Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I get a feeling we are not making any huge deals this TDL.

Maybe we go in on Ullmark but goalies are always unpredictable. I don't think you spend big assets for a goalie of Ullmark's calibre.

Still indifferent on whether or not we should add Hall.

Bringing back Connor Brown might make the most sense for us right now. He adds great speed and work along the boards. Along with a nose for the net. I can't see him coming at a high price and wouldn't wait for the quarantine order like other players would have.

Another option if Calgary is truly eliminated from contention would be Monahan. I think the flames are due for another rebuild and taking Monahan and putting him on the wing as opposed to the center position he has struggled with makes more sense. The price will be high though.

Dreger/Ferarro podcast said not a lot of people like the Flames players or know that the big pieces like Monahan, Gaudreau or Tkachuk won't be available until the off-season.

Grabbing someone like Ullmark is good, same with adding a player like Laughton.

I'd be looking at Tkachuk come the off-season.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
31 Thoughts Podcast;

- Friedman says if he's looking for a goalie, Ullmark is the guy. CJ notes his cap hit is good, and numbers are good, despite the situation. Marek asks if the Leafs would be a fit there.
- Friedman says the Leafs (obviously) will need to make a decision on acquiring a goalie this week.
- Both Friedman and CJ say the Leafs have been airtight on the Andersen situation.
- CJ says there has been speculation that the Leafs could use Andersen's contract as part of a deal, but CJ doesn't think that would go over well in the dressing room. Andersen is well liked.
- Friedman reminds us that both their goalies health is up in the air right now. CJ thinks that is why they likely want to bring in another goalie, but says the cap situation is tight.
- CJ says Leafs are usually open with their injury status. Haven't used upper/lower really since Dubas took over, but have said nothing on the Freddy front. He's been "day to day" for nearly 3 weeks now. Says the Leafs are taking a risk either way.

Seems pretty obvious they don't want to tip their hand on Freddy and weaken their position in a trade negotiation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What if as a side deal we trade Kerfoot along with a pick to Team A, who retains 50% on Kerfoot trade to Team B and then Team B trades Kerfoot back to us with 50% retained for another mid round draft pick? And in the process we turn his $3.5 million cap hit into a $875,000 cap hit? Is this sort of thing possible?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What if as a side deal we trade Kerfoot along with a pick to Team A, who retains 50% on Kerfoot trade to Team B and then Team B trades Kerfoot back to us with 50% retained for another mid round draft pick? And in the process we turn his $3.5 million cap hit into a $875,000 cap hit? Is this sort of thing possible?

Might be considered cap circumvention.

Kerfoot is going to look real good to teams after July 1st.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
We need a healthy goalie to play top minutes. Anderson ailing, Campbell appears to be not healthy. Hutch is an AHL goalie. Not looking good going forward with this uncertainty.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I think we're more or less stuck with the goalies we have. Picking up a starting goalie at the trade deadline so rarely works out.

If we are going to give up our first this year, I'd want to make it conditional on reaching the conference finals, or one of those "give a first get back a second" kind of trades.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Imo he goes to Seattle.

In most of my mocks, Dermott goes to Seattle but if it's Kerfoot, that's okay too. I can see the value of a player like him to them. LW/C, his average salary at that point for the 2 remaining years is 2.7M

If we keep Kerfoot, at July 1st, his average salary works out to be 1.725M because we'll have paid the signing bonus.

Reactions: zeke

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think we're more or less stuck with the goalies we have. Picking up a starting goalie at the trade deadline so rarely works out.

If we are going to give up our first this year, I'd want to make it conditional on reaching the conference finals, or one of those "give a first get back a second" kind of trades.
At the very least I'd like us to pick up a big goalie with good underlying numbers at the NHL level for depth. Anthony Stolarz or Anders Nilsson come to mind. Not world beaters by any means but likely better than Hutch and keeps us from digging too deep into the well if injuries come up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At the very least I'd like us to pick up a big goalie with good underlying numbers at the NHL level for depth. Anthony Stolarz or Anders Nilsson come to mind. Not world beaters by any means but likely better than Hutch and keeps us from digging too deep into the well if injuries come up.

Think Nilsson has been LTR all season no?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Not sure how feasible it would be for teams to do this with a couple of full seasons still remaining on the Kerfoot contract.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Nilsson hasn't played a game this year, and Stolarz only three. He was terrible in those three, and Hutch has been much better.

I appreciate that Hutch gives us PTSD based on last years performances, but he's got a -.925 SV% and a 0.806 HDSV%. If we are going to give up assets, at least make it for someone who has played this year, and has been better.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems pretty obvious they don't want to tip their hand on Freddy and weaken their position in a trade negotiation.

This is my feeling. He's LTIR bound. Leafs just aren't going to say anything until they get a trade for a goalie done.

Big Save Dave (CGY)
Anton Khudobin
One of the Columbus doofuses
Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer
Linus Ullmark
Darcy Kuemper

are the options from what I can approximate.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Nilsson hasn't played a game this year, and Stolarz only three. He was terrible in those three, and Hutch has been much better.

I appreciate that Hutch gives us PTSD based on last years performances, but he's got a -.925 SV% and a 0.806 HDSV%. If we are going to give up assets, at least make it for someone who has played this year, and has been better.
Stolarz plays for Anaheim. They bleed chances like crazy.

His underlying numbers in his NHL career have been pretty good when you factor in SA/60 vs league average and differentials in HD/LD chances vs average.

He was also an AHL all star last year and seems to have figured things out.

I never said give up a decent asset for him but if you can add depth by flipping somebody like Kossila/Agostino I think we should do it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Stolarz plays for Anaheim. They bleed chances like crazy.

His underlying numbers in his NHL career have been pretty good when you factor in SA/60 vs league average and differentials in HD/LD chances vs average.

He was also an AHL all star last year and seems to have figured things out.

I never said give up a decent asset for him but if you can add depth by flipping somebody like Kossila/Agostino I think we should do it.

Gibson is 0.917 SV% 0.818 HDSV% on the same team.
Stolarz is 0.706 HDSV% on the same team. That's terrible.

Hutch has a better record. If you are going to do something, do it right.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
This is my feeling. He's LTIR bound. Leafs just aren't going to say anything until they get a trade for a goalie done.

Big Save Dave (CGY)
Anton Khudobin
One of the Columbus doofuses
Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer
Linus Ullmark
Darcy Kuemper

are the options from what I can approximate.

I think Kuemper is out. Any goalie with contract remaining is useless to us because we can't protect them from being grabbed by Seattle. And it would be a no brainer for them to grab Kuemper (or Campbell if we're dumb enough to leave him unprotected). It has to be an expiring deal, like Ullmark.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Galchenyuk hadn’t scored last night, the Hall talk would be more than it is. As it is Galchenyuk has worked hard and now is getting rewarded. Focus should be on a 3rd liner with some grit and two way game. The cap is going to make it hard though. I would like a depth D as well.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I think Kuemper is out. Any goalie with contract remaining is useless to us because we can't protect them from being grabbed by Seattle. And it would be a no brainer for them to grab Kuemper (or Campbell if we're dumb enough to leave him unprotected). It has to be an expiring deal, like Ullmark.

you can always do a side deal with Seattle. We should be trying to win

Reactions: DougGilmour93

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
you can always do a side deal with Seattle. We should be trying to win

Too many strings to be pulled TBH when there are a decent crop of UFA goalies you can go after if Ullmark is not the choice (Rittich - no quarantine, Raanta, Bernier, and Mrazek/Reimer to name a few).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In most of my mocks, Dermott goes to Seattle but if it's Kerfoot, that's okay too. I can see the value of a player like him to them. LW/C, his average salary at that point for the 2 remaining years is 2.7M

If we keep Kerfoot, at July 1st, his average salary works out to be 1.725M because we'll have paid the signing bonus.

I suspect Seattle will be able to get 6-7 better D men than Dermott which likely really lessons his attraction to them if they can't guarantee him icetime and they will likely be able to find few centres so Kerfoots value to them increases.

That said dont feel comfortable betting on it just yet.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Gibson is 0.917 SV% 0.818 HDSV% on the same team.
Stolarz is 0.706 HDSV% on the same team. That's terrible.

Hutch has a better record. If you are going to do something, do it right.
If you're using just this year sure, he's faced what 80 shots total?

But for their NHL careers Gibson has averaged about 4 HD shots against per 60 mins. Stolarz is over 10.5 HD SA/60 and for his career is still over .800 in terms of SV%. It's important to look at volume vs average workload when looking at these numbers.

Also I'm not saying trade for Stolarz to be an elite goalie. I'm saying to add depth. Stolarz behind this defense is likely better than Hutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad