Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Very true but I'd ideally I hope they could at least split a good chunk of that with another line so that they could get some easier matchups themselves.

If they need easier match-ups, we paid too much money.

Beat the opposing top line head to head at even strength and use the PP as your easy ice time.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

What is Button Smoking?

To the idea of Kempe that someone else suggested in the thread, he would be a great fit as well. He forechecks, skates hard, and is skilled. Would be a great acquisition.

Also: Ekholm for the defense too of course. No idea how we could make that fit either.

Reactions: Rocker13

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Thornton I'd hope
Hall Matthews Marner
Gally Tavares Nylander

Mikheyev Engvall Hyman
Simmonds Kerfoot Spezza/Thornton

1st OA 1st OA 4th OA
3rd OA 1st OA 8th OA

Mikky Engvall Hyman
Simmonds Kerfoot 2nd OA/1st OA

It guarantees nothing, but this is...ridiculous.

Reactions: willmma

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
If they need easier match-ups, we paid too much money.

Beat the opposing top line head to head at even strength and use the PP as your easy ice time.
I didn't say the needed better matchups but it'd be beneficial don't you think? It's a strong line that could also take a lot of d-zone draws but do you really want them taking the majority of their draws there or in the offensive zone? They could go head to head with any line in the NHL, but that doesn't mean they have to do that all night.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
We still lose one of Holl or Dermott. Same as before.
I really like the idea of Kempe, but that comes with major expansion draft considerations
Leafs are protecting Holl, they'll go 4-4-1. I'd think Kempe would basically come in as a rental that'd save the Leafs from losing anyone at the expansion draft, but the cost would likely be too high.

Reactions: Eb

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The Leafs are going to lose 1 semi valuable piece in the expansion draft, I'm not too concerned with who it will be.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

YPJn0wEMcBcAMtotABMLF1v9hVm0i-s6IpZ1pkfrHWRZ6cZBJ82UOf_W9eQhW9ta2epH0XnyqVidiQRhZFK73twOEQJNfNQ

Reactions: glue and TMLAM34

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And? He's not irreplaceable. Liljegren perhaps

Not irreplaceable, but the addition of Kempe would mean losing either him or Holl, and that's a significant difference on the margin vs what we would lose other wise.

The only real reason to worry about the ED is if actions cause us to lose a more valuable player. We're losing 1 player. As long as it's 1 from a relatively equal group it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Puckstuff

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I kinda floated Crouse's name awhile ago but nowhere near for that kind of package. Maybe some sort of mid round pick or perhaps while dumping Kerfoot or something, if the Leafs do in fact make a big trade that requires them to unload some cap space.

Button is on some special stuff.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Then you're losing a cost controlled Kempe coming off (what will/would sure to be) an eye opening playoff run.

Or your losing a top 4RD on a good contract that has extremely solid numbers playing 20 minutes a night against strong competition

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Would the Wild be interested in a Kerfoot/Ryan Hartman Swap?

Scott Laughton (30% Retained) for Engvall + 2nd/3rd

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Laughton - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Hartman

I think Positionally this forward group looks a lot better. Also adds 2 forwards who fit the Playoff style that Johnston is referring too

I can't imagine that the Flyers are all that interested in Engvall.

To me, the deal for Laughton is something along the lines of:
- Laughton @ 50%
- 3rd Round Pick if the Leafs don't make the final 4

for Liljegren

Personally, I think the Leafs need to find a way to not rely on Jumbo as a top 12 forward. I think they also need to stop "messing" around with players like Granlund. They need some grit. They've got a decent amount of it in Muzzin and Bogosian on the blueline. Winnipeg is going to add a defenceman which is going to make a huge difference for them; and the path to the final 4 likely runs through Montreal & Winnipeg; both very solid defensive minded teams. In Montreal you've got a big & strong blueline. In Winnipeg, they'll probably have one after the deadline.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Absolutely no one should be losing sleep over losing one of kerfoot. Engvall. Dermott.

That said. Could we just give them a pick to take a junk player. Then trade them kerfoot after his bonus is paid?

I’m like 95% sure Arizona is losing a goalie. I would try to get Hill for dermott (they can protect him) and then try to Pawn kerfoot off on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad