Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How many ES points do you need from a defenseman?
23 D-men had 25 or more ES points last year. The year before 22.

Ghost has had 24, 16, 32, 21 prorated - 26 average excluding his injury season
Provorov, 25, 36, 29 prorated - 30 average
Gudas, 14, 22, 15, 22 prorated - 18 average
Sanheim 10, 22 prorated
Hagg, 9, 22 prorated
Even MacDonald had 17 and 20 the previous two years.
At ES there isn't a huge scoring gap between our defensemen.

Ghost and Sanheim are the best at skating the puck out of the D-zone, Provorov is up and down but just turned 22 so he can improve, Myers should also be good at this.

This suggests that Ghosts' primary value, much like Streit, is in his ability to QB the PP, which seems to have evaporated this season but that is probably a bit of a fluke. However, if the 5 forward PP is viable, a PP QB becomes less valuable to this team.

Stop with the rampant dishonesty. Stop cherrypicking stats to falsely diminish Ghost's value.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Nothing new I don't think. Simmer linked to a few teams, the most sensible being TO and Nashville.

I think Gudas was also mentioned to TO but that might have been started on the main board trade thread.

Reactions: kelmitchell

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Since I've seen the name a few times, what's the deal with Fabbro? What's his project to and what's his style? I see his PPG has risen each year at BU which is nice to see, any comparables?

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Fabbro tops a lot of our lists for Simmer returns. Doubt Dallas wants Simmer, but they have Robertson who's intriguing.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Since I've seen the name a few times, what's the deal with Fabbro? What's his project to and what's his style? I see his PPG has risen each year at BU which is nice to see, any comparables?

Good in all zones. Not projected as a top pairing or PP stud. At least as far as I've heard.

Someone with more knowledge can expand.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Top tier:
Doughty (29), EK (28), Subban (29), Hedman (28), Suter (34), Pietrangelo (29), Weber (33), Giordano (35), Josi (28), Letang (31), Burns (33), Klingberg (26), Seth Jones (24)

Peers to Ghost and Provorov:
Hamilton (25)
Slavin (24)
Krug (27)
Werenski (21)
Trouba (24)
Parayko (25)
Lindholm (25)
McAvoy (21)
Sergachev (20)
Hanifin (22)

There are a few veterans that are in a similar class, scorers like OEK who are defensively suspect, solid but not special like McDonough, and fading veterans like Keith.

One thing that stands out is age, the top defensemen seem to be generally in the 26-34 year old range.
I think because it requires a combination of physical maturity and experience to be the anchor for a defense, to play 25 minutes a night effectively at both ends of the ice.

I think both Sanheim and Myers will make the second tier in a year or two, but whether any of the four will take the next step to become a top tier defenseman remains to be seen.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
full

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Unfortunately, Robertson isn’t very fast, so I’d have other preferences in a Simmonds trade.

True, his first step isn't explosive. Sure scores goals well, quick release, accurate, has good size along with good hockey sense. I imagine his skating can be coached up but he'll never be a burner.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We got a winner here posters. Read carefully and learn from it LOL. You trade from strengh and ghost Isnt playing bad hes just what he is now a smaller slower player that all forecheckers are going after and he has a tough time and Sanheim,Provy and Myers along with the dman we get back will make us way better . Playoffs is what matters and win or lose we have alot of high priced no shows and that isnt changing.
Flyers need a veteran RHD, if they want more at that position than what they have in Gudas. They also could really use some speed on wing with a shot. A veteran goalie would be nice but not imperative at this time; summer FAs could resolve that problem. Hart and anyone on the roster for the rest of the season would be fine.
I would have to believe that a combination of Simmonds, Raffl, Ghost and Voracek would bring back what they are looking for. It probably would take a combination of trades to get the Flyers what they need to obtain better balance in their roster. Who goes along with whom for what is anyone's guess but I believe that Fletcher will remaking some major moves.

Reactions: hatcher
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am not worried about the lack of trades from Fletcher. The entire league is in a holding pattern it seems. I think we start to see some action early next month. Lots of GMs still getting a feel for the market and many teams at the edge of a playoff spot deciding if they are buyers or not.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Ghost...even with this bad year, is still 31st in PP points for Dmen. Werenksi has 1 more point. Josi has 1 more point. Seth Jones has 3 LESS.

When it comes to PP points, I am confident that Ghost will rebound. The 5 F trial will end at some point. Hell, should end now with the trade of Simmonds.

I actually like the 5F setup. Don’t think it’s a fit when Gostisbehere is one of the D options

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
True, his first step isn't explosive. Sure scores goals well, quick release, accurate, has good size along with good hockey sense. I imagine his skating can be coached up but he'll never be a burner.
I actually like Robertston and was hoping he'd fall to the Flyers in the 2nd round that year (ultimately they traded up for Ratcliffe, and Robertson went before their original pick). If they could get him for Simmonds it would be a good deal; I don't mean to imply it wouldn't be. However, there are a few young players who might be attainable who I'd take over Robertson due to his lack of acceleration and the Flyers' need for speed.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Was talking with a Penguin fan last night about the PO series last spring. He said that the Pens knew that they could pretty much count on being able to enter the offensive zone every time on Ghost's side of the ice and that was part of their offensive plan. Pass it by him because his stick D is not that good; run over him because of his size and out grind him in the corners and in front of the net. Its hard to argue against that strategy.
Since that is the case and some other teams have followed that tactic with success, if Ghost is going to be effective on defense he needs to have a strong physical partner with him like Morin or Myers can be. Neither Provorov or Sanheim are physical enough to fill the bill. For some reason, so far, Ghost and Gudas hasn't worked.
Its not that Ghost is a bad player, he isn't an has serious offensive skills, but his game also has serious flaws that need work and the proper partner. With all of the defensemen that are coming through their system, IDK if the Flyers have the time and resources to work that one through. Probably better to move him on to another team that thinks that they have the answers.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Was talking with a Penguin fan last night about the PO series last spring. He said that the Pens knew that they could pretty much count on being able to enter the offensive zone every time on Ghost's side of the ice and that was part of their offensive plan. Pass it by him because his stick D is not that good; run over him because of his size and out grind him in the corners and in front of the net. Its hard to argue against that strategy.
Since that is the case and some other teams have followed that tactic with success, if Ghost is going to be effective on defense he needs to have a strong physical partner with him like Morin or Myers can be. Neither Provorov or Sanheim are physical enough to fill the bill. For some reason, so far, Ghost and Gudas hasn't worked.
Its not that Ghost is a bad player, he isn't an has serious offensive skills, but his game also has serious flaws that need work and the proper partner. With all of the defensemen that are coming through their system, IDK if the Flyers have the time and resources to work that one through. Probably better to move him on to another team that thinks that they have the answers.
Ghost is a ghost when it matters The most.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I actually like Robertston and was hoping he'd fall to the Flyers in the 2nd round that year (ultimately they traded up for Ratcliffe, and Robertson went before their original pick). If they could get him for Simmonds it would be a good deal; I don't mean to imply it wouldn't be. However, there are a few young players who might be attainable who I'd take over Robertson due to his lack of acceleration and the Flyers' need for speed.

Adding team speed would be nice. Boston could use Simmer, wonder if they'd move Vaakanainen.

Fabbro has been mentioned, Kapanen and Sandin not available. I'd still like Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad