Rumor: Trade deadline/rumour/proposal thread Vol 12:clowe to nyr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Columbus is offering up a first I'd deal Hemsky for it. We'd take a hit for a couple of years but I think if your goal is Stanley Cups its a deal you do. And I'd move Whitney if its comparable to the 2 seconds kind of deals others were getting. A second plus a good prospect is even better. I mean its Whitney. I don't care if he's helping us right now. He's soft as butter on two questionable pins. See ya.

I'd move Jones too for a rugged prospect in somebody's system. And Kypreos is nuts if he thinks Jones is getting $2.5-$3.0 million.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
There have been trades that have broken quite late before...

Ah, go to bed I'm sure it'll be fine :sarcasm:

Iginla was at around 11 mountain
The Johnson/Stewart blockbuster was at 12 AM mountain.
Montreal traded D'Agostini pretty late

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
It shows the need for some better reffing.

It's their game they can police it as they like. The reffing is not going to change and waiting around for it to change and solve your problems does nothing. Either join them or don't complain when Bieksa and the like go out of their way to hurt our players. I believe the instigator rule is where the blame should go for this mess. The Cooke types would be eating out of a straw...

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
There have been trades that have broken quite late before...

Ah, go to bed I'm sure it'll be fine :sarcasm:

I know the Pronger trade several years ago was pretty late. Ahh, good times.

Well my class for tomorrow morning is cancelled so I'll definitely be staying up. Not expecting alot from the Oil, but you never know.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If Columbus is offering up a first I'd deal Hemsky for it. We'd take a hit for a couple of years but I think if your goal is Stanley Cups its a deal you do. And I'd move Whitney if its comparable to the 2 seconds kind of deals others were getting. A second plus a good prospect is even better. I mean its Whitney. I don't care if he's helping us right now. He's soft as butter on two questionable pins. See ya.

I'd move Jones too for a rugged prospect in somebody's system. And Kypreos is nuts if he thinks Jones is getting $2.5-$3.0 million.

As much as I'd be willing to move Whitney, it's because he's not that important for this team. Hemsky is. He's a top six forward, if people think moving Whitney damages the room, imagine dealing one of the best players.

I'm keeping Hemsky at this point. Not moving him. No attractive targets out there.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Oh **** yeah. I think it would be more likely McBain for Whitney and a 2nd personally though.

Nah, they need Whitney (LHD) more than we need McBain (RHD), Carolina is adding here imo, McBain has not been that good this year.
The benefit to the Oil is that he is an upgrade on Potter and tied up at a decent cap hit next year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I probably would have to think pretty long about it. Can you imagine how pissed HF would be if we made the playoffs, but picked up a 2nd 1st rounder, and won the lottery with it?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
As much as I'd be willing to move Whitney, it's because he's not that important for this team. Hemsky is. He's a top six forward, if people think moving Whitney damages the room, imagine dealing one of the best players.

I'm keeping Hemsky at this point. Not moving him. No attractive targets out there.

I'd do Hemsky for Yandle but thats the only way I deal him. We need to be getting a very good roster player back who fits the team. I have a feeling Hemsky will be clutch here down the stretch and a big part of getting us into the playoffs if it happens.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com

I'm of the same mind right now too.

If it were any of the years past I'd be all for it but:

A) I think it would send the wrong message to a team in their first playoff push in years and

B) we're not going to get anything back for him so it's not worth it anyway

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I want Hemsky gone. He brings spurts of offense, but nothing in terms of what we need (size and grit). He also costs 5M, which can be better used bringing in a FA that will fit our needs in the off season. His offense will be replaced when Eberle and RNH play back up to grade. And Yakupov, MPS, and Schultz continue to get better. Offense is not what this team needs long term, we are fine for that.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
If CAR doesn't trade for Whitney they can always play MAB in Pitkanen's spot. We all know what he can do. :laugh:

114238-marc-andre-bergeron-aura-occasion.jpg

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd do Hemsky for Yandle but thats the only way I deal him. We need to be getting a very good roster player back who fits the team. I have a feeling Hemsky will be clutch here down the stretch and a big part of getting us into the playoffs if it happens.

He's been to a finals before too. If we are dealing Hemsky, it's a draft thing realistically.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Tambellini better friggen do SOMETHING tomorrow. Doing so could save his job. Doing nothing will get us nowhere.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Also, in my opinion, there seems to be some backwards ass thinking by media members.

If Ryan Whitney is going to hurt the room if he's dealt, then how is Ryan Jones not going to hurt the room himself? Jones is more of a character and a friend to everyone than Whitney. Jones and Dubnyk are best friends.

There's a glitch in that thinking, so maybe we're being thrown off the real plans.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Tambellini better friggen do SOMETHING tomorrow. Doing so could save his job. Doing nothing will get us nowhere.

Other than possibly dealing Whitney/Jones there's really nothing to be done unless something unbelievable comes his way.

I don't want Tamby mortgaging the future on a rental.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Matheson still has some ears out there too. He called the Regehr to LA deal days before it happened.

I am against trading Whitney for picks, but if we could get McBain back I do it every day of the week.

Matheson seems to disagree.

I'm against it too in principal but that is under the assumption we are getting a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick back from a playoff team, if we get offered a 1st or 2 2nds I would take that without hesitation; you don't want to send the wrong message to the team but we have good depth with our left side D and the reality is we are still rebuilding you can't forgo that kind of overpayment for a UFA you likely aren't going to retain on a playoff push that we likely have less than a 50% chance of making.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If the main reason that Whitney and Jones are not dealt to improve this team is because it'd "hurt" the room, then we got PROBLEMS IN THE ROOM. These are professionals, and they better not be babies about it.

In any case, I'm still down with any trade that improves this team in the long term. Pending UFAs like Whitney and Jones should be moved unless a reasonable extension can be worked out. I know we are in a play-off run and it's great, but I don't think it's the right time for Edmonton to do any real damage. I'd like us to set up huge for next year.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
If we aren't bringing in better players there's no point in trading Hemsky or Whitney. That sends the wrong message to a young team that's competing for a playoff spot.

We need to trade picks and/or prospects for experienced NHL players. Nobody's trading NHL players for NHL players right now and we have a stockpile of good prospects.

It probably wouldn't take much to get an experienced 4th line centre, maybe a 4th or 5th rounder. I think we should shop a 2nd rounder and a prospect for a dman or an experienced forward, it seems to be working for a lot of teams right now.

We could spare a couple picks and prospects to try to improve this team. Playoffs are within reach, we need to get better NOW. If we squeak into the playoffs anything can happen, just imagine if Eberle catches fire along with Hall. We might even win a round, anything can happen.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Also, in my opinion, there seems to be some backwards ass thinking by media members.

If Ryan Whitney is going to hurt the room if he's dealt, then how is Ryan Jones not going to hurt the room himself? Jones is more of a character and a friend to everyone than Whitney. Jones and Dubnyk are best friends.

There's a glitch in that thinking, so maybe we're being thrown off the real plans.

Gagner and Cogliano were best friends too. Gilbert was roomates with both of them.

This is a business and everybody's here to win. Both Whitney and Jones are UFAs in a few months time. Both are very aware that they could be packing their bags tomorrow morning. It's part of the job for everyone to be prepared for that.

Jones' two goals from the fourth line are replaceable this season. Hartikainen plays the same high-intensity brand of hockey. And he won't be asking for $2M+ to get re-signed.

Whitney's breakout pass isn't as replaceable.

For this team to operate successfully, Tambellini needs to avoid removing the components that give it success - not avoid trading somebody's best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad