Rumor: Trade deadline/rumour/proposal thread Vol 12:clowe to nyr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think it's time to mention that Pitkanen is out 3 months.

I don't see McBain moving now.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'm surprised we're interested in Torres. IIRC, at the start of the rebuild, he was one of the guys that was moved out of the team because he was deemed a problem child wasn't he? I can't remember if it was under Lowe or Tambo, but regardless, I'm surprised they are interested in him considering they saw him in that way.

IIRC, it had more to do with him being too inconsistent a scorer to play in the top 6. He's exactly the type of bottom 6 player this team could use IMO, and if he could be had for cheap then I'm all for it.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Don't know if this was posted earlier:

@CraigCustance
Nothing imminent on Yandle front. Deal would really have to make sense for PHX to move him. Need a legit top six center.

I would give up VandeVelde then....maybe even Lander:sarcasm:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Awesome to hear from a media source. I personally think we make good trading partners and wouldn't be disappointed if we could get a deal done around McBain and Whitney.

Matheson still has some ears out there too. He called the Regehr to LA deal days before it happened.

I am against trading Whitney for picks, but if we could get McBain back I do it every day of the week.

I think it's time to mention that Pitkanen is out 3 months.

I don't see McBain moving now.

Matheson seems to disagree.

More from Matheson:

"If Steve Tambellini’s cell-phone wasn’t ringing shortly after Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Joni Pitkanen suffered a serious leg injury on an icing race for the puck Tuesday night — when is the NHL going to wake up and go to no-touch? — then Jim Rutherford isn’t doing his job.

Knowing Rutherford for some 20 years, he is a pro-active NHL general manager. With Pitkanen, the onetime Oiler D-man,badly hurt (ankle, three months), then the Hurricanes are going to need Ryan Whitney.

I know the Oilers seem to be in a let’s-not-shuffle-the-deck mood with their lineup because they are solidly in a playoff race, and Tambellini might want to send a strong message to his players that he isn’t sending players away.

But again,with the vastly underrated minute-muncher Pitkanen done for the season after losing an edge in his race with Troy Brouwer, they need a defenceman and Whitney, whose play has improved, would certainly appear to be the necessary replacement.

A puck-mover for a puck-mover, so maybe Tambellini will at least have to listen.

If there are two second-round draft picks in play–Carolina is looking to move blueliner Jamie McBain, too– doesn’t he have to see what’s on Rutherford’s mind?"​

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...bellinis-phone/?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_oilers

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't know if this was posted earlier:

@CraigCustance
Nothing imminent on Yandle front. Deal would really have to make sense for PHX to move him. Need a legit top six center.

It's almost embarrassing how obvious it is that they're banking on Couturier.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Something around Khabby for Scrivens would be a great deal, if we could get it done.

McBain + 2nd 2013 for Whitney + 3rd 2014

Then Jones + Belanger + 2nd 2013 for Ott.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvi + Gagner - Yakupov
Hartikainen - Horcoff - Hemsky
Brown - Ott - Smyth/Petrell

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
Fistric - McBain

Dubnyk
Scrivens

Just that easy ;)

I wonder what they'd want for Scrivens and Gardiner. Maybe Khabby and someone like Schultz?

I'm thinking that Buffalo is going to be asking for PRV for Ott, would be nice if it was that easy though ;)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Matheson could have written his column before Pitkanen's injury, but I should mention that @reporterchris, who had lots of lockout info, said he doesn't believe McBain will move before the deadline.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mentioned earlier I was against moving Whitney at the deadline. If you could get McBain. McBain would be worth taking a shot on. Would help balance out the bottom pairing and pick up a guy who can develop into a top 4 on an organization that has soured a bit on him.

Matheson still has some ears out there too. He called the Regehr to LA deal days before it happened.

He outright called that one though. This is more speculation on what might be a fit on his part. Would love it if he was right, his speculation pieces usually end up not being very accurate sadly.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder what they'd want for Scrivens and Gardiner. Maybe Khabby and someone like Schultz?

I'm thinking that Buffalo is going to be asking for PRV for Ott, would be nice if it was that easy though ;)

Gardiner is pretty much just fantasy. There have been no reports that the Leafs are interested in moving him, or even listening to offers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Woah, no WAY Carolina deals a contracted player AND a pick for a UFA rental.

Come on guys.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A
Awesome to hear from a media source. I personally think we make good trading partners and wouldn't be disappointed if we could get a deal done around McBain and Whitney.

I'd be happy to get Mcbain. Real happy actually. Some people would grouse about "upsetting the room" or losing a veteran in a playoff race, but I think the longterm asset and and an improving defenceman, while PP help in the short term would make it a good move.

I don't think they'd miss Whitney's "leadership" anyway. Someone would step up.

Then again, the Pitkanen injury could force them to reconsider trading Mcbain altogether.

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
Matheson could have written his column before Pitkanen's injury, but I should mention that @reporterchris, who had lots of lockout info, said he doesn't believe McBain will move before the deadline.

The first two paragraphs are about the injury. Hopefully he did write this before and can tell us what happens tomorrow right now ;)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mentioned earlier I was against moving Whitney at the deadline. If you could get McBain. McBain would be worth taking a shot on. Would help balance out the bottom pairing and pick up a guy who can develop into a top 4 on an organization that has soured a bit on him.

Agreed.

One's a 30yr old guy on an expriring $4M contract, who has recurring ankle issues.

The other's 25yo guy in the mold of Tom Gilbert who's making $1.8M next year and is a RFA.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
More from Matheson:

"If Steve Tambellini’s cell-phone wasn’t ringing shortly after Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Joni Pitkanen suffered a serious leg injury on an icing race for the puck Tuesday night — when is the NHL going to wake up and go to no-touch? — then Jim Rutherford isn’t doing his job.

Knowing Rutherford for some 20 years, he is a pro-active NHL general manager. With Pitkanen, the onetime Oiler D-man,badly hurt (ankle, three months), then the Hurricanes are going to need Ryan Whitney.

I know the Oilers seem to be in a let’s-not-shuffle-the-deck mood with their lineup because they are solidly in a playoff race, and Tambellini might want to send a strong message to his players that he isn’t sending players away.

But again,with the vastly underrated minute-muncher Pitkanen done for the season after losing an edge in his race with Troy Brouwer, they need a defenceman and Whitney, whose play has improved, would certainly appear to be the necessary replacement.

A puck-mover for a puck-mover, so maybe Tambellini will at least have to listen.

If there are two second-round draft picks in play–Carolina is looking to move blueliner Jamie McBain, too– doesn’t he have to see what’s on Rutherford’s mind?"​

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...bellinis-phone/?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_oilers

Matheson doesn't make sense there somehow.

Canes are 5 pts out of a playoff spot, Whitney will be UFA this summer and his foot problem has been well documented. Why would the Canes give up anything decent for a rental who has slowed considerably due to injury?

And, we are 1 pt out of playoff spot. As much as I like to trade Whitney, I don't see the Oilers wanting to trade Whitney for a 3rd round pick.

Canes just lost Pitkanen so why would they want to trade McBain?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Come on guys.

I would be a little surprised if they were looking at picking up a rental. 4 points out of the division lead and 5 points out of 8th (funny how that works). I almost wouldn't be surprised to see the Canes look at moving a piece or two for picks now that Pitkanen is out for the season.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Come on guys.

Then you tell Rutherford good luck finding another defenseman and hang up. My offer is predicated on the belief that Tambo doesn't want to trade Whitney. Hey, if they really want something else we'll give them Belanger.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Should we expect any NHL deals late-night tonight, or are most of the deals going to take place tomorrow morning?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hemsky (5M Contract no one is willing to touch)
Whitney (UFA)

for

McBain (1.8M for next season and RFA)
2nd Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad