Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
nice tweets.

both because they name perfect targets in kuemper and palmieri, but also because it seems to specifically note that we're not in on Kulikov, thank god.
I can’t see them taking on a goalie with term due to the expansion draft. If you add Kuemper (who I like a lot) you’re losing him or Soupy to Seattle 100%

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can’t see them taking on a goalie with term due to the expansion draft. If you add Kuemper (who I like a lot) you’re losing him or Soupy to Seattle 100%

I would be fine bringing in Kuemper and exposing him (even potentially losing him) if the price is not ridiculous.

It just means we don't lose Kerfoot, which is a good thing given his value.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If we get a forward who comes out? I have a hard time believing Thornton sits. Engvall is a pretty good PKer.

i think its pretty clear that thornton/simmonds would be fighting for the last spot.

heck, if we add two forwards, both might be out of the lineup.

Since we added Galy and Simmonds came back in, we've iced the same 12 forwards in all 9 games:

EV TOI:

1. Matthews 18:28
2. Marner 17:23
3. Hyman 15:37

4. Tavares 14:55
5. Nylander 14:03
6. Galchenyuk 12:00

7. Kerfoot 11:56
8. Mikheyev 11:16
9. Engvall 10:51

10. Thornton 10:19
11. Simmonds 10:01
12. Spezza 9:15

PP TOI:

1. Matthews 3:28
2. Marner 3:21
3. Tavares 2:46
4. Nylander 2:31

5. Thornton 2:20
6. Simmonds 2:12
7. Spezza 1:31
8. Hyman 1:26
9. Galchenyuk 0:29

PK TOI:

1. Hyman 2:07
2. Marner 1:36

3. Mikheyev 1:10
4. Kerfoot 1:07

5. Spezza 0:49
6. Engvall 0:27

Thornton and Simmonds have received slightly more TOI than Spezza, but that's because they've bounced up to the top-3 lines and the top PP unit at time while Spezza has remained a fixture on his 3rd/4th line and on the 2nd PP unit. I'd argue that Spezza should be getting more ice time in general but either way i think we all know he's played so well he's not coming out of the lineup.

Don't really see any other options to come out of the lineup other than Thornton/Simmonds. Not unless we're adding another center which might (MIGHT) push engvall out.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I would be fine bringing in Kuemper and exposing him (even potentially losing him) if the price is not ridiculous.

It just means we don't lose Kerfoot, which is a good thing given his value.
I can see your point, if it’s a middle pick and a middle prospect or something then sure, then you build the value into also keeping your team intact otherwise, but I’m not really interested in paying the cost I think AZ would want to only then use him as the sacrificial lamb come XD

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

possibly. we could convince them not to by sweetening the pot somewhere else of course. and i'm not sure they necessarily would pick 29/30+ yr old goalies with 1yr contracts in the expansion draft.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

tenor.gif

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
man the more i look the more i think he's a perfect fit.

When I look at rental options available, then ask myself "What would I give up for Kempe @ 50% with a deal in place with Seattle not to pick him?"

The answer is a lot.

Reactions: zeke

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
possibly. we could convince them not to by sweetening the pot somewhere else of course. and i'm not sure they necessarily would pick 29/30+ yr old goalies with 1yr contracts in the expansion draft.
Vegas took Flower who was older, and although you’re right about sweetening the pot for Seattle I have very big apprehensions about doing so. Just look at how being cute with Vegas worked out for teams like Minny, Columbus and Florida.
I’ve always thought the best course of action for the team WRT the XD is just make your list and take your loss.. regardless we’re going to lose a solid player.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
i think its pretty clear that thornton/simmonds would be fighting for the last spot.

heck, if we add two forwards, both might be out of the lineup.

Since we added Galy and Simmonds came back in, we've iced the same 12 forwards in all 9 games:

EV TOI:

1. Matthews 18:28
2. Marner 17:23
3. Hyman 15:37

4. Tavares 14:55
5. Nylander 14:03
6. Galchenyuk 12:00

7. Kerfoot 11:56
8. Mikheyev 11:16
9. Engvall 10:51

10. Thornton 10:19
11. Simmonds 10:01
12. Spezza 9:15

PP TOI:

1. Matthews 3:28
2. Marner 3:21
3. Tavares 2:46
4. Nylander 2:31

5. Thornton 2:20
6. Simmonds 2:12
7. Spezza 1:31
8. Hyman 1:26
9. Galchenyuk 0:29

PK TOI:

1. Hyman 2:07
2. Marner 1:36

3. Mikheyev 1:10
4. Kerfoot 1:07

5. Spezza 0:49
6. Engvall 0:27

Thornton and Simmonds have received slightly more TOI than Spezza, but that's because they've bounced up to the top-3 lines and the top PP unit at time while Spezza has remained a fixture on his 3rd/4th line and on the 2nd PP unit. I'd argue that Spezza should be getting more ice time in general but either way i think we all know he's played so well he's not coming out of the lineup.

Don't really see any other options to come out of the lineup other than Thornton/Simmonds. Not unless we're adding another center which might (MIGHT) push engvall out.

Simmonds isn't coming out the lineup. We're already soft as is. Simmonds is the forward version of Bogosian. Neither are coming out.

Thornton on the other hand I totally believe should come out. Kerfoot could be involved in any deal for a forward as well so maybe no one comes out (assuming we only acquire 1 forward)

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Also...we're not getting Taylor Hall. I promise you we're not getting Hall. Hall's style of play makes no sense with the forward group we already have.

I expect a forward with Two Way ability and Grit/Leadership. Nick Foligno would be perfect

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Also...we're not getting Taylor Hall. I promise you we're not getting Hall. Hall's style of play makes no sense with the forward group we already have.

I expect a forward with Two Way ability and Grit/Leadership. Nick Foligno would be perfect
Yes please on both counts - no Hall and yes Foligno. A shame Palmieri apparently won't waive for Canada. Can't blame him with COVID going on, but sucks for us, really like him

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Simmonds isn't coming out the lineup. We're already soft as is. Simmonds is the forward version of Bogosian. Neither are coming out.

Thornton on the other hand I totally believe should come out. Kerfoot could be involved in any deal for a forward as well so maybe no one comes out (assuming we only acquire 1 forward)

Difference between bogo and simmonds is that bogo is actually good.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Difference between bogo and simmonds is that bogo is actually good.
Surprisingly good, was admiring his puck handling ability last night because I recall being quite worried about that when he signed, but he's pleasantly mobile and adept at handling the puck considering his career trajectory and injury issues

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Surprisingly good, was admiring his puck handling ability last night because I recall being quite worried about that when he signed, but he's pleasantly mobile and adept at handling the puck considering his career trajectory and injury issues

Yep. Both his feet and his hands are actually a plus compared to the typical physical bottom pair guy.

Whereas both Thornton and Simmonds are starting to look too slow to play much.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
LA would be absolutely insane to move Kempe in the midst of their rebuild. He's 24 years old, signed to arrest deal for another year and should be easily extendable for them in the future. Unless a team like Toronto was willing to send you a "no brainer" offer like Robertson + a 1st round pick (not happening), where you'd be getting two high end futures for the one who is currently producing, I have no idea why you'd mive him.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be absolutely pumped if the Leafs added Kempe. He'd be the ideal 3C for this squad, just as he enters his prime, but I just can't imagine a reason why LA would move the guy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

-Leafs keeping an eye on Lafallo
-Leafs interested in Palmieri but Bruins the Team to watch there
- Leafs Interested in Nick Foligno, however the ISLES the team to watch on Foligno
- Tukka Rask maybe playing his finals season in the NHL. Boston looking at goalies.
- Activity heating up on Josh Manson. Ducks want a young asset back who's ready to play

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
My continued hope is that Toronto targets a top 6 winger to play with Matthews and Marner. Hyman is a great fit there, however, he'd make the 3rd line even more dangerous, IMO, if he could play there full time, as well as on PP1 and PK1/2. You could easily get him 17-18 minutes per game doing those important jobs and turn the 3rd line into more of an offensive threat as well.

Trade / Matthews / Marner
Galchenyuk / Tavares / Nylander
Mikheyev / Engvall / Hyman
Simmonds / Kerfoot / Spezza
Jumbo

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Mike Reilly (Trade) / Bogosian
Dermott

Campbell
Kuemper (with Anderson the other way)

If you could make those 3 trades at the deadline, I genuinely think Toronto could have as good a chance of anyone to bring the cup home.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

-Leafs keeping an eye on Lafallo
-Leafs interested in Palmieri but Bruins the Team to watch there
- Leafs Interested in Nick Foligno, however the ISLES the team to watch on Foligno
- Tukka Rask maybe playing his finals season in the NHL. Boston looking at goalies.
- Activity heating up on Josh Manson. Ducks want a young asset back who's ready to play

Iafallo would be an ideal fit to plug and play with Matthews and Marner, allowing Hyman to slide to the 3rd line and wreak havoc with the reunited HEM line, while Simmonds, Kerfoot and Spezza man the 4th line and Jumbo rotates in for Simmonds and Spezza to give them nights off when need be...

Iafallo / Matthews / Marner
Galchenyuk / Tavares / Nylander
Mikheyev / Engvall / Hyman
Simmonds / Kerfoot / Spezza
Thornton

That forward group is near perfect. Maybe you could add a Laughton and upgrade Mikeheyev, moving him down to the 4th line, but realistically, I'd rather spend the extra money to add a depth defenseman like Mike Reilly, pushing Travis Dermott into a #7 role.

Flip Anderson to the Coyotes in a deal for Kuemper and go to war in the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
LA would be absolutely insane to move Kempe in the midst of their rebuild. He's 24 years old, signed to arrest deal for another year and should be easily extendable for them in the future. Unless a team like Toronto was willing to send you a "no brainer" offer like Robertson + a 1st round pick (not happening), where you'd be getting two high end futures for the one who is currently producing, I have no idea why you'd mive him.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be absolutely pumped if the Leafs added Kempe. He'd be the ideal 3C for this squad, just as he enters his prime, but I just can't imagine a reason why LA would move the guy.

Don't think he plays C at all anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad