Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He’s not going to be cheap. He’s been taking less to bridge himself UFA all along.
Andnor should he. Trouba is a solid player, good skater, logs a ton of minutes, blocks shots, can play on special teams, he does everything.
If we signed him for equivalent of amacs deal that would be 6.2 million in today's nhl.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The PP struggles have a lot of blame to go around. It would be a big mistake to blame Ghost and use those stats as an argument against him.

In a year that's gone disastrously apart from Hart's emergence, we really shouldn't isolate play this year as the reasoning.

Team has played better lately but they need a reset.

1. New coach, staff and philosophy.
2. Roster purge with Simmer, Torgo and Farmer at minimum should be gone.
3. Adding a few FA's.
4. Calling up youth.
5. Good draft to restock.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Perhaps, and obviously if the right offer was there you would take it. I absolutely wouldn't call Ghost untouchable, but I'm definitely not looking to trade him.

Last offseason, this conversation would have been absolutely ridiculous. With this gong show of a season I just don't know how you disregard the prior 3 seasons and don't think Ghost is a critical piece to this team.
Ghost certainly is a critical piece of this team, & his poor season is among multiple significant reasons this team is one point out of last place in the *entire league.* This is also the 2nd out of his 4 NHL seasons that have been subpar, not the only one. He was among my favorite Flyers ever his rookie season, so I can understand the attachment some have, but I don’t think he’s being judged with an objective lens by many. I mean, you have people claiming that those who support trading Ghost are calling him “useless,” which is an utter misrepresentation.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Is it possible that both extremes are kind of wrong?

Ghost is a unique and fantastic offensive weapon on the blueline whose defense is underrated but hardly elite. He has a terrific contract and could be a big piece going forward. That's all absolutely true. But it doesn't mean he's an absolute necessity and couldn't be moved in a deal that improved the team.

For all the worries about the defense, it's probably in better shape going forward than most around the league, even if the cupboard isn't as stocked as it once was. It isn't that they're lacking good young defensemen, they have more of those than probably 80% of the league. It's that they're lacking veterans who don't suck. They need to get back to drafting blue liners, but should also be looking to acquire at least one actual good experienced defender. Scrape out the duds (Folin/MacDonald) move one or both of Gudas and Hagg, let Morin and Myers graduate, go find Provorov a real veteran partner.

I wouldn't have any interest at all in trading Ghost for a forward, because I don't think that's a position of need. But as excellent as he is, I also think he's probably less essential than some believe, despite his contract and scoring potential. He should be here for a long time unless you can find some sort of steal on a top pairing defender.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Waiting on dem rumors any day now..
That’s what I’m saying. You have to scroll through pages and pages of Ghost talk looking for one rumor tweet. But there is nothing. I can’t imagine that Fletch and Homer are keeping things so quiet, but maybe there is some carryover from hextall. There does seem to be conflicting reports about Simmonds. Hopefully something is going on.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gonna go ahead and post this again so everyone keeps in mind how "objective" he's been all year in regards to Ghost. Seeing what he wants to see, not reality. The agenda couldn't be more clear.

dcb7ef3f989f8b21714448525a93971f.png

And lets toss this one in too, to further destroy any remains of credibility

6f3fea9b480571d73f519f47cedbcade.png

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Exactly. Even the pro trade Ghost supports must see the logic in this.

Let's say we trade Simmonds + for Fabbro.
We sign Panarin or Stone.
We could conceivably get Hughes or Kakko or another top forward prospect.
We'll be adding Frost.

Do people still want Ghost traded? If so, why now? Shouldn't we wait to see if Myers is top 4 D like we assume, Provy and Sanheim make forward strides and/or we add a Fabbro.

Edit - I keep typing Fabbri :laugh: my bad.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Don't say totally moronic things and you won't get insulted.
Thank you for submitting your application for the role of Official Arbiter of what is & is not “moronic.” We have received an unusually high volume of applications for this position, however, & cannot rely on self appointment. Please re-submit with a resume & list of professional references.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
they are so many centers on this team, fletch has to figure out how to get this team balanced with actual left wingers and right wingers and getting right handed defensemen, if he can do that, this team has a good chance of competing next year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There’s a reason one of the oldest adages in sports management is “never get too attached to a player.” Sports message boards are an excellent illustration of loss of perspective due to player attachment.

Reactions: fat

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There’s a reason one of the oldest adages in sports management is “never get too attached to a player.” Sports message boards are an excellent illustration of loss of perspective due to player attachment.

Like when all those people thought Couturier could be more than the 3C he was at age 20. If only they weren't so attached they would have realized he was a waste of the 8th pick in the draft years ago.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Like when all those people thought Couturier could be more than the 3C he was at age 20. If only they weren't so attached they would have realized he was a waste of the 8th pick in the draft years ago.
Attachment becomes a problem when you close your eyes & ears & refuse to consider differing perspectives as anything but moronic. There are plenty of cases that don’t turn out in favor of attachment. See, for example, some of the Kings’ & Blackhawks contracts in recent years.

I’m simply saying don’t be so quick to dismiss input you may not like to hear.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just look how easy it is to add wingers...vs Dmen.
Then add in that Ghost has proven he can play the right side at an elite level.
Then add in his contract
Then add in that our team is STILL playing AMac and Hagg every game
And as of now, no other Flyers Dman has proven to be good at the NHL level on the PP

It's mind blowing that people want to trade Ghost for a freakin winger.

Since he entered the league for Dmen:

15th in league for points
15th in league for PPG
36th in league in ES points
5th in league in PP points

Easy question...do we have anyone from within that can step in and do this now? Easy answer, no. Until then, keep him and upgrade the WORST Dmen in the lineup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad