Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
What the hell is CBJ doing? That is brutal.

This seems like a trade we would have been involved with three years ago (while somehow coming out of it without paying anyone a salary).

I'm as content as one can be with standing pat.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This seems like a trade we would have been involved with three years ago (while somehow coming out of it without paying anyone a salary).

I'm as content as one can be with standing pat.

It's cap circumvention for a team where money is not an issue. CBJ contacted Toronto about it so it shows how desperate they were to at least get something for their money. I'm still stunned by this move. Dave Nonis got a gift land in his lap from the heavens. Just WOW.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
It's cap circumvention for a team where money is not an issue. CBJ contacted Toronto about it so it shows how desperate they were to at least get something for their money. I'm still stunned by this move. Dave Nonis got a gift land in his lap from the heavens. Just WOW.

Exactly why I pegged it a 2011 Isles move. Weird, highly questionable moves like this were once our forte. What a nice year it's been.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Exactly why I pegged it a 2011 Isles move. Weird, highly questionable moves like this were once our forte. What a nice year it's been.

Nonis got lucky, but you're right... only the Isles could have pulled off a move like this before. The rest of the league must have taken notes from Garth and how to massage the system. Its a long ways off, but this type of move will probably be eliminated in the next CBA. Rich team advantages, that's for sure. This was also on CBJ's GM, that Horton signing was a terrible move in the first place. Good on him at least correcting his mistake. As bad as Clarkson is, he's a warm body that will actually play.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
After the Leddy signing, we know were not bringing in any D-Men on big contracts (ie: Phaneuf). Even one serviceable #6 with some grit whose seen the playoffs would have me content.

As the days go by, I just get the hunch were going to war with what we've got.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
After the Leddy signing, we know were not bringing in any D-Men on big contracts (ie:Phaneuf). Even one serviceable #6 with some grit whose seen the playoffs would have me content.

As the days go by, I just get the hunch were going to war with what we've got.

I wonder if Capuano auditions some of our young kids in Bridgeport towards the end of the season. Bridgeport is not making the playoffs so all of Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield, and Pelech would all be available to us as black aces. All of them bring some sort of size and physicality that might be needed in the playoffs if Hickey Mouse/Visnovsky/Strait are getting abused.

It would also be nice for Pulock to make his NHL debut in a regular season game in the case we need him in the playoffs. His shot could be a huge weapon on the PP. We've seen Reinhart and he was pretty good in his 2nd stint, Mayfield could be the most ready out of the bunch since he's the most seasoned and did get a cup of coffee last year where he wasn't bad when he didn't drop the gloves - ouch. Remember that Brock Nelson made his NHL debut in the playoffs, talk about stacking the deck against him though.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I wonder if Capuano auditions some of our young kids in Bridgeport towards the end of the season.

The thought has crossed my mind. If that's the case, I think now is the time. Why Wait? I mean, for a player like Pulock who hasn't seen NHL ice, wouldn't it be better to bring him up during the regular season? If he can hang, then GREAT!

I'd much rather deploy our bluechip types strategically as oppose to on an emergency basis or out of desperation, Once one of our forwards returns we can send Mall Rat back to BPT and recall a D-Man. I like your thinkin Junior...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The NHL should veto this trade, IMO. As far as I know they could. It's as close to trading cash for cap space as you can get.

I just said the same thing on the main boards. Bettman intervened in the original Kovalchuk deal because it was "against the spirit of the CBA." How is this trade not, "against the spirit of the CBA?" :shakehead

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
Michael Stone would be good pick up for the right price from Arizona.

What would you consider the right price to be?

Also, I don't expect any trades at 1030 pm of course, but is there an official cutoff time when you're not allowed to trade?

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Feels good not to be sellers. Spending the deadline hoping we can get a 2nd rounder for crap player x.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I just said the same thing on the main boards. Bettman intervened in the original Kovalchuk deal because it was "against the spirit of the CBA." How is this trade not, "against the spirit of the CBA?" :shakehead

And after rightfully stripping NJ of it's first rounder, Bettman bent to Lou L's will and gave the Devils a replacement first rounder:shakehead

I'm not too happy with Bettmen. I also see this as cap circumvention. Make a bad signing or trade? Bettman should not be handing out do overs

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I would like to see the Isles try and get Timonen for a conditional pick , he would be good depth with a hopefully a little left in the tank. You could never have to much depth on D in the playoffs. If he is at 60% he is still better than the 3rd pairing guys presently on the roster.

BroadwayJay*

I would like to see the Isles try and get Timonen for a conditional pick , he would be good depth with a hopefully a little left in the tank. You could never have to much depth on D in the playoffs. If he is at 60% he is still better than the 3rd pairing guys presently on the roster.

My DREAM is that the Flyers decide to go with a youth movement:

Strait for Timmonen. :naughty:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We did our spending before the season and picked up 2 top 4 defensman that have helped us become a playoff team.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
As awful as Strait is, Timonen hasn't been that much better as of late. And that was before sitting out an entire season.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
As awful as Strait is, Timonen hasn't been that much better as of late. And that was before sitting out an entire season.

AS of late when in the offseason when he had a blood clot in his lungs? He has not played this season yet. Also he was the Flyers top dman last season at 36 years old. He comes with tons of experience and is the kind of player you want on the roster going into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad