Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
I haven't heard Getzlaf's name thrown out there but that would be cool. We'd have to dish out 4.1M of cap to make it work though is Getzlaf is retained at 50%

Hasn't Anaheim already paid 60% of his contract this year, technically we can get him for 2M

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think you underrate our top 6 forwards, we have Matthews/Marner and Tavares/Nylander

For the cap we are going to carry for the duration of these contracts, we can only hope to fill our top 2 lines with guys like Hyman. I think the focus needs to be on a steady and strong bottom 6 to win the cup and we mostly have the pieces to do it, but not up the middle.

I think they're 1 LW away and I believe Dubas thinks that as well. The ability to move Hyman to the 3rd line for a playoff run and reunite the HEM line, would make this the deepest offensive team in the league, IMO.

Rakell, Iafallo, Hall, Kempe, Schwartz, Garland... Those are guys that are "plug and play" top 6 options that allow you to use Hyman up and down the lineup as a Swiss Army Knife.

The best, ELITE, "third liner" in the league available to Toronto right now is on their team and it's Zack Hyman, who we've already watched dominate in that role.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hasn't Anaheim already paid 60% of his contract this year, technically we can get him for 2M

Cap hits don't work that way. How and when a player gets paid, is irrelevant. It's just the average pay of the contract, divided by years, and percentage of that year they've played.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Why would Dallas trade away players there still in a position to clinch a playoff spot, Bishop's almost ready to come back same with Seguin.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Here is what possibly can happen on the trade front when it comes to goalies:

1) Andersen is placed on LTIR so we can replace his cap hit. This is done if we know he will be back for the playoffs. We acquire any player we want that has a 5 million dollar cap hit and slot him into our lineup.

2) He is included in a deal for a 1b type goalie along with a player to slot into our top 6 (suggested Hall and Ullmark deal where 50% retained)

3) We trade him for picks. Use Andersen contract to acquire what we want with additional picks and prospects

4) We keep Campbell, Andersen and Hutch. Work on deal for top 6 forward where money is retained by team we are working with. Cost will be higher in draft capital and prospects.

My hope is option 1. But I see the Leafs doing option 4.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Cap hits don't work that way. How and when a player gets paid, is irrelevant. It's just the average pay of the contract, divided by years, and percentage of that year they've played.

They do work that way, lol.
Getzlaf has one year left and Anaheim has already paid half his current contract for the year, plus they can retain 50%.

It's the same for Andersen minus being able to retain, we have already paid 4M of his 5M contract so if we trade him a team can fit him on 1M cap.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They do work that way, lol.
Getzlaf has one year left and Anaheim has already paid half his current contract for the year, plus they can retain 50%.

It's the same for Andersen minus being able to retain, we have already paid 4M of his 5M contract so if we trade him a team can fit him on 1M cap.

Wrong, and No.

Here is a trade calculator, that calculates cap hits, etc. Trade Machine - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You can see for yourself.

Trade Deadline Q & A

How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the
deadline?

The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the
player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (186). The
amount ($10,753) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (42 days if trade is on Feb. 28) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($451,613).

Reactions: pacman25

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why would Dallas trade away players there still in a position to clinch a playoff spot, Bishop's almost ready to come back same with Seguin.

They would currently fall just short of that final playoff spot even if they were to win all of their games in hand. That's not to suggest they will definitely be sellers though. The returns of Seguin and Bishop should absolutely provide a boost to their team.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Our best bet is too trade for a #1 goalie, someone with experience....let's say Quick(50% retained) and put Andersen on LTR until the playoffs.

That still gives us 5M for trades, and if Kyle moves Kerfoot 9.2M.

We could add alot of depth for the playoffs, depending on the price.

T.Hall
J.Quick
D.Brown
Plus 1-2 solid defenseman

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Our best bet is too trade for a #1 goalie, someone with experience....let's say Quick(50% retained) and put Andersen on LTR until the playoffs.

T.Hall
J.Quick
D.Brown

Way too many assets going out the door to get that done and it would screw with the chemistry wayyyy too much.

At most, IMO, you bring in 3 players, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 2.

Any of these combinations...

1 forward, 1 d-man and 1 goalie...
2 forwards and 1 goalie
2 forwards and 1 d-man

Toronto is unlikely to move Kerfoot, in seasons IMO, and there is no way that they sit both Simmonds and Jumbo every night. At best they rotate them and get Spezza a couple breaks down the stretch, but they didn't add those guys with the intention of sitting them.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

T.Hall
J.Quick
D.Brown

That is overkill. I like the Andersen on LTIR until playoffs, opens 5 million type of player to come in. But I am ok riding our D and goalies (Campbell and Hutch) until Andersen gets back.

With 5 million plus 1.2 million we already have. If you include some contracts off our existing cap in deals we can easily acquire a top 6 forward and bonafide 3rd line checking center.

Call Nashville right away.

Forsberg (50% retained)
Bonino (50 % retained)

for

1st round pick 2021
3rd round pick 2021
Kerfoot
Barabonov
Hollowell

Forsberg-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Bonino-Micheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Rosen

Campbell
Andersen
Hutch

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Way too many assets going out the door to get that done and it would screw with the chemistry wayyyy too much.

At most, IMO, you bring in 3 players, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 2.

Any of these combinations...

1 forward, 1 d-man and 1 goalie...
2 forwards and 1 goalie
2 forwards and 1 d-man

I could see adding four... but adding a depth "backup d man", instead of a roster guy. I agree though, it's a lot to move, and the potential chemistry issues... though having said that, you would really just be adding two forwards, which shouldn't be too hard. Adding a backup goalie, really doesn't mess with chemistry.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Keep Sandin & Robertson on our depth chart...same with the two Fins we drafted this year & our goalies.....I'd be willing to trade any1 of our remaining prospects.

We have a huge opportunity this year the way the playoffs are set up...we need to take advantage!

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
even if he never puts up those actual numbers due to shortened seasons or injuries or what have you, it won't actually change what kind of player he is on the ice. don't let milestone markers distract you.
That is fair but it would change his value as if he is always pacing for 20/40 but never getting there due to injuries then that should be taken into account when trading for him and/or signing him to a contract

Reactions: zeke

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
That is overkill. I like the Andersen on LTIR until playoffs, opens 5 million type of player to come in. But I am ok riding our D and goalies (Campbell and Hutch) until Andersen gets back.

With 5 million plus 1.2 million we already have. If you include some contracts off our existing cap in deals we can easily acquire a top 6 forward and bonafide 3rd line checking center.

Forsberg (50% retained)
Bonino (50 % retained)

for

1st round pick 2021
3rd round pick 2021
Kerfoot
Barabonov
Hollowell

Forsberg-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Bonino-Micheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Rosen

Campbell
Andersen
Hutch

Its not overkill I dont trust Andersen even if he's 100%, nor do i trust Campbell winning 16games!

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020

Forsberg (50% retained)
Bonino (50 % retained)

for

1st round pick 2021
3rd round pick 2021
Kerfoot
Barabonov
Hollowell

Forsberg-Matthews-Marner
Gally-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Bonino-Micheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Rosen

Campbell
Andersen
Hutch

Why are we giving up so much for Bonino & Forsberg....you do realize what those guy were traded for right?

Quick & Brown add experience and depth also there signed for 2years if we can get that retained 50% that's GOLD....we dont have to sign another goalie in the off season for 4-6M and if Hyman walks Brown's there too fill his spot until one of our prospects are ready.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Its not overkill I dont trust Andersen even if he's 100%, nor do i trust Campbell winning 16games!

Did you trust Campbell to win 10 straight with a 1.69 GAA? Guess what it happened. People need to start believing this guy is the real deal and the team plays for him as they love him.

Start getting used to seeing Campbell as your started, and Andersen will be more then a luxury as a backup in case of injury.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I could see adding four... but adding a depth "backup d man", instead of a roster guy. I agree though, it's a lot to move, and the potential chemistry issues... though having said that, you would really just be adding two forwards, which shouldn't be too hard. Adding a backup goalie, really doesn't mess with chemistry.

If they add 4 players, IMO, they've decided to LTIR Anderson and trade Kerfoot in season... I just don't see available upgrades that move the needle enough to add 4 players, without gutting the cupboards of picks and prospects.

IMO, if you LTIR Anderson and add a Kuemper or Ullmark, Hall or Schwarts and Oleksiak, you're plenty deep and talented.

Hall or Schwartz-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Kerfoot-Spezza
Thornton

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Oleksiak / Bogosian
Dermott

Campbell
Kuemper / Ullmark

That's a pretty damn good team, but even that would be pricey.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why are we giving up so much for Bonino & Forsberg....you do realize what those guy were traded for right?

Quick & Brown add experience and depth also there signed for 2years if we can get that retained 50% that's GOLD....we dont have to sign another goalie in the off season for 4-6M and if Hyman walks Brown's there too fill his spot until one of our prospects are ready.

You can only protect one goalie in the expansion draft... You'd probably lose one of Quick or Campbell...

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Why would we waste a GOLDEN opportunity this year on hoping Andersen is healthy and plays solid like he's only done once in his career....and that was last year, mainly because our team was playing really good lol.

Nothings overkill at this point!
We could get Quick & Brown for less then it would cost us for Bonino & Forsberg.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Because Forsberg and Bonino are better then Quick and Brown thats why!!!! Quick will not unseat Campbell as the starter as long as Campbell plays the way he has been. So acquiring him is as good as keeping Andersen as the backup. I want no part of Quick next season. There will be cheaper options to pair with Campbell next season then an overaged goalie past his prime. As for Brown, I would rather use the funds on Forsberg every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. You cannot compare what Hyman brings to the team vs. Brown. Brown is done, got his contract and sailed into the sunset.

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Did you trust Campbell to win 10 straight with a 1.69 GAA? Guess what it happened. People need to start believing this guy is the real deal and the team plays for him as they love him.

It's not about believing in him or his numbers....its the fact he has never played this many games in a row ever!

Your expectations for him are wayy to high! Typicall leaf fan....he's already over achieved and you want him to win us 16 playoff games now....sorry slim but the chance of that happening and him not burning our and next to none!

Start getting used to seeing Campbell as your started, and Andersen will be more then a luxury as a backup in case of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad