Rumor: Trade deadline/rumour/proposal thread Vol 12:clowe to nyr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I would like to see if our 1st can get Jamie McBain.

Should cost less than that for sure or else I wouldn't do it.

They are going to be desperate for a LHD though and Whitney could be a really big piece with McBain coming back. If you can get this trade straight up or even adding a little you take it.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Pitkanen out in CAR. Whitney could be gone unfortunately.

Edmonton is closer to making the playoffs than Carolina, so I can't see Whitney being more valuable to them than to us at this point. They'd have to knock Tambellini's socks off with an offer--I would think--which I can't really see happening, given their position in the standings.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Count me out on Jamie McBain. He just doesn't really appeal to me. 4 PIMS last year in 76 GP, we need a physical two-way D-man, not a softie.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This is literally the only thing Whitney is bringing to the table here.

At least Potter uses his size. Potter has the better shot, better net clearing presence. Him and Whitney are the same speed wise. Whitney has the breakout pass.

Pretty much. If we had an adequate puck mover on the team, Whitney would have been gone a week ago.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is "The Oilers Report" on twitter just another TreenasOil?

They're saying the Bruins, Blackhawks, Hurricanes and Red Wings have inquired about Whitney.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Edmonton is closer to making the playoffs than Carolina, so I can't see Whitney being more valuable to them than to us at this point. They'd have to knock Tambellini's socks off with an offer--I would think--which I can't really see happening, given their position in the standings.

The points race looks better in our favour, but the Southeast is softer than butter. Carolina is 4 points out of 3rd in the conference and has 3 games in hand on Winnipeg. No one's out of it in that division except Florida.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
The points race looks better in our favour, but the Southeast is softer than butter. Carolina is 4 points out of 3rd in the conference and has 3 games in hand on Winnipeg. No one's out of it in that division except Florida.

Sure, but Carolina isn't exactly lighting it up this season, and no sense in trading Whitney if the return isn't a substantial. We are in a race to make the playoffs as much as anyone.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
With Oilers still fighting for a play-off spot, I doubt Whitney is in play. That said, if they can parlay Whitney into Ott type of player I would not be opposed to it.

Maybe something like

To EDM--Ott
to BUF- Caron, 4th/5th round pick from Boston
Boston-- Whitney

Then maybe package a 2nd round pick from Ana with one of defensive prospects (Plante, Teubert, Bigos, Fedun) for Streit.

There is no way we would get Ott that cheap and I think it would take more than that to pry Streit loose, it's been awhile for NYI since has sniffed the playoffs too, they don't want to pass it up either.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sure, but Carolina isn't exactly lighting it up this season, and no sense in trading Whitney if the return isn't a substantial. We are in a race to make the playoffs as much as anyone.

The only deal involving Whitney I look at there is the one involving McBain coming back.

They'll need to pay a premium, no doubt.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why unfortunately? He's probably upgrade on Whitney at this point--at least defensively. If he comes cheap--I would not mind him. They can always re-sign Fistric, if they want extra toughness on the back end. Better yet go after Regehr or D.Murray in the off-season.

We don't need a small dman who can't produce offense. Whitney is MUCH better than him offensively, and we need his breakout pass.

We'd better be resigning Fistric. I'd take him over Regehr and Murray at this point in their careers

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
We don't need a small dman who can't produce offense. Whitney is MUCH better than him offensively, and we need his breakout pass.

We'd better be resigning Fistric. I'd take him over Regehr and Murray at this point in their careers

Yes, but where the Hell is the GDT? It's 19 minutes after midnight, a BOA match-up, and we're in a playoff race. Geez!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
There is no way we would get Ott that cheap and I think it would take more than that to pry Streit loose, it's been awhile for NYI since has sniffed the playoffs too, they don't want to pass it up either.

Ott has a hefty price tag and some years left on his contract, so Buffalo might be willing to unload his salary. But I admit i have no clue what return he will garner at the deadline. Whitney for Ott straight up seems pretty fair to me, albeit there will need to be a 3rd team involved as Buffalo has no use for Whitney.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
His timing wasn't good enough when it happened to him again against the Canucks.

I'm giving Hall the credit on those plays.

Whitney has great hands. He has benefitted from some great feeds, even back to his Penguin days but he still knows how to finish. You would be a fool to underestimate him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Whitney has great hands. He has benefitted from some great feeds, even back to his Penguin days but he still knows how to finish. You would be a fool to underestimate him.

I know he has some offensive ability, but you'd also be a fool to forget how many mistakes and errors he can cause in the defensive zone. His speed is also not optimal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Noticed Kyperios mention Torres a possible fit here again. Really didn't even think about him, but I would love it.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Only concern I have with him are his habits off the ice. Other than that, I would love to bring him back as well.
Meh the Oilers best teams all had bad habits off the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Noticed Kyperios mention Torres a possible fit here again. Really didn't even think about him, but I would love it.

I think that probably got taken off the table indefinitely the second he headshotted Jordan Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad