Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That’s an interesting point. Why do you think that is?
I think there is more of an appreciation for context and details in European soccer analysis. I used to say that it mirrors the difference in Western and European cultures, but at this point I imagine that European culture has evolved to mostly mimic Western culture because of the sheer global dominance of Western (i.e., U.S.) culture. It feels like very few people stop to think on this side of the world. Everything has to be an immediate, and definitive, reaction. Us or them. The more polarizing you are, the more popular, and in many cases the more successful, you are. We live in a world of extremes.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Exactly. Maintaining a long term playoff team generates far more than a few one and done attempts which require many years of non playoff hockey to rebuild.

We, the fans, deserve better.

Better than being lied to. Better than being fed broken promises. The fans deserve better.

Better than this:

Tanenbaum tells us "Our entire organization wants nothing more than to deliver a team that makes you proud". Shanahan promised a cup and boldly declared "We are going to get this done". Dubas assured us "we can and we will".

Not one of them delivered.

The owner is a big dummy who doesn't care about winning. With a president who knows batshit about building a contending hockey team. A dumb owner and dumber president.

Or maybe it's the other way around.

Dumb management.
Largely casual fanbase.
Media that licks the teams ass.

It's the worst possible mix.

The should just sell the damn team to an individual owner who only cares about leaving a winning legacy and has no desire in building a monolithic sports media monopoly.

• Haha
Reactions: Leafidelity

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think there is more of an appreciation for context and details in European soccer analysis. I used to say that it mirrors the difference in Western and European cultures, but at this point I imagine that European culture has evolved to mostly mimic Western culture because of the sheer global dominance of Western (i.e., U.S.) culture. It feels like very few people stop to think on this side of the world. Everything has to be an immediate, and definitive, reaction. Us or them. The more polarizing you are, the more popular, and in many cases the more successful, you are. We live in a world of extremes.
Which leads to the obvious....almost universally, critical thought and civilized debate has been replaced by moral outrage. personal attacks and "gang stalking" - ie, purely emotional responses.

It's why our society has decayed to a shell of it's former self. Sadly, this very board is a shining example of this. Anyone who does not fit the mold or the narratives pushed gets mocked.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Which leads to the obvious....almost universally, critical thought and civilized debate has been replaced by moral outrage. personal attacks and "gang stalking" - ie, purely emotional responses.

It's why our society has decayed to a shell of it's former self. Sadly, this very board is a shining example of this. Anyone who does not fit the mold or the narratives pushed gets mocked.
Pretty much. I imagine it will only get worse.

Reactions: kb

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Huh? Europe is part of the west.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Mike Johnson isn't getting the colour commentary job for the Leafs broadcasts on TSN right, it's just preseason? Someone say yes? Drove me nuts all night. Don't mind him on a panel or the radio but ugh, not the live broadcast, please.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Ray still did our games on TSN for 21-22 but left to do ESPN full time last year. MJ became our main guy on TSN last year.

Also I completely disagree about MJ, he’s great.
How out of the loop am I lol.. ok, I'll put it down to preseason. Just seemed flippant. As said, always have liked as panelist and on radio.

I'll blame cutting cable and TSN's crappy online platform for this, I probably just watched the highlights on half of TSN games last year, I wish TSN online was a replica of Sportsnet online, SN is online friendly. Trying to watch a Leaf game that TSN broadcast after the fact on a schedule that mostly includes home from driving kids around to arenas until 9pm nightly is brutal.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Winning a Cup would bring in incalculable amounts of money for shareholders. It could not possibly be higher then if they won a Championship.

Problem is that winning the Cup is very, very difficult.

A basic cost/benefit analysis: How much more would it cost, organization-wise, to bring in the people and resources to come as close to possible to ensuring a Cup win vs. doing what they are now and getting a single round of revenue each year and making do (a fortune) on things like merchandising, TV ad revenue etc.

Sure, if they went to a Cup they'd make more revenue but if MLSE spent $100M more on the team over the next ten years - facilities, training, coaches, doctors, scouts, accommodations, you name it - it wouldn't so much as guarantee a single playoff series win.

That's why the argument that Bob McCown made years ago still likely holds true: MLSE wants to win, of course, they just don't feel like they have to (to make enough $ to keep everyone important happy).

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Ray still did our games on TSN for 21-22 but left to do ESPN full time last year. MJ became our main guy on TSN last year.

Also I completely disagree about MJ, he’s great.

Ray is going to be the new SN guy for Vancouver local games.

He is only doing 20 some this year as he still has a clause from his time at TSN restricting it for this year, but will be full time next year and going forward.

It's a f***ing shame that the best in the business is going to be stuck in a shitty niche market doing SN games, but c'est la vie.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He said Keys were in the box ?

Odog may get suspended again after that start to Overdrive, but he’s bang on no issues with what he said.
After having one car stolen (a Yukon), and the replacement (another Yukon - need the massive space for all of the kids and the dog) attempted to be stolen (props to the Ghost Immobilizer that I had installed on the replacement car for preventing it from being stolen the second time), I can sympathize with him. However, to suggest that the manufacturer is ever going to do anything about it is naive. When one car is stolen, it simply creates another sale for them. Why spend additional money on theft prevention when you can make another sale?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hair gel and humble beginnings: Behind the anchor's desk for Day 1 at Sportsnet - Sportsnet.ca

SN-original-anchors-640x360.jpg

Brad Fay, Daren Millard, Mike Toth and Jamie Campbell

TSN was the lone wolf on the landscape and already well into its second decade of owning the Canadian audience. “Survival” would have been the word more people threw out when Sportsnet hit the airwaves that fall. (For the record, Survivor, the landmark reality show, was still almost two years away from its debut.) If internet polls had been popular back then, an overwhelming majority would have voted “NO” on the prospect of a second national sports network making it beyond five years, let alone to 25. And yet, here we are.

Along with a limited number of production and management staff, only three on-air people have remained with the network for the entire 25 years: Rob Faulds, who Sportsnet inherited from CTV, Jamie Campbell and yours truly.

Faulds worked in live events from Day 1 at Sportsnet. His days “on the desk” were already behind him and he showed little to no mercy when promoting our show — the nightly recap program, Sportscentral.

“Stay tuned for Sportscentral with Fay and Millard,” began one memorable throw, on a night I was working with fellow Day 1er Daren Millard, “to see who has more gel in his hair tonight.”

Campbell, co-anchored the inaugural Sportscentral, throwing to me for a report from Vancouver, where I had been hired to serve as a regional reporter. Four months later, I was brought to Toronto to work alongside him on the weekend edition. Fittingly, the first time we physically met was at one of this nation’s great sporting cathedrals, Maple Leaf Gardens, just two days before it hosted its final game… and one day before our debut as a tandem.

Like many anchors in that first year, I had come from the West to the centre of the universe — the same week then-mayor of Toronto Mel Lastman called in the armed forces to combat a snowstorm — and it’s impossible to overstate the impact of walking into that state-of-the-art studio for the first time. The mass of television sets that served as our studio backdrop, like the Brady Bunch opening on steroids, set us apart from TSN, as did the hope that we would provide a little more irreverence for the viewers.

Early reviews, as you can imagine, were mixed. For every young sports fan laughing along with our antics, there were as many “serious” fans who, if Twitter had existed back then, would have told us to shut up and “stick to scores.”

Sportsnet’s start-up strategy was to identify on-air personalities who had garnered just enough experience to make the move to the national level, but who remained unfamiliar to most of the viewing audience, so we could be branded unquestionably as the network’s own. We then donned baggy suits with shoulder pads, pastel shirts and — yes, Fauldsy — tidy sums of hair product.

There was healthy internal competition from the start.

Millard set the early pace. He was much better than the rest of us. And the calm presence you still see from Darren Dreger today was already evident when he was an original at Sportsnet, both anchoring Sportscentral and hosting our NHL coverage.

Right from the outset, Jamie, my co-anchor for the first six months, was the one who took the craft most seriously.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't even mind Caroline Cameron, Jamal Mayers or even Sam Cosentino but it's pretty sad this is the roster Sportsnet tosses out to begin the season. It's a premier night in the league, these aren't premium analysts.
Thought the same. 10th year in, and at this point Rogers is going through the motions until the contract runs out in a few years. Pretty C-level panel for an opening night.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hands down worst coverage in the NHL. I want local games to be covered by Leafs fans. Its not the News dummies.

Anyone else with me that they like watching along with people that are invested in the game and team somewhat?

We may as well just get the golf guys in here. That was a, great drive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad