Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Pretty certain the Taylor Hall ship has sailed... there is no longer cap room for him. Dubas the GM has put a pretty large emphasis on locker room chemistry:

“I think the emergence of Galchenyuk playing with John and William, both in terms of the fact he’s produced a little bit but in terms of how hard he’s playing and the effectiveness that he’s brought to the group, I think certainly reduces the urgency,” Dubas said.
“But with all that said, if we can do something that we think is going to be a good fit in the locker room and on the ice, I think we would still very openly explore that.’’

Andersen isn't going anywhere for this reason and what they feel they owe to him as well, playing through injury so that Campbell could rest; it's LTIR or staying put for him & very likely the ladder.

Only way I think Hall is possible is if Kerfoot is going the other way, and has to at least be reasonably valued by Buffalo to make it worthwhile, because the Leafs immediately have a big whole to fill whether you're a fan of Kerfoot or not; they 100% would need to have something lined up there.

Maybe:

1st (because that's the ask whether you like it or not) + Kerfoot
for
Hall (@50%) + 3rd round pick 2021 (MTL)

2nd round pick 2021/20222 (TOR)
for
Laughton (@50%) + 7th

7th
for
23-53k (depends on the day) in pro-rated cap hit retained (about 4x as much is the cap hit equivalent)

Can't see the Leafs coughing up any less if they go the Hall route; is a 1st, 2nd + Kerfoot for Hall, Laughton, 3rd worth it?

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they add 4 players, IMO, they've decided to LTIR Anderson and trade Kerfoot in season... I just don't see available upgrades that move the needle enough to add 4 players, without gutting the cupboards of picks and prospects.

IMO, if you LTIR Anderson and add a Kuemper or Ullmark, Hall or Schwarts and Oleksiak, you're plenty deep and talented.

Hall or Schwartz-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Kerfoot-Spezza
Thornton

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Oleksiak / Bogosian
Dermott

Campbell
Kuemper / Ullmark

That's a pretty damn good team, but even that would be pricey.

That's a pretty solid team, no question... If I added four, it would be as follows. I mean, Hakanpaa costs you a 4th or 5th, in addition to what you've done, so not really gutting the cupboards. It should see moving out, 1st, 2nd, 5th, B prospect, Andersen, Kerfoot, Barabanov.

Hall Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Laughton Hyman
Simmonds Spezza Engvall
Thornton

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogo
Hakanpaa

Campbell
Ullmark

Reactions: The Cobra

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
i'd give him a shot at the line 1 LW spot, and if it doesnt work, down to 3rd/4th

If this wasn't the middle of a season in which the Leafs expect to make a Cup run, I would be really intrigued by the idea. Not a fan of adding a guy to the roster who is struggling, right now and hoping to turn him around.

Off season move? Sure. But right now that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Because Forsberg and Bonino are better then Quick and Brown thats why!!!! Quick will not unseat Campbell as the starter as long as Campbell plays the way he has been. So acquiring him is as good as keeping Andersen as the backup. I want no part of Quick next season. There will be cheaper options to pair with Campbell next season then an overaged goalie past his prime. As for Brown, I would rather use the funds on Forsberg every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. You cannot compare what Hyman brings to the team vs. Brown. Brown is done, got his contract and sailed into the sunset.

Lmfao there really not, but believe whatever you want buddy!

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
That's a pretty solid team, no question... If I added four, it would be as follows. I mean, Hakanpaa costs you a 4th or 5th, in addition to what you've done, so not really gutting the cupboards. It should see moving out, 1st, 2nd, 5th, B prospect, Andersen, Kerfoot, Barabanov.

Hall Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Laughton Hyman
Simmonds Spezza Engvall
Thornton

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogo
Hakanpaa

Campbell
Ullmark

In your equation I assume Kerfoot goes back to Buffalo?

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
If you were Seattle, you'd choose Dermott, Engvall or Mikheyev over Campbell or Quick?

What's with the lololol stuff? Just get out of class?

100%

Look who Vegas drafted as there goalies lol, trust me they will have way better options!

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pretty certain the Taylor Hall ship has sailed... there is no longer cap room for him. Dubas the GM has put a pretty large emphasis on locker room chemistry:

“I think the emergence of Galchenyuk playing with John and William, both in terms of the fact he’s produced a little bit but in terms of how hard he’s playing and the effectiveness that he’s brought to the group, I think certainly reduces the urgency,” Dubas said.
“But with all that said, if we can do something that we think is going to be a good fit in the locker room and on the ice, I think we would still very openly explore that.’’

Andersen isn't going anywhere for this reason and what they feel they owe to him as well, playing through injury so that Campbell could rest; it's LTIR or staying put for him & very likely the ladder.

Only way I think Hall is possible is if Kerfoot is going the other way, and has to at least be reasonably valued by Buffalo to make it worthwhile, because the Leafs immediately have a big whole to fill whether you're a fan of Kerfoot or not; they 100% would need to have something lined up there.

Maybe:

1st (because that's the ask whether you like it or not) + Kerfoot
for
Hall (@50%) + 3rd round pick 2021 (MTL)

2nd round pick 2021/20222 (TOR)
for
Laughton (@50%) + 7th

7th
for
23-53k (depends on the day) in pro-rated cap hit retained (about 4x as much is the cap hit equivalent)

Can't see the Leafs coughing up any less if they go the Hall route; is a 1st, 2nd + Kerfoot for Hall, Laughton, 3rd worth it?
They can get a third team to retain salary. I dont think they'll get Hall, but its not impossible.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If you were Seattle, you'd choose Dermott, Engvall or Mikheyev over Campbell or Quick?

What's with the lololol stuff? Just get out of class?

Fairly sure Seattle has zero interest in a cap dump like Quick. He has been atrocious for three straight years and is 35 years old. They will also have a bunch of much better options on teams that have worse to offer at all other positions (i.e. Arizona, Dallas, Vancouver, Chicago, etc.). We have more to offer at forward and defense than at goalie.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
They can get a third team to retain salary. I dont think they'll get Hall, but its not impossible.
Yes they can but no it's still not enough... they don't have the cap space.

I don't think they get Hall either, but a lot of people are not getting that since Galchenyuk played his 10th game with the Leafs, they no longer can just add Hall (even retained 50% twice) without losing/removing one of: Matthews, Marner, Hyman, Nylander, Tavares, Galchenyuk, Engvall, Mikheyev, Simmonds, Thornton, Kerfoot, Spezza, Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, Bogosian, Andersen, Campbell.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Maybe my hopes are too high, but I have seen it in the past with Potvin and we saw it as recent as Binnington (sp?) with St. Louis straight to winning a cup!!! Its possible, there are more examples I am sure of goalies in the past that have taken over a job when they had no reason to and went on remarkable runs. Why not Campbell?

Have you ever played hockey? How about goal in a hockey league? Well I have, and there is nothing better then getting lucky or playing well, having the support of your teammates, you end up feeling like a wall. Like nothing can get past you. You feel invincible!!!!!

Like I said, maybe I am living a pipe dream. But my experiences and past goalies in the NHL have proven this is possible.

Reactions: geo25 and The Cobra

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Fairly sure Seattle has zero interest in a cap dump like Quick. He has been atrocious for three straight years and is 35 years old. They will also have a bunch of much better options on teams that have worse to offer at all other positions (i.e. Arizona, Dallas, Vancouver, Chicago, etc.). We have more to offer at forward and defense than at goalie.

Is quick washed up or his team?
Honestly they're full rebuild and started trading away all there top defensive defenseman 3years ago lol.

Fun fact, he has the same numbers as Andersen playing on one of the worst teams lolol

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where he goes... just that he does.

No way Philly takes him back in the Laughton deal. The only reason they're trading Laughton is because of cost.

I think your scenario would be something like... Anderson to LTIR...

To Toronto
Taylor Hall (50% retained)
Linus Ullmark

To Buffalo
2021 1st round pick
2022 3rd or 4th round pick
Alexander Kerfoot

To Toronto
Scott Laughton

To Philly
2nd round pick
Alexander Barabanov

Then making the deal for Hakanpaa.

Even then, I could see a team offering a better deal for Laughton, as well as a deal to Buffalo that doesn't require them to take back money in the form of Kerfoot.

I guess we'll see!

Reactions: Fogelhund

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Maybe my hopes are too high, but I have seen it in the past with Potvin and we saw it as recent as Binnington (sp?) with St. Louis straight to winning a cup!!! Its possible, there are more examples I am sure of goalies in the past that have taken over a job when they had no reason to and went on remarkable runs. Why not Campbell?

Have you ever played hockey? How about goal in a hockey league? Well I have, and there is nothing better then getting lucky or playing well, having the support of your teammates, you end up feeling like a wall. Like nothing can get past you. You feel invincible!!!!!

Like I said, maybe I am living a pipe dream. But my experiences and past goalies in the NHL have proven this is possible.

Dude Campbell is good dont get me wrong but he is no Binnington nor Potvin.

He's a solid backup!

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Yes they can but no it's still not enough... they don't have the cap space.

I don't think they get Hall either, but a lot of people are not getting that since Galchenyuk played his 10th game with the Leafs, they no longer can just add Hall (even retained 50% twice) without losing/removing one of: Matthews, Marner, Hyman, Nylander, Tavares, Galchenyuk, Engvall, Mikheyev, Simmonds, Thornton, Kerfoot, Spezza, Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, Bogosian, Andersen, Campbell.
So they only have the space for someone at less than 2 million?

I see. Should be interesting to see who Dubas can get.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Is quick washed up or his team?
Honestly they're full rebuild and started trading away all there top defensive defenseman 3years ago lol.

Fun fact, he has the same numbers as Andersen playing on one of the worst teams lolol

Quick has battle quite a bit of injury. I think father time has taken its toll.

Reactions: The Cobra

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020

Yes I've played hockey, same with my brothers who got drafted and played in the NHL....pretty ignorant of you too make a comment like that, lol honestly

Binngton had Brodeur helping him behind the scene when they won aswell, not to mention he's younger and played more games then Campbell during juniors.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Instead of laughing your ass off BUDDY. Look at the stats as to whom is better. Quick and Brown havent done a thing in 5 years. Look it up BUDDY, LMFAO.

Same goes for Murray in Pittsburgh guy had Fleury helping him!

Honestly you want to make a dumb comment be ready to back it up with facts not ignorance!

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
So they only have the space for someone at less than 2 million?

I see. Should be interesting to see who Dubas can get.
They actually had a way around it before when Galchenyuk was still waiver exempt, but that's not the case anymore.

But yea it will be really interesting to see what Dubas does (I hope).

Reactions: Jozay

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
make a damn trade!!!

Teams are probably still posturing with high prices. Dubas is likely being patient until they come down a little bit. While a trade today, or tomorrow, makes sense in terms of timing, he's not going to pull the trigger if he senses that a critical component of an asking price will be significantly less 72 hours from now than it is today.

That said, I too am excited for an inevitable trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad