Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
That would be unfortunate imo. I listen to them via podcast so easy to skip it I guess... I feel it might end up being like Hockey Central at Noon for the final hour... hit and miss with the biggest hit being no effing arrogant Jeff Marek. I can't listen to the 32 Thoughts pod due to him... argh. It's probably a me problem, but I like to deflect.
lol no i feel you too

Reactions: wingman75

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I find Marek equally unlistenable, but I find most sports journalists to be unlistenable, so it might just be me. Bob McCowan was one of the few guys that I liked.
The McCown podcast is OK when they talk hockey and some Jays.
However they lose credibility with some of the guests they have, namely that insane lunatic from NY that used to be on ESPN and MSNBC.

Hour 2 of kyper and Bourne now will be national, so maybe some of that changes. I suspect it will only be leafs heavy in the first hour.
Does Kyper and Bourne start tomorrow?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Any good leaf podcast worth listening too? I’ve been listening to the leaf report but looking to see what else is out there.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We are in for a world of pain if Kyper and Bourne are on the Sportsnet panel for Leafs games this year. Dear God.
Honestly, I generally mute the tv when I watch. I can't listen to most of these guys. I get that the nature of media is that the more sensational and bombastic you are, generally the better the ratings, but it's just not for me. I can't deal with the Biz Nasty's of the world. Hell, even Pat McAfee grates on my nerves, and he is probably the most popular sports "journalist" right now. All I want is to hear people present their opinions and arguments in a rational, coherent and calm manner, without arrogance. Give me Bob McKenzie every day of the week. Even Friedman. I don't even mind Jeff O'Neill. The rest are almost universally unwatchable and un-listenable.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
The McCown podcast is OK when they talk hockey and some Jays.
However they lose credibility with some of the guests they have, namely that insane lunatic from NY that used to be on ESPN and MSNBC.

Does Kyper and Bourne start tomorrow?
Yeah, was supposed to start October 3th for a week of 1 hour shows on radio only. Programming on the website does not mention it, but that might just be sloppy maintenance. Two hours and TV start on the 10th.

Who is the 'lunatic' you mention? I find the pod usually entertaining and informative. Really miss Bob though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, was supposed to start October 3th for a week of 1 hour shows on radio only. Programming on the website does not mention it, but that might just be sloppy maintenance. Two hours and TV start on the 10th.

Who is the 'lunatic' you mention? I find the pod usually entertaining and informative. Really miss Bob though.
Olbermann, the guy is deranged. It’s not schtick either he’s completely unstable. I wouldn’t associate with him, if I was them.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I dunno if it counts as Toronto media but I miss Tim and Sid
Yeah, they were at the top of the business and could have run with it for a very long long time. They had that "it" factor.

Now Sid is fake outraging on a breakfast show, and Tim for whatever reason is having his talents wasted being relegated to doing highlights.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
We are in for a world of pain if Kyper and Bourne are on the Sportsnet panel for Leafs games this year. Dear God.
Que the dramatic hot takes. Amazing the difference between Sportsnet and TSN. I watch every game delayed. I will watch a sportsnet game in a little over an hour, because I simply can't stand listening to them. TSN, I find myself watching most of the game, because for the most part I enjoy the commentary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad C

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Let's be honest, the only people interested in that conversation are Hayes and Jeff... he did us a favour!

Funny though how Hayes phrased the absences, "Noodes is in Halifax working, I dunno what O-Dog is up to, but he's not here" lol

I don't care much about the Ryder Cup either, it's the banter between the two when one side has a hot take that turns out to be absolutely brutal.

Reactions: wingman75

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Honestly, I generally mute the tv when I watch. I can't listen to most of these guys. I get that the nature of media is that the more sensational and bombastic you are, generally the better the ratings, but it's just not for me. I can't deal with the Biz Nasty's of the world. Hell, even Pat McAfee grates on my nerves, and he is probably the most popular sports "journalist" right now. All I want is to hear people present their opinions and arguments in a rational, coherent and calm manner, without arrogance. Give me Bob McKenzie every day of the week. Even Friedman. I don't even mind Jeff O'Neill. The rest are almost universally unwatchable and un-listenable.
The theee you identified as listenable at the end are some of the smarmiest and worst going in my opinion. Odog is largely unlistenable, Bob is too busy slinging margaritas and Elliotte is the epitome of arrogant and elitist, he’s also a weasel for his handlings of hockeys touchiest subjects lately. People expect better from hockeys premier “insider” when important topics come to light.
People enjoy mcafee because he and his crew talk about and break down games like how a lot of us do in conversation. Pat’s also a guy who’s definitely earned the right to “know it alll seeing as he literally has been there, was elite at his job and was around greats. Also the PMS is nothing short of a success story as a business model. Dude turned him and his buddies shit talking for 3 hours into a mega deal with the mouse house for a metric eff ton of coin.
That show pulls some incredible guests and has a lot of “inside baseball” insight if you’re a football fan.

Talked too much of the non-mainstream sports for me. May as well listen to ESPN.
I appreciate the diversity and wide spectrum. Can’t be all leafs all the time. One can only listen so much handwringing over the 13th forwards usage and back up goalie options when there’s actual large news breaking around the sports world.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Couldn’t watch the intermission last night but it sounds like Kypreos and Bourne had some dumb moments. Sounds like Kyper had subtle beef with Friedman and his point about Rielly being upset at Klingberg coming to take his spot on PP1 is a massive mischaracterization of Morgan. Bourne apparently brought up Bunting as a penalty killer the Leafs lost in the offseason when Bunting never played a PK role here.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Couldn’t watch the intermission last night but it sounds like Kypreos and Bourne had some dumb moments. Sounds like Kyper had subtle beef with Friedman and his point about Rielly being upset at Klingberg coming to take his spot on PP1 is a massive mischaracterization of Morgan. Bourne apparently brought up Bunting as a penalty killer the Leafs lost in the offseason when Bunting never played a PK role here.
How does Sportsnet even do a job posting?

Required credentials for a Leaf analyst.

IQ <= 50
Hate Leafs
Sound stupider than the IQ suggests.
Become unhinged at key moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad