GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm wondering if the Gostisbehere trade is a prelim to another trade. Something along the lines of Skjei to Edmonton for RNH and picks? I know that would not be popular on the boards, and I'm not advocating such a trade, just wondering will all the teams looking for D help, a Trade of Skjei for a Scorer could now be possible.
Only would have made sense if that was Chychryn coming in, not Ghost

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Q: re these graphics. They show a 3 year weighted average comment on bottom of the page.....wouldn't that not skew the numbers if a player is in decline?

Locking him in at $3 million gives flexibility to the top-9. But Domi is also a good choice. His Cap will fit with minor adjustments and I am guessing he will have little interest in the trade market. Like last year.
please no Domi....not influential

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Bertuzzi could still be an option as well with Detroit selling

My preference at this point would be Henrique > Bertuzzi > Garland > JVR > Domi > Monahan

Last edited:
Reactions: User13452

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm wondering if the Gostisbehere trade is a prelim to another trade. Something along the lines of Skjei to Edmonton for RNH and picks? I know that would not be popular on the boards, and I'm not advocating such a trade, just wondering will all the teams looking for D help, a Trade of Skjei for a Scorer could now be possible.

Plastic Straw Sustainability: Why Straws Are Problematic

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
2 days to go but right now I'm underwhelmed with the moves...I do like pool party though and to me, he is the longer term Fast replacement (plus a good addition to the Fin's sauna group which keeps Aho's spirit high and eventually re-signing with us).

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
When you're a top 2 team with $10m in cap space, more picks and prospects than spots available for them and are in a deadline where everyone around you is legitimately loading up you absolutely are going to get heat if you waste the opportunity to add a major impactful player.

Poolparty and Gost are not major impactful players.
This.

Before, I think many of us assumed they'd either (A) get at least one impactful player this deadline (based on our capspace, assets, and Dundon's comment about being aggressive), or (B) they'd make more minor rosters moves while also weaponizing the cap by getting decent-good draft picks in a deep draft.

They seem to be taking a third option: only get modest players, but both of them having too large of salaries for what they do/their performance, etc. and not getting retention on either UFA (which should be easier since neither has any term left).

Yes, we're not using assets on some of the overrated/meh players (so far at least), but given all of the context, this is shaping up to be a mediocre deadline at best. I think Poolparty will probably be a good Fast replacement after this season, but do he or Ghost make a significant improvement to the team? No, I don't think so. Maybe Poolparty bounces back as early as this season though, but a 15 goal scorer at best can only impact the team so much.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think the borg wanted Ghost all along to try and fix the pp.

They pretend they're interested in Chychuryn for an appropriate amount of time. Then say they just can't afford the brand new Mercedes do they have anything cheaper....the Arizona says they have a nice 2015 accord they'll give as a consolidation prize like it was Arizonas idea all along.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Our biggest need going into the deadline was someone who could provide a major scoring boost to our top 6. We are a team chock full of depth, we need the top end talent.

Our 2 pickups so far are depth role players. And with the cap space remaining it's unlikely we get anyone who fills that top need

It's just not a great return given we had $10m in cap space and the picks and prospects we have. We have enough quarters, need some dollars.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
It’s off putting to see them use almost half their space on Gostisbehere, even if he does fill a need and was cheap.

Anyway, Bertuzzi or Vrana at 50% (either brokered or all retained be DET) would fit. Bertuzzi, perhaps even as an extension candidate, would somewhat fit the mould of what they were after with Marchment.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've said before, but the moves can only improve your odds so much, especially with the NHL playoffs. I saw a couple of the models the other day that had the Devils improve their odds by like 2% after Meier was added. We're still an elite team and can compete with anyone. We'll see how far that takes us this year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This.

Before, I think many of us assumed they'd either (A) get at least one impactful player this deadline (based on our capspace, assets, and Dundon's comment about being aggressive), or (B) they'd make more minor rosters moves while also weaponizing the cap by getting decent-good draft picks in a deep draft.

They seem to be taking a third option: only get modest players, but both of them having too large of salaries for what they do/their performance, etc. and not getting retention on either UFA (which should be easier since neither has any term left).

Yes, we're not using assets on some of the overrated/meh players (so far at least), but given all of the context, this is shaping up to be a mediocre deadline at best. I think Poolparty will probably be a good Fast replacement after this season, but do he or Ghost make a significant improvement to the team? No, I don't think so. Maybe Poolparty bounces back as early as this season though, but a 15 goal scorer at best can only impact the team so much.
We have almost three million in space and no more roster spots open without sending someone through waivers. I bet we use it to help someone else. Vegas wants Quick, but may have a hard time due to cap space. We could be the broker for a pick.

Reactions: Sigurd

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They could also explore prospect trades - Drury for Hoglander maybe?

Stash Hoglander in the minors until the playoffs or send Coghlan down or to the moon for space…

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Let's get Toffoli or Lindholm from Calgary with a 3rd party retaining.

Upgrade bottom 6, pp, and goal scoring. Still terrified of goalie health.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
We have almost three million in space and no more roster spots open without sending someone through waivers. I bet we use it to help someone else. Vegas wants Quick, but may have a hard time due to cap space. We could be the broker for a pick.
If we're done with getting roster players, this is what we should do.

Not sure what all situations are left opportunity wise to retain, but it'd be nice to get draft picks to either use, or trade during the offseason.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They could also explore prospect trades - Drury for Hoglander maybe?
Where would be put him on the roster. I think with Ghost and Puljujarvi we are at 23 guys. Someone needs to move now. So the move needs to be more impactful to make up for whoever gets sent down or traded. I bet we we act as a broker with the rest of the money.

I like the idea of Domi as a safe guy that fits the system for more depth. I could also see Vrana given the reclamation project deadline we are having. But I think the broker idea is where we will end up.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Where would be put him on the roster. I think with Ghost and Puljujarvi we are at 23 guys. Someone needs to move now. So the move needs to be more impactful to make up for whoever gets sent down or traded. I bet we we act as a broker with the rest of the money.

I like the idea of Domi as a safe guy that fits the system for more depth. I could also see Vrana given the reclamation project deadline we are having. But I think the broker idea is where we will end up.
After 3pm on Friday the 23 man roster restrictions go away

Reactions: A Star is Burns

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Outside of the big goal, Domi was a disappointment last year. If we need another player, I'd suggest the Canes get a bruiser for the 4th line (who that is I don't know) in case a series gets very chippy.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Let's get Toffoli or Lindholm from Calgary with a 3rd party retaining.

Upgrade bottom 6, pp, and goal scoring. Still terrified of goalie health.
So far, our front office has been so underwhelming that I'm not even going to entertain either one at this point with what little cap space we have left.

Getting retention will cost more, and our front office has shown this deadline they don't think the players left are worth paying a higher cost for compared to the... depth guys we got for pennies.

Maybe they surprise us with one more move for the top 6 for a guy that actually is worth trading for though.

Reactions: Stickpucker

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Stash in minors til playoffs. He’s currently there anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad