Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t know who he is, but this JD Bunkis guy won’t shut up and let his guest speak.
“Ok before you get to that….” Then a 3-5 minute verbal evacuation. I’m glad I had not come across him until now. I know to avoid his channel etc.
I actually enjoy Bunkis. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but enjoy listening to him talk.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
I actually enjoy Bunkis. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but enjoy listening to him talk.
Ya man, what's up? how we doing?

I just think that one of the best parts about listening to bunkis speak is that the guy is more relatable than a lot of the other local personalities that you hear speak on the radio, you know, where no one can interrupt him or if they do, it's probably a good bet that it's a new producer that has absolutely wrong hot takes ALL THE TIME and those takes should be probably .... Wait a minute ... Do we have a count .... No? Ok. They should probably just be disregarded cause ya, you know, he has a guest and it's not even a bad guest and no matter what, he'll speak his mind and at times seem to carry on. But you know what? It's fine. And it's fine cause hes a legit Toronto sports fan. You know? Toronto. And who cares that he's a Seahawks fan, right? It's not like he has bad NFL takes. Plus he has range. Some of his best conversations are with Ariel. But ya anyways, how are you doing?

Reactions: Apex Predator

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hands down worst coverage in the NHL. I want local games to be covered by Leafs fans. Its not the News dummies.

Anyone else with me that they like watching along with people that are invested in the game and team somewhat?

We may as well just get the golf guys in here. That was a, great drive.
It’s sad when the news is covered by fans and sports is covered by neutral people

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Most sports reporting are mediots ….from the NFL to NHL is all TMZ reporting.

Not sure how fans listen to these clowns daily.

Toronto is one of the worst. Even the NHL broadcast of leafs sound like they hate the leafs.

IMHO …sports mediots all try to cause a stir …fabricate crap and hide behind sources they never reveal.
Plus the audience nowadays are more concerned about fantasy games and betting

It’s crazy chatting with people about sports as they think everything they hear from these mediots is gospel

Reactions: ktownhockey

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Toronto is one of the worst. Even the NHL broadcast of leafs sound like they hate the leafs.

IMHO …sports mediots all try to cause a stir …fabricate crap and hide behind sources they never reveal.

It’s crazy chatting with people about sports as they think everything they hear from these mediots is gospel
Be more specific.

Why is it a media person's responsibility to reveal their sources? Does that even make sense to you?

It was reported last deadline that the leafs were interested in Ryan O'Reilly. Ok. It's an interesting/newsworthy tidbit for both fans of STL and TOR. Are you saying that in order to satisfy fans the secret insider source is important?

Last edited:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Why is it a media person's responsibility to reveal their sources? Does that even make sense to you?
It was reported last deadline that the leafs were interested in Ryan O'Reilly. Ok. It's an interesting/newsworthy tidbit for both fans of STL and TOR. Are you saying that in order to satisfy fans the secret insider source is important?
Because most of the time it’s crap made up and their is no truth to it.

Sure sometimes they might hear a whisper but most mediots hide behind their so called sources to make it sound legit.

How many times do we hear the leafs were trading someone or looking to trade for someone and it ends up being hogwash . All the sake for clicks and to cause a stir.

Look at Mr Blue Suit Ed Werder in the NFL making crap rumour constantly. Steve Simmonds is another mediot.

TO media is on par or worse then those idiots. IMHO

And concerning OReilly …when he didn’t resign who were the mediots that’s said it was because of the lockeroom? And we all know that was false

But people ate it up as gospel

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I don’t know who he is, but this JD Bunkis guy won’t shut up and let his guest speak.
“Ok before you get to that….” Then a 3-5 minute verbal evacuation. I’m glad I had not come across him until now. I know to avoid his channel etc.
His "like:whatever" ratio is on par with your typical 13 year old girl. He's unlistenable

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Because most of the time it’s crap made up and their is no truth to it.

Sure sometimes they might hear a whisper but most mediots hide behind their so called sources to make it sound legit.

How many times do we hear the leafs were trading someone or looking to trade for someone and it ends up being hogwash . All the sake for clicks and to cause a stir.

Look at Mr Blue Suit Ed Werder in the NFL making crap rumour constantly. Steve Simmonds is another mediot.

TO media is on par or worse then those idiots. IMHO

And concerning OReilly …when he didn’t resign who were the mediots that’s said it was because of the lockeroom? And we all know that was false

But people ate it up as gospel
You keep talking in absolutes, you keep riding on inuendos. You also throw in conspiracies to boot. You have the four pilars of cynicism covered. No one hides behind sources. No one makes stuff up. These are knowledgeable hockey people that know other hockey people.

If you're referring to Hockeybuzz / Eklund then yeah, but no one with a grade 8 education buys that stuff.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You keep talking in absolutes, you keep riding on inuendos. You also throw in conspiracies to boot. You have the four pilars of cynicism covered. No one hides behind sources. No one makes stuff up. These are knowledgeable hockey people that know other hockey people.

If you're referring to Hockeybuzz / Eklund then yeah, but no one with a grade 8 education buys that stuff.
The media can legally lie to you.

The MSM in not infallible, or fully sourced, or 'connected'. They are there simply to create and push narratives.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

Bunkis is the one that said O’Rielly didn’t sign with leafs because of locker room issues . Mirtle actually corrected him and said definitely it wasn’t true .

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The media can legally lie to you.

The MSM in not infallible, or fully sourced, or 'connected'. They are there simply to create and push narratives.

Remember the good old days when there were definitely WMD'S in Iraq?

Started a war with that sucker

Reactions: kb

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
The US government feed it to the media who believed them without any form of verification

It took both of them working together to screw that one up
They reported what they were told. You were told directly by the state that there were wmd. You didn't need an Elliott Freidman to reiterate.

Sports media reports whatever gets them clicks. Not what they know or were told.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They reported what they were told. You were told directly by the state that there were wmd. You didn't need an Elliott Freidman to reiterate.

Sports media reports whatever gets them clicks. Not what they know or were told.

So? If they believe everything the US government spoon feeds them without doing there jobs and verifying it they are just as culpable

Makes them no different to any of the sports broadcasters or journos

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
So? If they believe everything the US government spoon feeds them without doing there jobs and verifying it they are just as culpable

Makes them no different to any of the sports broadcasters or journos
Their job is to report the news. Not make things up.

If they report what's being said on a podium, that's news.

If they throw out their own "musings" as facts, that's not reporting the news.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

Keep on believing what the sports media feeds you

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
His "like:whatever" ratio is on par with your typical 13 year old girl. He's unlistenable
I listen to the post game show on the Fan via Podcast. If not for that I would never have known who he was... he is on that pod with Sammy from Kyper & Bourne. Yea, based on what I hear on there no way in hell I would ever listen to his show.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I will say this, most of Toronto media are not leafs fans. They grew up in other markets but live here because it’s the best and most popular media market. You have a select few who grew up leafs fans, Then even a smaller few who played for the leafs and the leafs are their favourite team

Reactions: Da Mash

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I will say this, most of Toronto media are not leafs fans. They grew up in other markets but live here because it’s the best and most popular media market. You have a select few who grew up leafs fans, Then even a smaller few who played for the leafs and the leafs are their favourite team
And I think that is why the secondary sportscast market (read podcast) has emerged right? At some point you want to listen to someone who is as excited as you are when the team or a player is doing well, and you want someone who is as pissed off as you are when the team is struggling.

I find myself looking for those as irrational as me, but also I really like some of the level headed podcasts as well that help me balance my silliness.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
CJ is one of the better Leafs/NHL insider. Glad he's getting a better spot to write his stuff.

If he really wants to progress, he needs to be less of a homer. He lets his fandom show through way too often. That is fine if you want to remain a Toronto-only journalist, but you have to be able to be more objective if you want to be national.

Reactions: Forecheck1

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The question is, does that time slot generate enough money to hire quality broadcasters?

I was just going to say the same. The time slot has everything to do with the drop in quality of the program. The broadcasters who made it worth listening to have been moved into more prominent time slots like the late afternoon/early evening commute home.

We are in for a world of pain if Kyper and Bourne are on the Sportsnet panel for Leafs games this year. Dear God.

They are awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad