Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Maybe you don't know what to look for?

I think I know enough about hockey to be able to identify obvious cases of strong defensive play but I am sure you are an expert.

This is off-topic now anyways.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

So looks like Leafs have discussed moving Andersen, but players like him and it's risky moving him when he is well liked. Basically goalie add is on the table.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Good for Winnipeg. Nashville has had rotten luck with injuries (and Johansen has sucked) so they may actually be able to surprise some teams if they are fully healthy.

They play a couple of games against the Red Wings and if they win both, they have a pretty good hold on 4th place in what was originally a spot that was a total toss up.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

So looks like Leafs have discussed moving Andersen, but players like him and it's risky moving him when he is well liked. Basically goalie add is on the table.

I get that guys like him, especially Matthews, but if the results aren't there you have to move on in FA anyways.

No sense in risking this year just to keep him for a few extra months.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Good read, thanks for sharing this.

Basically as I figured, players with similar zone deployment won't see much influence in their possession stats while if you compare players with polar opposite zone usage you will see some differences. Something they probably should have covered more is a potential spread of traditional faceoffs starts vs on the fly starts. I'm interested if the percentage is similar league wide or some players play a lot more or less on the fly vs face-off etc.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Cap accumulation, so yes.

I could be understanding it wrong, but at this point in the season with a few days until the deadline, wouldn't we be talking about 4-5 figure numbers for accumulation before whatever other trades we have lined up?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I could be understanding it wrong, but at this point in the season with a few days until the deadline, wouldn't we be talking about 4-5 figure numbers for accumulation before whatever other trades we have lined up?

I also don't think we have any ELC guys to really worry about overages.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Fairly sure cap accumulation still occurs after the TDL until the playoffs, so it could also be the difference between needing to waive someone and not.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's probably not a huge amount. However if the Leafs have a complicated plan involving bringing in a couple players by the tdl they may need literally every dollar

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
31 Thoughts Podcast;

- Friedman says if he's looking for a goalie, Ullmark is the guy. CJ notes his cap hit is good, and numbers are good, despite the situation. Marek asks if the Leafs would be a fit there.
- Friedman says the Leafs (obviously) will need to make a decision on acquiring a goalie this week.
- Both Friedman and CJ say the Leafs have been airtight on the Andersen situation.
- CJ says there has been speculation that the Leafs could use Andersen's contract as part of a deal, but CJ doesn't think that would go over well in the dressing room. Andersen is well liked.
- Friedman reminds us that both their goalies health is up in the air right now. CJ thinks that is why they likely want to bring in another goalie, but says the cap situation is tight.
- CJ says Leafs are usually open with their injury status. Haven't used upper/lower really since Dubas took over, but have said nothing on the Freddy front. He's been "day to day" for nearly 3 weeks now. Says the Leafs are taking a risk either way.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
31 Thoughts Podcast;

- Friedman says if he's looking for a goalie, Ullmark is the guy. CJ notes his cap hit is good, and numbers are good, despite the situation. Marek asks if the Leafs would be a fit there.
- Friedman says the Leafs (obviously) will need to make a decision on acquiring a goalie this week.
- Both Friedman and CJ say the Leafs have been airtight on the Andersen situation.
- CJ says there has been speculation that the Leafs could use Andersen's contract as part of a deal, but CJ doesn't think that would go over well in the dressing room. Andersen is well liked.
- Friedman reminds us that both their goalies health is up in the air right now. CJ thinks that is why they likely want to bring in another goalie, but says the cap situation is tight.
- CJ says Leafs are usually open with their injury status. Haven't used upper/lower really since Dubas took over, but have said nothing on the Freddy front. He's been "day to day" for nearly 3 weeks now. Says the Leafs are taking a risk either way.

Thanks for the summary Cor.

I'm a little more cut throat on this. I think we all are reasonably confident Andersen isn't back next season...not opposed to sending him the other way to make this work. The goal needs to be 100% on winning.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Thanks for the summary Cor.

I'm a little more cut throat on this. I think we all are reasonably confident Andersen isn't back next season...not opposed to sending him the other way to make this work. The goal needs to be 100% on winning.

Yup he's going to be leaving anyway, and can't hold on to him because he's "popular"

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I get that guys like him, especially Matthews, but if the results aren't there you have to move on in FA anyways.

No sense in risking this year just to keep him for a few extra months.
Exactly. Andersen is part of the core that has failed for years now, you don't keep guys around because they are liked, though I feel like that is something Kyle would do and the thought is infuriating.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
31 Thoughts Podcast;

Even if Freddy does come back fairly soon he hasn't been good for a while now and he'll have missed a bunch of time/
He's done here is my guess and they don't want to announce it yet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
31 Thoughts Podcast;

I would say the silence speaks volumes on that one. If they really believed in Andersen (and specifically his health), they likely would have said something by now. Even if they did believe in it, I would still say behind closed doors they are looking at moves to provide more certainty than what exists with Andersen right now. That doesn't mean a deal gets done, but it looks like that may have taken precedence, especially with Galchenyuk solving our immediate needs for a forward to put in the top 6.

Dubas is loyal but he is not stupid.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Exactly. Andersen is part of the core that has failed for years now, you don't keep guys around because they are liked, though I feel like that is something Kyle would do and the thought is infuriating.
Dubas knows this is a year you can't let slip away. A Boston/Tampa level team is not standing in front of you.

At the very least I hope he adds depth to the position, but holding onto a terrible/injured Fred without solidifying alternatives would be a bad gamble.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I get a feeling we are not making any huge deals this TDL.

Maybe we go in on Ullmark but goalies are always unpredictable. I don't think you spend big assets for a goalie of Ullmark's calibre.

Still indifferent on whether or not we should add Hall.

Bringing back Connor Brown might make the most sense for us right now. He adds great speed and work along the boards. Along with a nose for the net. I can't see him coming at a high price and wouldn't wait for the quarantine order like other players would have.

Another option if Calgary is truly eliminated from contention would be Monahan. I think the flames are due for another rebuild and taking Monahan and putting him on the wing as opposed to the center position he has struggled with makes more sense. The price will be high though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad