Speculation: Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good job @Striiker defending Ghost (shout out to Madrigal too).

Striiker takes care of all the point/counter points/arguments. All I have to do is "like". :laugh:

"I'm going to bring up..nope Striiker already did"..."Well, his contract is..never mind he pointed that out too."

Luckily their arguments are so incredibly predictable and weak that it only takes half a second to dunk on their ridiculous “logic” and it requires basically zero research. Plus, most of it is stuff I’ve already said or looked up, so I just need to repeat for the millionth time.

But feel free to tag in once in a while anyway. :laugh: Nothing like a good pile on!

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Luckily their arguments are so incredibly predictable and weak that it only takes half a second to dunk on their ridiculous “logic” and it requires basically zero research. Plus, most of it is stuff I’ve already said or looked up, so I just need to repeat for the millionth time.

But feel free to tag in once in a while anyway. :laugh: Nothing like a good pile on!

You bet. After your flurry of body-blows I'll come off the top rope!

IMG_0325.GIF

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

I think Hagg is the most likely D to get traded. If you are adding Myers and Morin in a few weeks someone has to go and Morin can easily take his place and maybe we can get something useful for Hagg. I dont think Ghost is untouchable but seems like poor asset management to sell low on a Dman who the prior year had 65 points. To be fair, I have seen him live a lot and I think he is either injured or has some other off the ice issue because he really hasnt played well and to my eye isnt moving/anticipating like he did last year but looks more like he did when he was coming off that hip/abdominal surgery. I think the only way they move Ghost is the unlikely case of a godfather offer or they think his hip/knee or whatever is chronic.

I also would keep Gudas as the RHD vet although would certainly consider offers.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
What is our D without Ghost? Who runs the PP? Definitely feel like forwards, especially with what's in the pipeline, is way more set than our D.

"Graveyards are full of irreplaceable men"

30 other teams survive without Ghost. We're seeing him as more than he is.

That PP he runs, by the way, absolutely sucks.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
"Graveyards are full of irreplaceable men"

30 other teams survive without Ghost. We're seeing him as more than he is.

That PP he runs, by the way, absolutely sucks.
Fletcher does too and it will get taken care of soon. I hope we get a real good dman back to play with Provy properly. Playoffs are a whole other animal and our top players except coots last year do nothing and ghost isnt made for playoffs. Pens also played the caps so much better it looked like they pissed games away against us.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Hagg is the most likely D to get traded. If you are adding Myers and Morin in a few weeks someone has to go and Morin can easily take his place and maybe we can get something useful for Hagg. I dont think Ghost is untouchable but seems like poor asset management to sell low on a Dman who the prior year had 65 points. To be fair, I have seen him live a lot and I think he is either injured or has some other off the ice issue because he really hasnt played well and to my eye isnt moving/anticipating like he did last year but looks more like he did when he was coming off that hip/abdominal surgery. I think the only way they move Ghost is the unlikely case of a godfather offer or they think his hip/knee or whatever is chronic.

I also would keep Gudas as the RHD vet although would certainly consider offers.
Hagg absolutely should be the guy to be traded, for so many reasons, but I'm not going to get my hopes up on that one.

Unfortunately it seems like he's one of those terrible players that GM's just can't see through. He's terrible on the ice, his value will never be higher, there's plenty of teams desperate for D help, and yet I fear Hagg isn't even being shopped around.

And yeah, Ghost shouldn't go anywhere and I'd hold on to Gudas too.

I've posted it many times now, but my dream lineup for later this year is:

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If the Flyers could just swap Couturier for Dougie Hamilton, we wouldn't even need Ghost. :sarcasm:

I'd love to hear why you think we should take your player evaluations seriously. This gem about snobs seeing Couturier as being "more than he is" is not even two years old.

The snobby tone people take when defending this player is what's fascinating.

There is ample and growing evidence that he is nothing but a marginal middle six player.

He does look good in a spreadsheet, I'll grant you guys that.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are 29/31 in PP % with Ghost.

The Flyers are tied for 29/31 in the standings with Ghost.

And to anyone who isn’t relying on the well-known broken clock that is the NHL’s giveaway stats Ghost has been a turnover machine.

However, he also carries some of the highest trade value on this foundering team, & the team has significant holes elsewhere, in particular lacking dynamism in their top 2 scoring lines.

The team also has young defensemen ready or nearly ready to step into the NHL, such as Myers, Morin, & Friedman.

So if someone is of the opinion that Ghost is best used as a trade chip to address other problems with this flawed, nearly last-place team, maybe their opinion is justifiable even if others may not agree with it. Instead, we have differences of opinion attacked as failings of intellect rather than simply different perspectives.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Out of those guys, only Myers can be projected to be a top 4 D. Between with what we have in the pipeline and free agency this year, I have so much more confidence in our F group going forward than I would our D without Ghost.

Reactions: Striiker

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost's 33 PPP last season is the 2nd most by a dman this decade. Only Lidstrom, with 39 in 10-11, had more.

In his first three seasons, only Burns produced more PPP (four more), and he played in 28 more games. If you're trading Ghost, you better be damn sure that his struggles on the PP this season are going to be the new norm.

NHL.com - Stats

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Out of those guys, only Myers can be projected to be a top 4 D. Between with what we have in the pipeline and free agency this year, I have so much more confidence in our F group going forward than I would our D without Ghost.
I respectfully disagree, in that I think the Flyers’ need for a high skill/speed forward is bigger than you believe, & that Ghost’s importance to the D corps is less than you believe.

If the Flyers could get Fabbro in a Simmonds trade would that impact your thought process?

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
I respectfully disagree, in that I think the Flyers’ need for a high skill/speed forward is bigger than you believe, & that Ghost’s importance to the D corps is less than you believe.

If the Flyers could get Fabbro in a Simmonds trade would that impact your thought process?
Perhaps, and obviously if the right offer was there you would take it. I absolutely wouldn't call Ghost untouchable, but I'm definitely not looking to trade him.

Last offseason, this conversation would have been absolutely ridiculous. With this gong show of a season I just don't know how you disregard the prior 3 seasons and don't think Ghost is a critical piece to this team.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing says "offensive boost" like trading away one of your best offensive players and a top 10 offensive defensemen in the entire league.

How many times will stupid things be said before the Ghost haters realize how ridiculous they sound?

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad