Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem right now is there are no Flyer rumours, everything seems to be on hold until after the Allstar break. I figure things will heat up by the end of the first week in February, but that's two weeks away.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
It's being dismissed because you have yet to come up with a valid argument showing how trading Ghost, makes the Flyers better.

If the deal for a legit NHL Vet top-pairing d-man includes Gostisbehere then it makes the Flyers better. Without a doubt. The Flyers have a strength of young d-men. But they cannot expect compete under the hope that playing 5-6 young d-men at the same time will allow them to compete as legit NHL Cup contenders. They need a legit #1 d-man to help slot the d-men correctly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If the deal for a legit NHL Vet top-pairing d-man includes Gostisbehere then it makes the Flyers better. Without a doubt. The Flyers have a strength of young d-men. But they cannot expect compete under the hope that playing 5-6 young d-men at the same time will allow them to compete as legit NHL Cup contenders. They need a legit #1 d-man to help slot the d-men correctly.
And tell me who this Vet top pairing Dman is. Would love to have them. But no one has come up with a deal that does that. I personally, am not married to keeping Ghost if it makes us better. But I also have not seen anyone show how trading Ghost makes us better with an attached name to the deal.

Ghost will be 26 next year and in his 5th year. When does he get vet status?

And if playing all these young guys was not the plan, then why the hell did we just sit and wait for them all to develop?

And note, I HAVE proposed deals to add a Dman within the past few weeks. So I am not tied to any one plan or certain players. But I just don't agree with the "trade Ghost and we will be better" group without seeing what the actual deal is. It's easy to say "trade Ghost for an upgrade". Show it on here who we are getting. Who is this person? I personally have said a guy like Pesce would help us...and I believe that. I also said that going after Pietrangelo if you knew he would re-sign would be something to explore. But I also think we should be upgrading our WORST Dmen well before we upgrade guys who can play to elite levels. Because that will make us even better.

So who do you go after, and for what? Let's see what you got.

Reactions: hatcher

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I don’t disagree, which is why it’s a matter of preference — which hole is more important to address; which hole can be mitigated easier with nhl-ready prospects, etc.

I get your point of view but think it's a lot harder to find 50+ dmen then 50+ point wingers

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I get your point of view but think it's a lot harder to find 50+ dmen then 50+ point wingers
I really don’t want to get repetitive, but exchanging Ghost for any 50 point winger was not my personal suggestion; perhaps it was someone else’s. My preference was for a center, but most importantly someone with a high speed/skill combo; points-wise I’d want a forward capable of hitting 30+ goals and/or 70 pts. Earlier in the season I suggested Nylander, if you want a general idea.

Reactions: Peter Man

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The problem right now is there are no Flyer rumours, everything seems to be on hold until after the Allstar break. I figure things will heat up by the end of the first week in February, but that's two weeks away.
That's complete BS Dead , we are trying to start rumors on here all the time .

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Last year 19 defensemen had 50+ points, 99 forwards had 50+ points.
giphy.gif

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I really don’t want to get repetitive, but exchanging Ghost for any 50 point winger was not my personal suggestion; perhaps it was someone else’s. My preference was for a center, but most importantly someone with a high speed/skill combo; points-wise I’d want a forward capable of hitting 30+ goals and/or 70 pts. Earlier in the season I suggested Nylander, if you want a general idea.

My mistake, meant to say 50+ point forward

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But I also think we should be upgrading our WORST Dmen well before we upgrade guys who can play to elite levels. Because that will make us even better.

Upgrading the worst defensemen is a done deal.
When you add Myers and Morin this spring, Hagg competes with Morin and and Friedman for the last spot and there's no room for MacDonald and Folin.
So next year the bottom is a moot point.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
When you add Myers and Morin this spring, Hagg competes with Morin and and Friedman for the last spot and there's no room for MacDonald and Folin.

That's how it's looking but what about a Myers injury? Or Morin again? Until they are actually here we have to treat the D core as flawed. A big no to trading ANY of Ghost/Provy/Sanheim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

How many ES points do you need from a defenseman?
23 D-men had 25 or more ES points last year. The year before 22.

Ghost has had 24, 16, 32, 21 prorated - 26 average excluding his injury season
Provorov, 25, 36, 29 prorated - 30 average
Gudas, 14, 22, 15, 22 prorated - 18 average
Sanheim 10, 22 prorated
Hagg, 9, 22 prorated
Even MacDonald had 17 and 20 the previous two years.
At ES there isn't a huge scoring gap between our defensemen.

Ghost and Sanheim are the best at skating the puck out of the D-zone, Provorov is up and down but just turned 22 so he can improve, Myers should also be good at this.

This suggests that Ghosts' primary value, much like Streit, is in his ability to QB the PP, which seems to have evaporated this season but that is probably a bit of a fluke. However, if the 5 forward PP is viable, a PP QB becomes less valuable to this team.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
All we need is Provorov to play like a #1 defenseman again. Ghost is always going to be #2. We don't need him to be the anchor.
Then we have Sanheim developing as our #3.

If all 3 play to their potential, we won't really need to trade for another defenseman.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We still don't know what Morin or Myers will be at the level. Trading away a higher end D just makes no sense at all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All we need is Provorov to play like a #1 defenseman again. Ghost is always going to be #2. We don't need him to be the anchor.
Then we have Sanheim developing as our #3.

If all 3 play to their potential, we won't really need to trade for another defenseman.
Ghost was better than Provorov last year.

He’s not the #2, unless you strictly judge by the TOI determined by incompetent coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad