Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Was talking with a Penguin fan last night about the PO series last spring. He said that the Pens knew that they could pretty much count on being able to enter the offensive zone every time on Ghost's side of the ice and that was part of their offensive plan. Pass it by him because his stick D is not that good; run over him because of his size and out grind him in the corners and in front of the net. Its hard to argue against that strategy.
Since that is the case and some other teams have followed that tactic with success, if Ghost is going to be effective on defense he needs to have a strong physical partner with him like Morin or Myers can be. Neither Provorov or Sanheim are physical enough to fill the bill. For some reason, so far, Ghost and Gudas hasn't worked.
Its not that Ghost is a bad player, he isn't an has serious offensive skills, but his game also has serious flaws that need work and the proper partner. With all of the defensemen that are coming through their system, IDK if the Flyers have the time and resources to work that one through. Probably better to move him on to another team that thinks that they have the answers.
This is odd considering he has great entry stats. Unless it was a dump and grind him. Cause he is actually good at controlled entries and has a great stick. He is limited in size and strength.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Was talking with a Penguin fan last night about the PO series last spring. He said that the Pens knew that they could pretty much count on being able to enter the offensive zone every time on Ghost's side of the ice and that was part of their offensive plan. Pass it by him because his stick D is not that good; run over him because of his size and out grind him in the corners and in front of the net. Its hard to argue against that strategy.
Since that is the case and some other teams have followed that tactic with success, if Ghost is going to be effective on defense he needs to have a strong physical partner with him like Morin or Myers can be. Neither Provorov or Sanheim are physical enough to fill the bill. For some reason, so far, Ghost and Gudas hasn't worked.
Its not that Ghost is a bad player, he isn't an has serious offensive skills, but his game also has serious flaws that need work and the proper partner. With all of the defensemen that are coming through their system, IDK if the Flyers have the time and resources to work that one through. Probably better to move him on to another team that thinks that they have the answers.
Ghost's stick D IS good though. So that's wrong. And we WILL be able to pair him with bigger Dmen if we choose.

So again, who do you trade him to and what is the return? Trading your 1st or 2nd best Dman on a great contract is something just don't do. Maybe we should wait until Myers and Sanheim prove better than him long term and THEN he becomes somes an asset to think about moving.

And with expansion coming, we should be keeping all these D in case one is lost which it looks like a very good bet.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The words of a random Pens fan means nothing.

"The Flyers knew they could beat the Penguins in 2012 when they realized that Crosby sucked at scoring" Uh oh, better trade Crosby then. :laugh:

And if your evaluation involves the thought that moving him to another team helps this team, your evaluations are equally as useless.

It's also amusing that you continue to ignore how good Provorov-Ghost was and act like the pair doesn't work. All you're doing is embarrassing yourself.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No one knows what the possible return on Ghost would be. All we can do is speculate. IMO, Ghost and Simmonds for Nylander should be a fair trade but others would disagree.
As for Ghost being the second best defenseman on the roster, I'm not so sure about that. Sanheim'splay has passed him this season and frankly Gudas has played better overall hockey than him as well. That's why he's third pair right now. With Morin and Myers about to come up, if they play as expected, Ghost would be pushed further down the pecking order.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No one knows what the possible return on Ghost would be. All we can do is speculate. IMO, Ghost and Simmonds for Nylander should be a fair trade but others would disagree.
As for Ghost being the second best defenseman on the roster, I'm not so sure about that. Sanheim'splay has passed him this season and frankly Gudas has played better overall hockey than him as well. That's why he's third pair right now. With Morin and Myers about to come up, if they play as expected, Ghost would be pushed further down the pecking order.
Wrong. Try again.

Do you even watch hockey?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Eyeing the team's stats from the playoffs, Ghost looks like he fared pretty well since he was apparently so heavily targeted. His PDO is lowest among the team, so he didn't have very good luck though.
The Penguins got out their old planning book on how to use their big forwards to beat up Timonen and used it again on the Flyers since they have been weak on a forecheck for years. First they worked over Ghost and then beat on Provorov. Actually Ghost and Provorov did better than they should have under the circumstances. They had the Penguins on the ropes until Provorov's shoulder gave out on him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Penguins got out their old planning book on how to use their big forwards to beat up Timonen and used it again on the Flyers since they have been weak on a forecheck for years. First they worked over Ghost and then beat on Provorov. Actually Ghost and Provorov did better than they should have under the circumstances. They had the Penguins on the ropes until Provorov's shoulder gave out on him.

This is where a good coach opens up the system and emphasizes fast puck movement to prevent the dmen from getting pounded.

Hakstol stayed as conservative as possible, played dmen who couldn't move the puck and chases horrible matchups, and thus got our team pinned in our own end nonstop. It's worth asking how much is a Ghost/Provorov problem and how much was incompetent coaching failing to make a single adjustment to what the Pens were trying. Hakstol never, ever, ever had an answer for Sullivan. His team always got absolutely dummied to a degree no other team did.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
7 points in 21 games Nylander? No, he stinks. #tradeghostlogic

Eyeing the team's stats from the playoffs, Ghost looks like he fared pretty well since he was apparently so heavily targeted. His PDO is lowest among the team, so he didn't have very good luck though.

They targeted Giroux too. Smart. Weakest link and all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said, the people suggesting a Ghost trade continue to embarrass themselves by not coming up with one single valid reason to do it. Everything they attempt gets shot down so quickly.

Really proves how bad of an idea it is and how biased they are.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
After Simmonds gets dealt to Winterpeg for Roslovic, can the Flyers get to the business of hiring a good coach and staff? And I feel for Gostisbehere and people wanting him to be traded. You don't trade 60 point defensemen. It's not his fault Hakstol was a moron and Murphy knew nothing about coaching defensemen. I think with all things considered, Ghost has done a great job trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Like I said, the people suggesting a Ghost trade continue to embarrass themselves by not coming up with one single valid reason to do it. Everything they attempt gets shot down so quickly.

Really proves how bad of an idea it is and how biased they are.

It also proves that Ghost should not be mentioned in the Trade Deadline thread any longer...dear lord...make it stop!

Reactions: rajaampat

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd still be interested in a trade revolving around Ghost and Nylander, but I don't think a player like Ghost is at the top of Toronto's needs, and if Toronto wanted to trade Nylander they'd have done it during the holdout.

My realistic focus for a Ghost trade would be to Edmonton for Nugent Hopkins.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It also proves that Ghost should not be mentioned in the Trade Deadline thread any longer...dear lord...make it stop!
Nobody is forced to read the thread and there’s no deadline news anyway.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the idiots making up lies and saying stupid shit. They deserve to be corrected and embarrassed.

Reactions: Tripod

ajw12

Dec 7, 2018
Central PA
I'd still be interested in a trade revolving around Ghost and Nylander, but I don't think a player like Ghost is at the top of Toronto's needs, and if Toronto wanted to trade Nylander they'd have done it during the holdout.

Just Nugent Hopkins? Like 1 for 1?

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Nobody is forced to read the thread and there’s no deadline news anyway.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the idiots making up lies and saying stupid ****. They deserve to be corrected and embarrassed.
Ok, continue to beat the dead horse and I will ignore it (wasn't blaming you if that's what you thought??)....or move it to another thread and everyone can continue over there?
This topic wont end and it doesn't look like either side will ever change their mind. It's pointless. Ghost is completely underrated by a large amount of people and it's sickening. Provy was garbage in that series and has been the majority of the year...he doesn't get beat down like this. It doesn't make any sense! The goaltending was absolute shit as well.

Anyway, is Simmonds to Edmonton still a thing or has that ship sailed?

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I've said I'd consider trading Ghost for a first pairing defenseman, also; I just think finding a trade partner for that type of swap might be more difficult. But I'd swap him for Dougie Hamilton, and, who knows, maybe Carolina would consider it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I've said I'd consider trading Ghost for a first pairing defenseman, also; I just think finding a trade partner for that type of swap might be more difficult. But I'd swap him for Dougie Hamilton, and, who knows, maybe Carolina would consider it.
You keep making worse and worse proposals.

Both RNH and Hamilton have contracts that end the expansion summer. So do that, and you lose them AND lose someone in expansion.

I know you are trying to find deals that make sense, but you are failing. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, continue to beat the dead horse and I will ignore it (wasn't blaming you if that's what you thought??)....or move it to another thread and everyone can continue over there?
This topic wont end and it doesn't look like either side will ever change their mind. It's pointless. Ghost is completely underrated by a large amount of people and it's sickening. Provy was garbage in that series and has been the majority of the year...he doesn't get beat down like this. It doesn't make any sense! The goaltending was absolute **** as well.

Anyway, is Simmonds to Edmonton still a thing or has that ship sailed?
I wish it would stop too, but the people defending Ghost are just a reaction to the people saying the stupid shit.

Like you said, he’s underrated and there’s ridiculous double standards by the people who constantly try to bash him. It’s just pure bias and they don’t care about the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajw12

Dec 7, 2018
Central PA
Sure. Seems fair.

For me a 1 for 1 for RNH just doesn’t make sense at all for the Flyers.

For starters you have Frost hopefully coming up next year. That, along with the progression of Patrick, means to me that they don’t need to go out of their way to trade a defenseman, whose career high in points is higher than the center you want to trade for.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You keep making worse and worse proposals.

Both RNH and Hamilton have contracts that end the expansion summer. So do that, and you lose them AND lose someone in expansion.

I know you are trying to find deals that make sense, but you are failing. Maybe there is a reason for that.

So what? You can't sign players to extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad