GDT: Trade Deadline: Tampa won the Jeannot sweepstakes!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You know, I have to wonder, as someone else did in another thread, whether the team is playing this bad deliberately in an effort to get Hextall to act, or get fired…it just seems like the team has made no effort last night and Sullivan doesn’t seem too pissed off about it either…gamesmanship?
Sullivan should have just fired Hextall himself. After all, he seems to have more power/sway than Hextall, so I just assume he also has the power to let him go.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You know, I have to wonder, as someone else did in another thread, whether the team is playing this bad deliberately in an effort to get Hextall to act, or get fired…it just seems like the team has made no effort last night and Sullivan doesn’t seem too pissed off about it either…gamesmanship?
I don't think there's some real time Julius Caesar play unfolding before our guys. :laugh: I think the coach and GM are both inept and losing in embarassing fashion sucks a lot of fire out of an organization.

Reactions: Andy99

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Oh! I'm sorry you're a Nucks fan, I got it.

The Penguins I'm sure would love to dump all of Kap's deal. And JR does have former ties with him. I just doubt Vancouver is interested in that since he's been placed on waivers and is currently a freebie, for all intents and purposes.

Boeser has major warts and his contract is... mehhhhhh. But he has a cannon and this team has finishing problems. Schenn isn't my idea of a great player but due to his good play on a bad team along with his miniscule cap hit, he would likely fetch a 3rd or even 2nd this TDL from some team alone.

So yes I'd say you are underestimating the Canucks's assets a bit. Boeser with 25% retained and Schenn should be something like a low-ish 1st/equivalent or close to that. The Penguins could likely pay two seconds and a prospect not named Pickering. Perhaps a roster player but I have no idea what the Nucks would even want (were I them nothing on this shitberg of a team).
I appreciate the detailed response. Lots to learn here.

I went through some prospects list and you are not wrong. I wouldn't even say Pickering is all that interesting. (We need defenseman so I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge).

Joel Blomqvist seems interesting but yeah, not much to go on there.

Any chance we could get Joseph?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I'm not gonna read that but I wonder if poor Ron Hextall flew down to his house out of state, locked himself up there and is devastated to the point where Burke had to come down and console him to bring him back to the table. According to Rob Rossi.
Put another way: On Friday, Hextall needed to jettison two of his players to get back one. Basically, he forced himself to maneuver his way into fulfilling the most basic job of a GM — being able to ice a team.
It’s true that many teams have had to perform some cap gymnastics this season — a symptom of many years in a row in which the salary cap has remained relatively flat. As a result, several high-profile players across the league have been placed on waivers. But the Penguins’ situation is different in that their problems stem not from big contracts held by their highest performers, but from deals Hextall signed with the supporting cast.
It’s been as embarrassing a display of management as any in franchise history. And this is a franchise that has gone bankrupt twice.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I appreciate the detailed response. Lots to learn here.

I went through some prospects list and you are not wrong. I wouldn't even say Pickering is all that interesting. (We need defenseman so I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge).

Joel Blomqvist seems interesting but yeah, not much to go on there.

Any chance we could get Joseph?

I personally really like POJ but he profiles similarly to some defenseman this team already has and likely won't be moving on from. Possible future logjam with Smith waiting in the wings, too. He also probably requires some more polish and that's not likely to happen here under Sullivan and Todddddddddddddd. So yes POJ could likely be had.

I think for Boeser retained and Schenn something like POJ and their 2023 second round pick might be a good place to START. I understand that Vancouver likely wants more but POJ is a young NHL defenseman who projects as a possible middle pairing guy or at worst a puck moving third pairing guy. And the second is in a good draft. Perhaps a third or fourth in addition to balance, I dunno.

I'm honestly not great at trade proposals lol

EDIT: Ideally I hope the Penguins sell, honestly. But I wanted to give you an idea of value from this end. Cheers.

Reactions: gsharpe

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
I personally really like POJ but he profiles similarly to some defenseman this team already has and likely won't be moving on from. Possible future logjam with Smith waiting in the wings, too. He also probably requires some more polish and that's not likely to happen here under Sullivan and Todddddddddddddd. So yes POJ could likely be had.

I think for Boeser retained and Schenn something like POJ and their 2023 second round pick might be a good place to START. I understand that Vancouver likely wants more but POJ is a young NHL defenseman who projects as a possible middle pairing guy or at worst a puck moving third pairing guy. And the second is in a good draft. Perhaps a third or fourth in addition to balance, I dunno.

I'm honestly not great at trade proposals lol

EDIT: Ideally I hope the Penguins sell, honestly. But I wanted to give you an idea of value from this end. Cheers.

I think we still take Kapanen back for cap reasons. But print it up we got a deal.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think we still take Kapanen back for cap reasons. But print it up we got a deal.

I have no idea what the Penguins would do with Schenn lol but it would likely necessitate another move. He at least gives this team's blueline something that isn't a smurf. My fellow Pens fans hate Boeser but I personally like the fact he can really, really shoot the puck and meanwhile the current roster is filled to the rafters with a bunch of ham-fisted goobers. Would provide something different.

All that said... again... I hope the Penguins sell. They are going nowhere and this is a good draft.

Last edited:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
FWIW I don't think Kap is nearly as bad as many Penguins fans seem to think he is and likely should be able to carve out a spot as a good third liner with the right linemates and even pop up to the top six here and there. He must be used right, though. And he simply is not ever going to be a full time scoring line guy despite what might seem to be obvious parts of his toolbox saying so.

I have no idea what the Penguins would do with Schenn lol but it would likely necessitate another move. He at least gives this team's blueline something that isn't a smurf. My fellow Pens fans hate Boeser but I personally like the fact he can really, really shoot the puck and meanwhile the current roster is filled to the rafters with a bunch of ham-fisted goobers. Would provide something different.

All that said... again... I hope the Penguins sell. They are going nowhere and this is a good draft.

Yeah, bad mix of coaching, players, and GM.

GM -> bad contracts. bad selection of players- was all the change Hex and Sully or just Hex?
COACH -> bad systems, PP, deployment... dude literally sounds like a caveman now... "We got go fast"
PLAYERS -> bad mix and they aren't coached up

Just FIRE SULLY and HEXTALL and be done with it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, bad mix of coaching, players, and GM.

GM -> bad contracts. bad selection of players- was all the change Hex and Sully or just Hex?
COACH -> bad systems, PP, deployment... dude literally sounds like a caveman now... "We got go fast"
PLAYERS -> bad mix and they aren't coached up

Just FIRE SULLY and HEXTALL and be done with it.

Sullivan will probably be here longer than you and I can stand to continue watching.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

The media is turning up the heat on Hextall.

not on Sullivan, sadly. There's a bit of heat there, but not enough

Quick question for the masses. How many of us could suck at our jobs royally screwing up...then address our boss with a nickname like "Hexy" and not have to worry one bit about being fired?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
"It’s been as embarrassing a display of management as any in franchise history. And this is a franchise that has gone bankrupt twice."

Good Christ the Pittsburgh media is a clownshow.

The fact that the Pittsburgh media is making Hextall seem like the Hitler of GMs after what JR did in his last couple years here is pathetic.
At least they're showing some enthusiasm lol.

Reactions: Lustaf

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Quick question for the masses. How many of us could suck at our jobs royally screwing up...then address our boss with a nickname like "Hexy" and not have to worry one bit about being fired?
I suppose for hockey specifically, everyone seems to have a nickname.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
"It’s been as embarrassing a display of management as any in franchise history. And this is a franchise that has gone bankrupt twice."

Good Christ the Pittsburgh media is a clownshow.

The fact that the Pittsburgh media is making Hextall seem like the Hitler of GMs after what JR did in his last couple years here is pathetic.
Yeah I don't think Hextall has been great but I'm not sure I want him fired yet. And JR in his final years was as bad or worse

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I don't think Hextall has been great but I'm not sure I want him fired yet. And JR in his final years was as bad or worse

I'm actually totally fine with him being fired, his only good moves so far have been adding Rakell and keeping Malkin and Letang on cheap deals. But it's just annoying to hear the Pittsburgh media acting like he alone has ruined this team. Like do you seriously think that a shitty bottom-6 is why this team is struggling? Seriously?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm actually totally fine with him being fired, his only good moves so far have been adding Rakell and keeping Malkin and Letang on cheap deals. But it's just annoying to hear the Pittsburgh media acting like he alone has ruined this team. Like do you seriously think that a shitty bottom-6 is why this team is struggling? Seriously?
I dunno, trading for Carter was pretty good.

Re-signing Carter wasn't. But that was a good trade at the time.

Reactions: Pancakes

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
The media is turning up the heat on Hextall.

not on Sullivan, sadly. There's a bit of heat there, but not enough

I kind of agree but when it’s translated into melodramatic Rossi-drivel I am naturally inclined to disagree.

Been a while since I've done a proposal. Looking forward to the burn.

I trialed this a few minutes ago on the Canucks board. People seemed generally amicable to it except for the retention. Personally I think it's fine and necessary.

Canucks:
Schenn
Boeser (or Garland) 25% retain

Pens:
Kapanen
2nd 2023
2nd 2024

Let me have it!
Nothing wrong with the proposal value wise I would just rather use those picks on different players

Reactions: Pancakes

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They went pretty hard after Rutherford at times, too.

Rutherford was on the job for less than a year when he had his throw down with Rossi in the playoffs and told him to go sell ice cream.

The Cups mollified a lot of that, but it's not like Rutherford never got heat.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad