Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
People thought Giroux was finished as an elite player because his points had declined significantly for 3 straight seasons (from 86 to 73 to 67 to 58); he had turned 29 years old; wasn't skating well at all; and was outscored by Jay Beagle at ES. His gigantic bounceback at age 29/30 to put up 100 points was the type of bounceback that rarely occurs.

Those who are in favor of fielding offers for Gostisbehere aren't contending that he's an aging former star with declining production over a 3 year span as was the argument with Giroux. They are simply saying that Ghost has a lot of trade value; the team has holes that need to be addressed; and maybe Ghost is better used to fix other areas of the team, especially because the team is struggling in the areas Ghost is supposed to be an asset. Nobody is saying Ghost is useless or to trade him at any cost. Some are just saying it's worth exploring his trade value and that they'd be willing to pull the trigger in the right deal.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
People thought Giroux was finished as an elite player because his points had declined significantly for 3 straight seasons (from 86 to 73 to 67 to 58); he had turned 29 years old; wasn't skating well at all; and was outscored by Jay Beagle at ES. His gigantic bounceback at age 29/30 to put up 100 points was the type of bounceback that rarely occurs.

Those who are in favor of fielding offers for Gostisbehere aren't contending that he's an aging former star with declining production over a 3 year span as was the argument with Giroux. They are simply saying that Ghost has a lot of trade value; the team has holes that need to be addressed; and maybe Ghost is better used to fix other areas of the team, especially because the team is struggling in the areas Ghost is supposed to be an asset. Nobody is saying Ghost is useless or to trade him at any cost. Some are just saying it's worth exploring his trade value and that they'd be willing to pull the trigger in the right deal.
That is completely fair that he has value and if we get an offer for him we can't refuse we should take it. People bringing up how our PP sucks (his fault) and that since he had a poor 6 game playoff he needs to go, is ridiculous. If we can all just agree on this let's stop the bickering and leave this poor thread alone lol.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
You anti-Ghost mouth breathers are too much :laugh:

This can only be settled in some kind of Bloodsport tournament. Time to channel my inner Bolo Yeung and kick some goofy contrarian ass :yo:

IMG_0327.GIF

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying then I apologize but to me it seems like you’re trying to say this season is his norm.
The fact that they're only talking about this season makes it pretty clear what they're suggesting.

If they weren't suggesting that this was more than a fluke then they wouldn't want to get rid of him... unless it's just that they have an irrational hatred of him and don't care about his play.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying then I apologize but to me it seems like you’re trying to say this season is his norm.
Not at all. I'm saying he's a talented player, but inconsistent. I've said his turnovers aggravate the hell out of me and when he's not producing the mistakes are harder to tolerate. I'm saying that trading him won't be devastating to the team, considering they are already 29/31 in the standings and 29/31 in PP% with him in the lineup. But, most importantly, I'm saying he has one of the highest trade values on a struggling, flawed team with multiple holes, and that maybe he's best used to get a different type of high value player who will fill a different need in the lineup.

That's vastly different than saying that Ghost will never have a good season again. This is about using an asset to change a bad team.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh well.

Luckily for us, this stupidity doesn't matter.

If shrieking casual fans made any difference then we'd have traded Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Gostisbehere, and literally every other good player we've ever had, long ago.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Ghost would be very difficult to replace, factoring in his age, dynamic play and his outstanding contract. That's where I'm seeing no sensible plan to replace him.

HYPOTHETICALLY we trade him for Nylander and yes, our top 9 improves. We add skill and speed. We also have a massive hole on the blue line. How is Ghost replaced? Who are we acquiring and with what assets?

Meanwhile, we keep Ghost and in the offseason we can go hard at Panarin/Stone/Duchene/Skinner..

How is that not more sensible?

Reactions: ajw12 and Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who is "they?"
I'm a "me."

What's funny is the kneejerk reaction.
The Hive's favorite players have no weaknesses and can do no wrong.
But the players who suck can somehow be traded for real assets b/c other GMs are idiots. :huh:

Fletcher is not going to move Ghost, Voracek or JVR at the TDL unless he's made an offer he can't refuse, because players with term are more complex deals that are rarely made at the TDL. But come June, he's almost certain to shake up this team, a new GM has no reason to stay pat with a core that couldn't get the job done with 4 coaches over 8 years. He's going to reshape the roster, like it or not.

Simmonds, Raffl, Folin are almost certainly gone at the TDL.
MacDonald, Weise a question of retained money, and maybe a sweetener with MacDonald.
Laughton, Gudas, Hagg depends on what is offered.
Elliott, Neuvirth, Stolarz, have to show they're healthy to be moved.

Last season;
3 trades in January, only one for a draft pick
4 trades Feb 1-12,
3 trades, Feb 13-18,
33 trades, Feb 19-26
2016-17:
7 trades in January
3 trades Feb 1-14
4 trades Feb 15-21
35 trades Feb 23 - March 1

So it seems we're going to have to wait until around February 18-19 before the action starts.

Reactions: The Palm Isle

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ghost would be very difficult to replace, factoring in his age, dynamic play and his outstanding contract. That's where I'm seeing no sensible plan to replace him.

HYPOTHETICALLY we trade him for Nylander and yes, our top 9 improves. We add skill and speed. We also have a massive hole on the blue line. How is Ghost replaced? Who are we acquiring and with what assets?

Meanwhile, we keep Ghost and in the offseason we can go hard at Panarin/Stone/Duchene/Skinner..

How is that not more sensible?

OK -- let's say they do trade Ghost for Nylander or Nugent-Hopkins, for example. I don't think this creates nearly the massive hole on the blue line that you seem to believe it does. As I said before, the Flyers have Myers ready to step into the NHL lineup, with Morin and Friedman right there, as well. Sure, they still need a first pairing defenseman, but I think they need that even with Ghost on the roster. As for the PP, I see no reason the #1 unit can't go with 5 forwards, or use Sanheim at the point; what's the worst thing that can happen, they drop from 29th to 31st in PP%?

I don't like banking on being able to sign Panarin, Stone, Duchene, or Skinner as a UFA in the offseason. Too much of a chance you end up with none of them. But, by the same token, they could simply focus on Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, and Jake Gardiner as UFAs if they want to add a defenseman in the offseason.

Reactions: renberg

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
So, people suggested a few scenarios where they would consider trading Ghost and apparently people became offended.
I assume there was offence because it seemed to become a snarkfest and condemnations of other people's intelligence.
I don't find any of it necessary or enlightening. Maybe that makes me a heretic too, who knows, who cares, most of this is drivel.

Personally, I don't want to trade Ghost.
I want to see the promised defensive group finally play together
Provorov/ Ghost / Sanheim/Myers/Morin/Hagg
If this group doesn't at least play the final 10 games together then I consider it to be wasteful.

Now, under the right circumstance I would trade Ghost. Does that mean I think he sucks? no Does that mean I want to trade him? Does that mean I think they'd be better off keeping him? yes But who knows what the future holds.
The player you don't want to trade today often becomes expendable in a season or two.
I can't predict the future. I know some other can but I don't possess that gift.

I really don't understand why certain people can't discuss things in a civil manner when someone suggests something that goes against their paradigm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad