Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Most sports reporting are mediots ….from the NFL to NHL is all TMZ reporting.

Not sure how fans listen to these clowns daily.

Toronto is one of the worst. Even the NHL broadcast of leafs sound like they hate the leafs.

IMHO …sports mediots all try to cause a stir …fabricate crap and hide behind sources they never reveal.
Plus the audience nowadays are more concerned about fantasy games and betting

It’s crazy chatting with people about sports as they think everything they hear from these mediots is gospel
Why would any journalist be stupid enough to reveal sources

Reactions: colchar

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Its probably been said, but i'll say it again. Fan590/Sportsnet hasn't been the same since they fired Bob McCown and a lot of good radio & tv people in 2019.

They are trying to go on the cheap now, and it shows.

The best guy left on Fan590/SN is Jeff Blair, and he has good chemistry with Kevin Barker.

Kyper & Bourne are ok, but now they changed it to just basically 1 hour of Leafs coverage. There's already 2 hours of Jeff Marek show that covers everything but the Leafs.

And what's with that Ailish/Justin pregame show? I don't get it.

Ennis/Gunner in the morning is meh, Bunkis is meh. I don't listen to the raptors guys.

There's hardly any programming during a weekend. Radio is dying.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

IMHO most of the time they use it to hide behind....and make stupid rumours.

Sure some may have sources.....but we witnessed that alot of it is guessing at trade deadlines...and then you have your mediots like Simmonds who just cause a stir.

I meam look at the stupid questions Mathews got asked recently.....sports media is TMZ now.

All the good ones have gotton old or have passed away.

Byt t

Reactions: TheShape and kb

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Anybody watching this disaster on TSN2?

Why is there such a desire to place people in positions they have no business in because of propaganda

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Its probably been said, but i'll say it again. Fan590/Sportsnet hasn't been the same since they fired Bob McCown and a lot of good radio & tv people in 2019.

They are trying to go on the cheap now, and it shows.

The best guy left on Fan590/SN is Jeff Blair, and he has good chemistry with Kevin Barker.

Kyper & Bourne are ok, but now they changed it to just basically 1 hour of Leafs coverage. There's already 2 hours of Jeff Marek show that covers everything but the Leafs.

And what's with that Ailish/Justin pregame show? I don't get it.

Ennis/Gunner in the morning is meh, Bunkis is meh. I don't listen to the raptors guys.

There's hardly any programming during a weekend. Radio is dying.
At one point the Fan590 had a lineup that included Brady and Walker, Tim and Sid, and Bobcat leading PTS. That was the peak. Talk about changed times.

The day McCown was let go was the death blow to Toronto sports radio (yes, including OverDrive).

Thank goodness my days of driving into the office and listening to sports radio ended with the pandemic, just months after McCown's exit.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
At one point the Fan590 had a lineup that included Brady and Walker, Tim and Sid, and Bobcat leading PTS. That was the peak. Talk about changed times.

The day McCown was let go was the death blow to Toronto sports radio (yes, including OverDrive).

Thank goodness my days of driving into the office and listening to sports radio ended with the pandemic, just months after McCown's exit.
That was a good lineup, but at one time the fan590 had McCown, Shulman, Stellick, Digiulio, Shaky Hunt and the late night Vampire.You could listen to the station all day.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Siegel and Mirtle whining their whole podcast that the depth players aren't scoring all the goals is some interesting.

You'd think for two guys who are obsessed with stats they'd do the relatively simple math and figure out that depth players, do not, in fact, score goals every game. Hence them being depth players.

Like it kills me when their complaint about the Leafs is Matthews scores the most goals. No shit dude, that's how it works.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Siegel and Mirtle whining their whole podcast that the depth players aren't scoring all the goals is some interesting.

You'd think for two guys who are obsessed with stats they'd do the relatively simple math and figure out that depth players, do not, in fact, score goals every game. Hence them being depth players.

Like it kills me when their complaint about the Leafs is Matthews scores the most goals. No shit dude, that's how it works.

Especially when your sinking 50% of your cap on 4 forwards

For that kind of outlay they better ******* score more than the other guys

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Berger did a blog post about him a while back. Working as a security guard and wasn't doing well financially at the time.
Speaking of Berger, wasn’t he the one that told us that Sportsnet is completely changing their on-air personalities this season? Beside one change - Bieksa’s awful haircut - not seeing much other change.

Reactions: the squared circle

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
LoL

He was, probably still is, a huge Leafs fan.
I remember when Rumack and Lajoie had a show on TV. Unlike today, radio hosts were just that, and you would never know what they looked like. So it was a bit of a shock the first time I saw them, because their voices didn't match their looks -- Lajoie looked like Chucky and Rumack had thinning hair and such bad acne.

Reactions: Nineteen67

MK78

Apr 8, 2023

Yeah and when they had Hockey Central at noon with Kyper & MacLean.

At least now on Kyper & Bourne they have MacLean on Fridays for a hilarious segment called "Off the Rails". MacLean never disappoints.

Anyone remember the argument with McCown and MacLean, it was during the early days of Coyotes saga where MacLean was involved in some consulting for Balsillie who was trying to buy and relocate them. It was an epic battle on live radio.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah and when they had Hockey Central at noon with Kyper & MacLean.

At least now on Kyper & Bourne they have MacLean on Fridays for a hilarious segment called "Off the Rails". MacLean never disappoints.

Anyone remember the argument with McCown and MacLean, it was during the early days of Coyotes saga where MacLean was involved in some consulting for Balsillie who was trying to buy and relocate them. It was an epic battle on live radio.

I remember this segment.

Brunt was great. That show slowly died after they brought in that Yankee.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Morning sports radio in this city has to be some of the worst in North America. 1050 just simulcasts whatever ESPN show is on, as though most people in this city care about US college football (yes, yes, Colorado and Deion Sanders, super). Meanwhile, the quality of the on-air personalities on 590 practically makes me wish that station just simulcasted ESPN as well. About 20 minutes ago I finally had to turn the radio off because I couldn't take it anymore. When your sports station starts talking about airplane etiquette, it's time to re-think your format.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This thread is turning into a litany of complaints by Leafs Fans about anyone who's in hockey media. Why do people see constructive criticism as "hating" ?

Do you just want cheerleaders reporting on hockey?

Criticism is important. It means they care and that they respect the game.

When you go to a restaurant is everything good on the menu? It probably isn't. You might like the way they cook a steak, but maybe they fall short on the poached salmon.

Not every game by the Dallas Cowboys is a masterpiece. Sometimes the running game suffers, and sometimes the pass protection just wasn't there.

You don't have to love every hockey personality, but this board's specialty is to hate all of them!

Why can't you just see that they sometimes care about the Leafs as much as you do.

Reactions: Americanadian

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Morning sports radio in this city has to be some of the worst in North America. 1050 just simulcasts whatever ESPN show is on, as though most people in this city care about US college football (yes, yes, Colorado and Deion Sanders, super). Meanwhile, the quality of the on-air personalities on 590 practically makes me wish that station just simulcasted ESPN as well. About 20 minutes ago I finally had to turn the radio off because I couldn't take it anymore. When your sports station starts talking about airplane etiquette, it's time to re-think your format.
They should simulcast Finebaum, at least they talk about the good college football conference.

This thread is turning into a litany of complaints by Leafs Fans about anyone who's in hockey media. Why do people see constructive criticism as "hating" ?

Do you just want cheerleaders reporting on hockey?

Criticism is important. It means they care and that they respect the game.

When you go to a restaurant is everything good on the menu? It probably isn't. You might like the way they cook a steak, but maybe they fall short on the poached salmon.

Not every game by the Dallas Cowboys is a masterpiece. Sometimes the running game suffers, and sometimes the pass protection just wasn't there.

You don't have to love every hockey personality, but this board's specialty is to hate all of them!

Why can't you just see that they sometimes care about the Leafs as much as you do.
Poached salmon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad