Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It seems like Andersen’s condition is holding up any potential trade. I recall them saying we’ll get another update this week right? Gotta be soon, only 6 days left now.
Maybe, but if it’s a trade for a goalie on a bottom feeder (I’m looking at Ullmark), why would they care so long as they get the other assets they need?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Maybe, but if it’s a trade for a goalie on a bottom feeder (I’m looking at Ullmark), why would they care so long as they get the other assets they need?

They need to know what kind of cap space they have. If Andersen is not going on LTIR, we don't have a lot of room to fit in another goalie (and would not need another goalie in general). We can't put Andersen on LTIR just because we feel like it.

Reactions: 123offtheglass

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
They need to know what kind of cap space they have. If Andersen is not going on LTIR, we don't have a lot of room to fit in another goalie (and would not need another goalie in general). We can't put Andersen on LTIR just because we feel like it.
I meant Anderson being in the deal

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wonder if Dubas is targeting the best bottom pairing defender/bottom 6 fowards already on a teams taxi squad. That way wouldn't have to pass through waiver and would be good injury insurance.

Personally I don't see a major trade happening other than perhaps a goalie upgrade. Definitely don't see the leafs top 6 defenders changing.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I meant Anderson being in the deal

Andersen may not want to be in the deal. Why would he want to leave a Cup Contender where he is the starter (or at least was the starter)?

We have to find a team not on his NTC, can afford to take him on without retention (or with minor retention), and wants him in the first place. Not exactly an easy task.

Reactions: Buds17

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Hall holds all the cards. The Sabres will bring the top 3 or so offers to him and he'll decide where he wants to go. If he wants to play in Toronto the Leafs only need to be in the ballpark with their offer. If he doesn't want to play for us it doesn't matter if our offer is twice as good as the next team.

Still not sure I want Hall. Maybe if we strike out on a gritty middle 6 guy like Palmieri/Foligno.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hall holds all the cards. The Sabres will bring the top 3 or so offers to him and he'll decide where he wants to go. If he wants to play in Toronto the Leafs only need to be in the ballpark with their offer. If he doesn't want to play for us it doesn't matter if our offer is twice as good as the next team.

Still not sure I want Hall. Maybe if we strike out on a gritty middle 6 guy like Palmieri/Foligno.

Safe to say that the main reason why Hall is attractive is that he may come at a drastically reduced price versus his potential output.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hall wouldn't be my first choice in terms of an addition to this team.

Foligno or Laughton would be better adds than him IMO.

Plus goalie insurance.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Hall live in Toronto in the offseason? If that's the case, easy choice.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hall would be a slam dunk because he gives the team so many more options, plus we don't have another winger like him. Nylander and Marner are stars no doubt, but Hall gives another element of attacking with his speed that Marner and Nylander don't do AS much since they're more calculated puck possession players(they still use their speed a lot).

Reactions: zeke and stickty111

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dubas is better off building the depth out vs eating all the cap space on one forward. Another injury in net or on D will derail the entire playoffs.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander
Iafallo ($1,212,500 - 50%) --------- (1.5m) Mik
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Merrill ($462,500) Bogo
#7LD (1m), #8RD (1m)

1) Campbell
2) Ullmark ($1,300,000 - 50% retained)
3) Bernier ($1,500,000 - 50% retained)

IN: $7,975,000
-----------------------------------------------------
OUT: (Andersen - 5m LTIR, Dermott - $874125, Engvall - $1,250,000, Hutchinson - $725,000, picks/prospects) - $7,849,125

Reactions: LeafSteel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not sure...he's born in Calgary.

I mean..he agreed to play in Buffalo so can't see him being that picky.

he is born in Calgary. His family moved to Ontario when he was a kid/teen. He bought a huge house in Etobicoke like 20 min from the practice rink. His partner apparently lives in tbr TO house. He is a leaf fan who loved kessel apparently. Just like Mcdavid loved bozak. (Lol)

if Toronto wants to/can make it happen. It all comes down to how much can be retained? I thought it was 50% no matter how many teams but apparently not

Reactions: Stigma and Marshy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Judging from Hall's great track record, i feel like we're setting ourselves up for a long losing streak if we sign him.

I suppose that will always be a thing until it's not. I think the bigger cause for concern should be another expensive winger and our cap situation.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Taylor Hall @ 50% for a 2021 2nd round pick + Mikko Kokkonen. 2022 5th round pick to Chicago for retaining another 50% of whatever is left.

Profit.

Hit me up @NHLRumoursDaily - I'm better than you at this.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ullmark is the new Weegar around here Christ almighty

Goalie not needed. We added our insurance when we acquired the goalie from Columbus.

Andersen will come back, and when he does he and Campbell will run the show with Hutch as insurance. We will then be 4 deep.

No need to waste assets on another goalie for playoff run. Focus on top 6 forward and depth D man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad