That's how you find the gems, more people scouting, more players looked at, the better change you have at finding these guys.

He got lucky drafting Arvidsson, Rinne, Saros, some others too. Everybody gets lucky sometimes. We got Josi and Weber with a ton of luck. It's great when you get it. But of course there are a bunch of other things you need at the same time, though. We've had hits and misses. It's probably just a fluke we hit more on D than F.
If it's just a fluke, why has he never been able to draft an elite/HOF quality forward in almost 40 years as a GM? At some point, he would've gotten lucky with your logic.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I call BS. It's not luck. If that's the case, are you saying Poile was lucky when he drafted Weber and Josi in the second round, Saros in the 4th and where ever Rinne went, 5th or 7th, I can't recall. Poile has drafted some amazing D and goalies over the years. He just hasn't done it up front.

Great teams find gems in the later rounds because they spend the money on scouts because there is no limit there. That's how you find the gems, more people scouting, more players looked at, the better change you have at finding these guys.

If it's just a fluke, why has he never been able to draft an elite/HOF quality forward in almost 40 years as a GM? At some point, he would've gotten lucky with your logic.
Oh there is some luck involved, just not in every single case. First couple of rounds guys have been seen pretty regularly, I think where scouting really comes into play as being less about luck and more about skill is in the last couple of rounds. Finding guys like Rinne cause you happened to be watching someone else and he caught your eye, or a Hornquist because you liked something about his game.

I'd also add that I think a couple of reasons you haven't seen that forward is because Poile had always been a Goal out GM. That's where they put their resources because that's the kind of team they wanted to build. The other is I think because of that you didn't have guys that were that good at developing forward talent either. Finally he never has drafted very high to start with, which is where a ton of your elite talent will come from. The two years he did he got Legwand and Jones, both of which were pretty much the best left by the time we got to draft.

As good as a team like Tampa has been they have also had their failures. They basically had to get rid of Drouin and just were lucky enough to catch a sucker in Montreal and he was drafted before Jones that year.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

If they knew those guys were such gems, they would have picked them much higher. They didn’t know. They took a flyer and lucked out. Or look at it another way: if you’re just THAT good at scouting, why don’t you ALWAYS pick guys who are that good? They’re always out there. How come you can see them once in a while but most of the time you can’t? Simple: Because it’s mostly luck!

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
so were looking like

granlund-novak-duchene
Jeannot-glass-tomasino
Afanasyev-Sissons-Evangelista
Nurmi-Mccarron-Sherwood

??

Also wonder if we can get a 2nd for granny too??
With current injuries, no clue how things shake out.

With forsberg and Parssinen back, id like to see
Forsberg - novak - duchene
Granlund - glass - tomasino
Trenin - Parsinnen - Evangelista
Smith - sissons - jeannot

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
If nothing else, we got a better return for a player we just got for free in free agency than the rangers just did for their 2018 9th overall pick
I would have rather seen the pick for Nino be for this year's draft, but that's a nitpick. We shall see if Poile has any other moves left before/on the trade deadline.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
It's a 2024 pick so the point about this year doesnt apply.

And nobody is feasting on Poiles corpse.

The only other piece I see him possibly being able to move is McD and that's only if McD has asked him to
I mean the return isn't great. We gave up the same amount for Lauzon as we got for Nino and I'm pretty sure Lauzon has scored more own goals than he's prevented so...

I'm happy we are selling but I think we could've gotten a late first or a lottery protected one.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Marek suggested Dallas is interested in Tanner Jeannot. Any thoughts on if this is true and if so, what a return might entail?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I mean the return isn't great. We gave up the same amount for Lauzon as we got for Nino and I'm pretty sure Lauzon has scored more own goals than he's prevented so...

I'm happy we are selling but I think we could've gotten a late first or a lottery protected one.
I think the lack of any salary retention is what made the price what it is. Teams can squeeze in 4 mil this year but committing to the full 4 mil next year would be tough to sell to a lot of teams

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think the lack of any salary retention is what made the price what it is. Teams can squeeze in 4 mil this year but committing to the full 4 mil next year would be tough to sell to a lot of teams
For a proven 20G scorer it really isn't. 101st constantly reminds us how few there are.

Again, compared Lauzon to Nino and tell me which is more valuable.

It's good we are selling but surely there was a better deal to be had closer to the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad