Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yeah now that the Habs just placed Gallager on LTIR for the rest of the year they have some bucks to spend to upgrade and likely will spend every penny. So we know Montreal is going to get better....

Which is exactly what we should do with Freddy. If he's ready to go in the playoffs, he can be a backup.

Reactions: willmma

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Because we have a projected cap space of $485,162? That's with Galchenyuk currently on the taxi-squad & Brooks on the NHL roster. As of puck-drop tonight with Galchenyuk in the lineup, that will no longer be the case.

Edit:
Galchenyuk's pro-rated cap hit today is $289,655, Brooks is $200,000... so Galchenyuk dresses for the Leafs tonight, and Brooks assumably is sent to the taxi-squad that's $89,655 less for today's projected cap hit = $485,162 - $89,655 = $395,507.

The difference now with their 20-man roster is $465,517-$395,507 = $70,010

This cap space will not be accrued in time of the TDL.
So if we can no longer accrue cap space as of today, then would it not make sense to then flip Freddy to LTIR and give us a few days to make an upgrade with the space we have?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

May effect things in Columbus slightly, their small chance of playoff hope even less now. Also rules out Boone Jenner although I wouldn't expect he'd be moving anyways.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Any appetite on the board for a Trade involving Ryan Getzlaf (double retention) in the same mind set of adding Taylor Hall, except with an emphasis on the C position rather than LW? The following lineup comes do mind...

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Getzlaf-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza
Jumbo

Worth the look, or do we think Getz is cooked?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
So if we can no longer accrue cap space as of today, then would it not make sense to then flip Freddy to LTIR and give us a few days to make an upgrade with the space we have?
The Leafs will accrue some cap space but just not nearly enough to add 2m or 465k to the roster. Even if he's guaranteed to be out for another 24+ days, the minimum to be placed on LTIR, there's no benefit to placing him on LTIR temporarily to add a player; it's only beneficial if he's out for the entirety of the season (like Kucherov in Tampa or that time with Kane in Chicago).

LTIR only temporarily helps you go over the salary cap, it in no way helps you to accrue or have more cap space. LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Any appetite on the board for a Trade involving Ryan Getzlaf (double retention) in the same mind set of adding Taylor Hall, except with an emphasis on the C position rather than LW? The following lineup comes do mind...

Worth the look, or do we think Getz is cooked?
giphy.gif

Reactions: zeke

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Say the Leafs didn't go add any kind of top 9 forward & instead added Jamie Oleksiak @50%; it'd be pretty cool if they brought back Kyle Clifford retained as well because they could fit him in as well depending on the day of the trades. He'd be a nice tough depth add with good character for the room & very familiar with the group already, even if he's only in the lineup on certain nights. He's got 2 years at 1m which is really good for that type of player, and at 500k he'd be a bargain contract at 2/3 of the league minimum signing for next season.

If they already added Oleksiak & they had a little cap left over & he only cost a mid round pick, then why not?

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs are adding something significant I.E top 9 forward for sure.

Dubas knows this is a rare opportunity, and by not loading up you run the risk of letting an injury or something ruin you.

He's going to add, I believe the reports that say he already has the back pocket deals in place, and is waiting on bigger fish.

Reactions: The Cobra

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Who stays and who goes for the Blues at the trade deadline? Mike Hoffman? Tyler Bozak? Jaden Schwartz? Who stays and who goes for the Blues at the trade deadline? Mike Hoffman? Tyler Bozak? Jaden Schwartz? - by Jeremy Rutherford

Pack your bags:
- Mike Hoffman (UFA)
- Tyler Bozak (UFA)

Have your cellphone nearby:
- Jaden Schwartz (UFA)
- Vince Dunn (RFA)

This summer perhaps:
- Sammy Blais
- Zach Sanford (RFA)
- Ville Husso

Would the Blues ever consider:
- Vladimir Tarasenko
- Robert Thomas (RFA)

Jaden Schwartz next to Tavares and Nylander would be...very interesting.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
that gallagher injury should force Bergevin to go all in. his window is now. not only because a number of his best players of his are old, but also because a number of his best players are probably leaving in free agency this year.

tuckertowns

Sep 5, 2009
YEG
If somehow we can land Foligno and some D depth (Olesiak), I would be very content with this roster heading into the playoffs. As someone else mentioned, with Gallagher's LTIR status, the habs are going to make a trade to add a significant player. I had a feeling they will be tough to handle come playoff time. We need to add some size and intensity and I believe Foligno brings that. Olesiak paired with Bogosian will give us a bottom pair that won't be flashy but will give us good hard minutes. Dermott ready to step in when needed. Depth is good. We missed Muzzin last year and we can't have that happen again this year.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The Leafs will accrue some cap space but just not nearly enough to add 2m or 465k to the roster. Even if he's guaranteed to be out for another 24+ days, the minimum to be placed on LTIR, there's no benefit to placing him on LTIR temporarily to add a player; it's only beneficial if he's out for the entirety of the season (like Kucherov in Tampa or that time with Kane in Chicago).

LTIR only temporarily helps you go over the salary cap, it in no way helps you to accrue or have more cap space. LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That's what I was trying to say though, if we kept Fred out the rest of the regular season we could add a body.

Kucherov is already skating and they'll be allowed milk that one until playoffs, I see no reason why we couldn't pull the same stunt with Fred the way Campbell and Hutch have played.

Reactions: Kurtz

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I'd like to get Laughton, Foligno or Bennett in that order, depending on the cost. I think we are set on D. Sandin, I think will start playing soon, so we have Sandin and Liljegren for cover. If we could somehow get Ullmark or Kuemper, that'll be icing on the cake, but I don't think it'll happen.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Leafs - Stars
2021 2nd & 2022 4th
for
Jamie Oleksiak

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Travis Dermott, Alexander Kerfoot & 1st
for
Nick Foligno @ 50%, Boone Jenner @ 50%

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Gally - - Tavares - - Nylander
Hyman - Jenner - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds
Robertson - Engvall - Sabbourin

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Oleksiak - Bogosian
Sandin - Liljigren
Hard pass on both. Too much, and in the case of the Columbus one.....waaaay too much. Foligno is basically a cap dump right now even at 50%.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
That's what I was trying to say though, if we kept Fred out the rest of the regular season we could add a body.

Kucherov is already skating and they'll be allowed milk that one until playoffs, I see no reason why we couldn't pull the same stunt with Fred the way Campbell and Hutch have played.
I mean if they thought they could get medical confirmation all the through to the playoffs that Andersen is unfit to play, I'd be all for it, but they 100% would need that to be the case; if they were found lying about the extent of his condition they'd be in some really big trouble.

I do agree the Kucherov scenario is very skeptical, if I'm another team I 100% want Kucherov's health to be very closely investigated towards the end of the season. If he plays game 1 of the playoffs that's just wrong, there's no way he happens to be healthy enough to play on that particular day after a long-term 6 month injury. If I'm Tampa and I'm trying to be greasy but not get caught I'm waiting at least a few games until he plays, otherwise that's just way to bold and sketchy.

If the Leafs are under the impression that's what Tampa is doing & that they'll get away with it then f*** Tampa, they may as well do it too. Game-management to league-management at its finest.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'd like to get Laughton, Foligno or Bennett in that order, depending on the cost. I think we are set on D. Sandin, I think will start playing soon, so we have Sandin and Liljegren for cover. If we could somehow get Ullmark or Kuemper, that'll be icing on the cake, but I don't think it'll happen.

No appetite for Alex Iafallo over Sam Bennett?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
No appetite for Alex Iafallo over Sam Bennett?

I'd like someone who could play center as well as wing.

Iafallo taken 4 faceoffs this year, FO% is 0%, so he lost all his faceoffs, lol. He also only has 20 hits this year.
Bennett taken 137 faceoffs this year, FO% is 49.6%. Also 73 hits this year
Foligno taken 227 faceoffs this year, FO% is 48.9%. Also 107 hits this year
Laughton taken 254 faceoffs this year, FO% is 49.6%. Also 96 hits this year.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Not understanding the Foligno love. He's had 3 straight season at 35 points or less and is on a 32 point, 82 game pace again this year.

At this point his production is probably less than that of what Wayne Simmonds would have done had he stayed healthy, and you're going to overpay Columbus to get him due to his value from a leadership perspective.

JMO, but it doesn't make sense. Toronto didn't lose to Columbus last year because they were lacking Nick Foligno's... They lost because they got goalied by the Columbus tandem, their depth of scoring dried up and Anderson got outplayed routinely.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd like someone who could play center as well as wing.

Iafallo taken 4 faceoffs this year, FO% is 0%, so he lost all his faceoffs, lol. He also only has 20 hits this year.
Bennett taken 137 faceoffs this year, FO% is 49.6%. Also 73 hits this year
Foligno taken 227 faceoffs this year, FO% is 48.9%. Also 107 hits this year
Laughton taken 254 faceoffs this year, FO% is 49.6%. Also 96 hits this year.

Laughton is the only one I would trust as a center over our current centers.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Laughton is the only one I would trust as a center over our current centers.

Yeah, I really like Laughton, but not sure if we can get him at a fair price. I'd still take Foligno or Bennett over Engvall though. I just don't really rate Engvall that high.

Engvall taken 184 faceoffs this year, FO% is 43.8%. Also, 27 hits this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad