Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Leafs are protecting Holl, they'll go 4-4-1. I'd think Kempe would basically come in as a rental that'd save the Leafs from losing anyone at the expansion draft, but the cost would likely be too high.

Personally, I don't think the Leafs need to be THAT afraid of ED implications amongst forwards if they pick up somebody with term.

Yes, it's inconvenient, but the reality is, the Leafs are going to lose a pretty decent player -- whether it's Dermott or Kerfoot. Losing Holl is a non-option, but realistically, if you're Seattle -- who would you prefer?

- A 24 year old 2-way left shot defenceman with plenty of upside that likely plays on your top 4?
- A 26 year old 2-way middle-6 forward that doesn't neccessarily have a ton of "miles" on him?
- A 29 year old top 4 defenceman with size, but somebody who kind of came out of nowhere?

Even if Holl is the preference, or if he becomes the preference because Seattle knows how much losing him would hurt... it's not an insurmountable trade to get them to take one of the other 2.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would Andreas Anthansiao be a good low-key target? Having a resurgent year in LA

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Our top 6 looks set and dangerous with Hyman on the Matthews line and Chucky's addition to the Tavares line

I think we need a 2 way line driver for the 3rd line since we have a ton of complimentary bottom 6 forwards but we seem to lack that guy who will be able to take control of a shift and change the momentum of a game whilst making his teammates better

Who's that player? Can it be a winger or does it need to be a centerman?
Ideas?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Our top 6 looks set and dangerous with Hyman on the Matthews line and Chucky's addition to the Tavares line

I think we need a 2 way line driver for the 3rd line since we have a ton of complimentary bottom 6 forwards but we seem to lack that guy who will be able to take control of a shift and change the momentum of a game whilst making his teammates better

Who's that player? Can it be a winger or does it need to be a centerman?
Ideas?

I think it's someone who drops Hyman to the 3rd so they can be used to aggressively line-match and open up soft minutes for the top-6.

Reactions: tony135420

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Back from doing done TDL research: if Dubas goes for Hall we are looking to win only this year. If he goes for Ekholm or Granlund, he is looking to win this year but also build a dynasty. Hoping he goes for the latter, big picture, long term investment play.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I just went through every single bottom team in the NHL to see who could be a possible target specifically looking at forward.

Here's what I'm hoping for:

We pull off a blockbuster trade.

Targets: Hall, Hertl, Wood, Kempe.

Not Hall's biggest fan, but out of what's available he's looking like a decent option. The other guys are young with size and can the puck in the net.

Seems unlikely to get someone like Kempe or Wood as rebuilding teams don't like to give up young power forwards. Hertl has almost no chance of being traded if San Jose wants to re-tool and not re-build and their close enough to make it in.

Out of all these guys in a blockbuster scenario, Hall is the most likely with a 3rd team involved for cap compliance. So by process of elimination Hall is the most likely for a blockbuster scenario.

More realistic scenarios:

Out of the more realistic scenario's I'm expecting someone like Palmeri or Foligno at 50 % retained or maybe someone like Tanner Pearson, Max Jones (low cap hit) or Rickard Rakell with some retention. Even Mangiapane isn't a bad player to go after... doesn't have size but can score and has a low cap hit. Dylan Strome at 6'3 and some hidden potential could be a decent gamble if the Leafs were willing to give up a top prospect not named Robertson or Sandin then Chicago might me motivated to retain a million or 1.5 million. Something like Dylan Strome at 50 % for Amirov.

Final prediction for who we could get:

One of these 7 players

Hall at 50+ %
Folingo at 50 %
Palmeri at 50 %
Rickard Rakell with retention
Tanner Pearson with retention
Max Jones
Dylan Strome

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra and Dr C

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is a deal that would work cap wise and benefit both teams a ridiculous amount. Have to read the full post.

Trade 1)

To Toronto
  • Taylor Hall @ 50 % - UFA - Both parties unlikely to continue after this season. No loss here for Buffalo.
  • Ullmark @50 % -UFA - Ullmark is a UFA and can re-negotiate with Buffalo at seasons end. We only need him for the playoffs.
  • Sam Reinhart @ 50 % - RFA - He will be returned back to Buffalo at seasons end. This is a loan structured deal.
Incoming cap hit total: 9.6.

To Buffalo:
  • Fredrick Andersen - UFA - Because his salary is only 1 million, he's actually owed less in dollars then Ullmark. Buffalo gets savings at goalie in actual dollars saved for this season.
  • Alex Kerfoot - Only gets paid 2.7 million on a 3.5 m cap hit. Probably better value then Hall in all honesty right now. Buffalo saves more $$... They get a good long term piece in Alex. Kerfoot has 2 years left after this season at a modest 2.7 million in salary.
  • 1st round pick 2021
  • 2nd round pick 2021
  • Roni Hirvonen (top 10 prospect).

Incoming cap hit total: 8.5 million.

Engvall sent down on a temporary basis for the extra cap relief required. This works cap wise.

Buffalo get's Reinhart and Ullmark back at seasons's end. So they in essence get a 1st, a 2nd, Hirvonen, Kerfoot and major cap savings for the cost of Hall and 2 months of loaning Ullmark+Reinhart.

Toronto get's the chance to have a star winger in Taylor Hall, a good upgrade at goalie in Ullmark and a two-way monster 3rd line C in Reinhart who is pacing 30 goals who will play with Zach Hyman on the 3rd line who has also paced 30 goals over his last 88 games.

Trade 2:

To Anaheim: Mikko Kokkonen, 3rd round pick. (upgraded to a 2nd in 2022 if Toronto wins the cup)

To Toronto: Max Jones 6'1 220 pounds. (863 k).

Toronto forward lines:

Hall-Matthews-Marner
Galy-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Reinhart-Mikheyev
Jones-Spezza-Simmonds

extra: Thornton, Robertson, Engvall

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
This is a deal that would work cap wise and benefit both teams a ridiculous amount. Have to read the full post.

Trade 1)

To Toronto
  • Taylor Hall @ 50 % - UFA - Both parties unlikely to continue after this season. No loss here for Buffalo.
  • Ullmark @50 % -UFA - Ullmark is a UFA and can re-negotiate with Buffalo at seasons end. We only need him for the playoffs.
  • Sam Reinhart @ 50 % - RFA - He will be returned back to Buffalo at seasons end. This is a loan structured deal.
Incoming cap hit total: 9.6.

To Buffalo:
  • Fredrick Andersen - UFA - Because his salary is only 1 million, he's actually owed less in dollars then Ullmark. Buffalo gets savings at goalie in actual dollars saved for this season.
  • Alex Kerfoot - Only gets paid 2.7 million on a 3.5 m cap hit. Probably better value then Hall in all honesty right now. Buffalo saves more $$... They get a good long term piece in Alex. Kerfoot has 2 years left after this season at a modest 2.7 million in salary.
  • 1st round pick 2021
  • 2nd round pick 2021
  • Roni Hirvonen (top 10 prospect).

Incoming cap hit total: 8.5 million.

Engvall sent down on a temporary basis for the extra cap relief required. This works cap wise.

Buffalo get's Reinhart and Ullmark back at seasons's end. So they in essence get a 1st, a 2nd, Hirvonen, Kerfoot and major cap savings for the cost of Hall and 2 months of loaning Ullmark+Reinhart.

Toronto get's the chance to have a star winger in Taylor Hall, a good upgrade at goalie in Ullmark and a two-way monster 3rd line C in Reinhart who is pacing 30 goals who will play with Zach Hyman on the 3rd line who has also paced 30 goals over his last 88 games.

Trade 2:

To Anaheim: Mikko Kokkonen, 3rd round pick. (upgraded to a 2nd in 2022 if Toronto wins the cup)

To Toronto: Max Jones 6'1 220 pounds. (863 k).

Toronto forward lines:

Hall-Matthews-Marner
Galy-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Reinhart-Mikheyev
Jones-Spezza-Simmonds

extra: Thornton, Robertson, Engvall

Our 1st, 2nd and top prospect for 3 "rentals"
Glad you are not Toronto's GM.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Our 1st, 2nd and top prospect for 3 "rentals"
Glad you are not Toronto's GM.
If you wouldn't move a 1st, 2nd, Hirvonen (all futures) for Hall, Ullmark and Sam freaking Reinhart (which would immediately make us favourites to win the cup) then I think you have the issue with valuations, not me). Not that this type of trade is likely to happen anyways.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Nick Foligno (50% retained twice) + 4th Round Draft Pick CBJ
To Columbus: Alex Kerfoot
To Chicago: 5th Round Draft Pick TOR

To Toronto: Scott Laughton (50% retained)
To Philadelphia: 2nd Round Pick, Nic Petan, Mac Hollowell

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton/Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Everyone who expects a big trade is going to be disappointed.

You have COVID (and quarantining) along with many teams who are feeling the effects of limited revenue and not willing to take on more salary (or part with decent players for a limited return).

I'm sure Dubas has a few irons in the fire but remember, it takes 2 to tango and if another team isn't willing to dance then Dubas is hardly at fault (especially if teams are asking for over payments).

Just my two cents.....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Still can’t believe Button man.

Has to be a intentional troll right?

No way he thinks LAWSON CROUSE is worth a first and a prospect.

though, there’s some posters here that would probably do that deal :laugh:

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Still can’t believe Button man.

Has to be a intentional troll right?

No way he thinks LAWSON CROUSE is worth a first and a prospect.

though, there’s some posters here that would probably do that deal :laugh:

He's Lucic 2.0. Big body, limited skill with a brick for a brain.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Reinhart hasn't been used as a C in some time. Like years. He's also been pretty sheltered defensively, over 60% OZ starts for the last three years. I appreciate trying to improve the 3c spot, but if you truly want a C, you'd have to look elsewhere.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Makes no sense to trade future picks during a fake season.

What?

This is the year we should go all in. An hfboards asterisk around the Cup winner (which will only be in place if it's the Leafs) will not take away from my enjoyment of it. The NHL officially recognized the season, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad